Need trouble shooting and GPU advice

Arhu

Two Sides
Staff Member
Administrator
Since two days ago my computer's display randomly freezes, but not completely.

I'm familiar with GPU overheating issues, those made my computer freeze completely, but this time it seems to be different. Display is frozen, but everything else is still working. I can press keys, the hard disk is still making its usual noises.

When I power off the system by pressing-and-holding the power button and try to restart, startup is behaving erratically. I need to turn off the power supply for 10 seconds or so and turn it back on.

I tried booting a live system from CD. It went fine, but again after maybe 1-3 minutes the display stopped updating. Sometimes the display froze even during the first seconds after powering on the machine. I tried Memscan and it froze too, eventually, although one blinking cursor continued to blink, it was just the status update bar that stopped updating.

I think this may be an overheating issue of some kind, although it's not exactly the GPU. Rivatuner showed no signs of the GPU overheating. I'm still placing my bets on the graphics card. Or could it be related to the mainboard? (I hope not) Maybe you guys have some experience with that.

On a related matter, which graphics card would you recommend as a replacement for my GeForce 8800 GTS? I'd like it to be cheap, quiet, with low power usage and about the same performance as the 8800, in this order.

Thanks for any advice! :)

PS: System specs:
Intel Dual Core 6600
GeForce 8800 GTS
4GB Ram
Windows 7 64bit

1. Go on safe mod and check events
2. download speedfan
3. I bet your mobo has a chipset gpu , remove 8800 and try running windows without it.
4. You say "freeze" you mean BSOD or just non responsive ? ctrl+alt+del and look your processes , if something sucks up too much memory stop it .

NVIDIA card's always come with heating issues

On a related matter, which graphics card would you recommend as a replacement for my GeForce 8800 GTS? I'd like it to be cheap, quiet, with low power usage and about the same performance as the 8800, in this order.

The nVidia GTS 250 is based on the G92 chip which is the slightly faster successor to the G80 that resides on your 8800 GTS. As for cheap and quiet... dunno... maybe check Geizhals and then the linked (user) reviews. Generally, I don't think that noise would be a problem with any of these cards though.

Tragos: Thanks. With freeze I meant non responsive, i.e. the display was frozen in place regardless of what was being shown. No BSOD. Here's a longer post that describes my problem exactly:

[ http://www.pctechbytes.net/forums/f23/computer-freezes-during-boot-up-41400.html ]

This is a real PITA to test because I don't have spare parts readily available at the moment. I think my system has integrated graphics too, but if so it's VGA and my LCD is digital-only. Maybe I have an adapter lying around somewhere.

Mo: Thanks, will check it out! Although right now I'm still fearing it might be the motherboard.

Sorry, but that's a ridiculous comment.
Agreed, my 9800GT is fine.

@Arhu, if this is happening within 1-3 minutes of booting your system as you say, then it's very unlikely to be a heat issue.
I think that a problem that soon into booting would be more to do with the card itself failing on a technical level, not a simple heat problem. Of course, it could be a case of a wire not being in properly (Perhaps the case has been knocked/moved?) or something else.

Have you looked at the card? You haven't mentioned if it's been cleaned or looked at for any signs of damage.

Do you know anyone who could lend you a different card to try in your system? Don't run out and buy a new video card before confirming that's the problem.

3. I bet your mobo has a chipset gpu , remove 8800 and try running windows without it.
Checked that out now. No freezing! :D The integrated GPU only has an analog port, so I had to find a cable for that first, otherwise I would have tried it earlier. Thanks for the hint.

Still need to find out whether it was really my 8800 or whether there was something wrong with the DVI cable or whether there's something wrong with the PCI-E slot.

Still, I can work again. :)

Back
Top Bottom