Gemini Rue Released

DoctorNarrative

Patroling Written Words
Gemini Rue has been released! It's a classic style point and click adventure game in the style of Blade Runner. Check it out HERE!

I have played about an hour so far and it's quite good. Well written, very moody, great looking art and perfect music. The music is a little sparse so far but it's good when it is there. The only negative on the game at the moment for me is voice acting, but I turned it off and now it's all good! :)

Check it out if you like this style of game. There is a demo.

Looks like a cross between Blade Runner and Out of this World. I've never heard of that developer, but I see they've made a few other games of that style already.

Looks like a cross between Blade Runner and Out of this World. I've never heard of that developer, but I see they've made a few other games of that style already.

I think it was developed for one guy as a student project, Wadget Eye is just publishing. They do focus on adventure games that play like they're out of the mid-90's, which is cool if you ask me.

I've played it some more and it's not easy... I've gotten stuck three times, but I eventually figure it out.

Haven't played a decent sci-fi adventure since Nightlong - but this looks a bit too primitive for my tastes.

Still, maybe I should give it a shot.

It is pretty ancient looking and I do wish these indie adventure game guys would switch to high-res backgrounds at least, it can't be that much more expensive, but them's the breaks I guess.

Leading German adventure site Adventure Treff reviewed it.

They say:
+ inspired by Blade Runner
+ very good music, sound & voice acting
+ suspenseful story with a bit of social criticism and philosophical depth
+ convincing ending
+ no filler material; the game is 6-8 hours long and not artificially blown up
+ diversified puzzles / quest with a (slight) tendency towards non-linearity
+ precise and to the point dialogs
- the interface is tolerable but could be improved
- characters are not remarkable
- graphics transport a nice noir atmosphere but are sometimes too pixelated

83%

That's quite a positive review for a game I had never heard of before.

Adventuregamers.com gave it 4 out of 5 stars too, which is very high for them.

I just finished it. I'm going to copy and paste my comments from GOG over to this thread:

Just completed the game.

tl;dr version of the game: wow.

The slightly longer version: the story is more than what you think it is, and is so well-thought out, that I'm hard pressed to think of any loopholes.

The somewhat long version: Gemini Rue is a true work of art. Having finished the game, I read some of the reviews online, and while the criticisms in the Just Adventure review are a bit odd, some of the user comments on blogs and review sites are just downright depressing to read. I am of course referring to people knocking the game for its low-res graphics. Where the game fails to provide for high-res sprites/textures and/or 3D models, it more than makes up for in aesthetics, atmosphere and mood. Just as well that they're not touching the game anyway.

The story, of course, is the best part of the game. Truly, without giving any spoilers away, it had me compelled to finish it in two sittings. Even as I'm typing this now, I'm still awed at how well-written it is. A part of me is still clamoring for more, even though the ending is perfect and should stay that way.

I look forward to seeing Joshua Nuernberger's next project!

DArtagnan, you're right, the graphics are primitive, but that's only describing its aesthetics on the most superficial level. The game evokes a bleak, dystopian mood very well - I would say JBerger hit the ball out of the park in this aspect. Of course, for people who keep wringing their hands over the fact that the game does not feature 640x480 reso graphics, nothing I do or say can change their minds.

I have to second the complaints of people who say that the low-res graphics occasionally tend to muddle key objects with the rest of the environment, but this is really only occasional. Other than that, I have no issue with the lo-res graphics. It is one of the best adventure games I've ever played - and the last adventure game that I gave such praise to was Grim Fandango.

I do have some gripes with the game though. I still don't like how you have to right click on something to open the inventory. Cutscenes don't really hold up to the rest of the game's presentation. Other than that, I have to respectfully disagree with the criticism of other reviewers, some of whom have pointed out "flaws" that I feel are just nitpicking.

For example, it is true there is a bit of backtracking if you get stuck, especially when playing as Delta Six, but it is a non-issue since you can press ESC and your character will instantly move to the directed point. I also have to disagree with the box-pushing complaints. They didn't feel out of place for me, and felt like a natural order to the next step. And of course, I have to call bull on one reviewer who pointed out a "loophole" with the story (not gonna mention names here).

Anyway, just a point of contention that I'd like to take part in: the point made by Adventure Treff that the characters are not remarkable. My opinion is that the voice acting is sometimes spotty - though it is above passable overall. OTOH, I would definitely beg to differ with the opinion that characters are not remarkable. A few of the villains are really well thought out, and though the voice acting isn't on par with what you'd find in a professional setup, nevertheless it satisfactorily conveys tension, fear, unreasoning, dominance, contempt, and other emotions that bring out the best (or usually worst, in the game) in human nature. Without giving away any spoilers, the final gunfight was immensely gratifying.

Other than that, I agree with the other summarized points cited by Gorath, both pros and cons. And yes, I'm happy to add a second dime to the comment that the game has no filler content :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom