What games are you playing now?

So here is the thing. I've enjoyed HotU so much, I'm thinking of having a go at some NWN mods…. something with good story and compatible with current patch 1.69. Any recommendations? I'm thinking of going for Shadowdale/Tethyr/Moonsea trilogy.

I can reccomend a bunch of good mods, but most are set in their own setting. Here is a short list and If you need more let me know as I can't link them all.

Prophet Trilogy

Link - http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=User.EntriesListing&id=5693

It began with a dream. A dream of fate, a dream of sorrow. And through the dream the future wept, grieving for the lost tomorrow. For again the wheels of time shall turn. Without justice, without care. And once again shall darkness reign upon a world within despair. And though some had seen the coming storm, none could hold against its tide. For even gods must heed fate’s plan. That which is destined, cannot be denied.

Lords of Darkness

Link - http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=User.EntriesListing&id=2350

The Kingdom of Arboril once was a peaceful and beautiful place. 100 years ago, King Edgar the Wise ruled the land and was loved by the people for bringing peace, prosperity and freedom to the land. But that all changed when King lost both his children, leaving the Throne of Arboril without a heir. Full of grief, the King laid the power into the hands of his advisor, the young Lord Gaeldorn. But, full of lust for power, Lord Gaeldorn's first and only intention wasn't to do good for his people. Since after King Edgar died, Lord Gaeldorn ruled the lands with an iron fist. The people's rights were taken away, replaced by a system of oppressive laws getting harsher each day. The more dissatisfied the citizens became with their new rulers, the more oppressive Gaeldorn's laws became. Decades later, it's a day like any other when you start to go shopping on Arboril City's Grand Plaza market. It is a day which will become the last normal day in your life…

Agrenost - Beneath the Cobbles

Link- http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=162495&id=6027

“It’s deeply atmospheric and it contains one of the best-designed cities I’ve ever seen. With its seedy, darkened alleys bustling with peddlers, prostitutes, beggars, and thugs, Agrenost feels like a living city, full of hidden mysteries to explore. I played a rogue, and not only did the author make the shopworn rats-in-the-cellar quest interesting, he used it to immerse me in the story and the environment. I really did feel like I was starting as a lowly gutter-rat who, through the twists of fate, rises to the level of hero… Little details, such as town criers shouting the news in the street, or the run-down appearance of the chapel in the slums, really give the module flavor and make it come alive. The NPCs, while not astounding, do have personality, the story is interesting, the author makes good use of custom tilesets and other content to give the module a fresh appearance, and the combat is very challenging.”

The Northern Empire stands on the brink; News of a terrible defeat in a distant land has stirred talk of civil war. A forbidden tome of great power is stolen. A condemned necromancer escapes. Four visiting priests on a mysterious mission walk into danger. More than just rats are being driven up from the lower sewers by the ceaseless rains. Evil is stirring beneath the cobbles of Agrenost.

TORTURED HEARTS I & II

Part 1 - http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=21070&id=3799

Part 2 - Link - http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=21070&id=5347

"Welcome, hardcore CRPG fans! After two years of real hard working, I finally finished my game, Tortured Hearts 1. I put a tremendous amount of work into this one, 4000+ hours altogether. (Believe it or not) There are about 240 areas, 157000+ words in conversations, 17 companions to choose from, and you'll get about 60-100+ hours of playing time. This game is meant for hardcore players. TH1 is very difficult, but there were people who could get to the bottom of it. :) If you are perseverant, patient and curious, I'm sure you'll be able to watch the epilogue(s).

The Aielund Saga

Link - http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=User.EntriesListing&id=377

In the Kingdom of Aielund, trouble is brewing. While the King leads an army against enemies in the far west, the poorly-protected realm is under attack from brigands, goblinoids, and barbarians from the east. And rumours of a conspiracy are growing as the remaining military forces do little to stem the tide. Into this vacuum of power steps a small band of daring individuals, who must try to keep the region intact while tracking down the conspirators who seek to divide up the land for themselves. This is a detailed, atmospheric module that has been tested thouroughly to ensure minimal bugs. This new version requires the Aielund hakpack v2.0 to work properly.

Runes of Blood

Link - http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=4038

A 'low-mid level epic' for your consideration… A traveler in a remote land, you find yourself thrown into a terrible prison. Torture and death await you, if you cannot find a way to escape. Will you discover the dark secrets of the lord who has imprisoned you? Will you stake a claim for yourself in this unknown land? Will you be able to one day deliver your vengeance?

Vis et Virtus

Link - http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=GlobalSearch

The age of the Five Realms began with the death of the Red Prince, who sought to unite the world with blood. The five realms were carved out of the remnants of his failure, by those who would fulfill the dream of conquest, and there was war. As generals rose and fell, the world wearied of conflict and despaired. In those days came the White Prince, a lord of cunning and power, who would order the five realms through cooperation and law. At the tireless urging of the White Prince, the wisest rulers traded their ambitions for prosperity and, under him and in cooperation, the five realms pacified those who would not abandon the dream of conquest. Each nation was free to pursue its own aims within its borders, but those borders were dictated from the White Isle by the White Prince and the ambassadors of each nation. And so uneasy peace has been maintained for generations, with the White Prince quietly passing on his authority to his successor and the five realms checking each others ambitions under the guidance of the White Princes…

But rumors are spreading of unchecked war in the east and gatherings of power. The Peace of the White Isle is disregarded. Heaven holds the timing of all things and the time of change is nigh.

Welcome to Vis et Virtus where you will lead some of the greatest heroes of the five realms in a full length epic role playing adventure. Unlike many NWN modules, Vis et Virtus focuses on the development of its own unique characters within its prominent original story, while still incorporating epic battles and challenging dungeon crawls. We are pleased to bring you Vis et Virtus, complete with original music and voice acting, a product of over eight years and countless man hours. We hope you enjoy!

Bloodright: The Blood Royal

Link - http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=modules.detail&id=4298

As your mother lay on her deathbed, breathing in her last ragged gasps, she at last told you the identity of the father you'd never known—King Aelfrecht of Elondria. Pressing his old signet ring into your hand and whispering a final entreaty to go to the capital of Deornhal and seek out Faelred, your mother passed on into the next life, leaving you alone and adrift in a world that had suddenly become strange.

Now your travels have brought you to the great city of Deornhal, commercial hub and seat of power for the kingdom of Elondria. Yet tragedy has befallen the nation as King Aelfrecht lies dying from an unknown disease. Without his guiding hand, the veneer of stability surrounding the city has crumbled away, revealing the rotted foundation beneath. Turmoil now reigns supreme in Deornhal as factions large and small battle for control while awaiting the king's demise. Some move openly to oppose the rightful government, while others cloak their actions in shadow and secrecy. Who will you join in this roiling miasma of deceit and treachery—and what will be your destiny?

Knights of the Holy Grail (Ultimate Edition)
Link - http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=modules.detail&id=4929

From the setting out of three knights from Camelot upon their quest for the Holy Grail, to the originl founding of the Knights Templar so many long years later, this module chronicles the tale of a single brave knight who was, in a way, destined to have a hand in both events. You are that knight… and this destiny is yours! There are riddles to solve, sacred relics to uncover, fiends to do battle with, even some damsels in distress… and a sweeping saga that will take you all the way from Britain to the Middle East. For all of those players seeking after a darker path, there is even the ability to "sell your soul" and become one of the order of Death Knights. You can be chivalrous or you can be villainous, the choice is yours… and the Grail so awaits those wise or cunning enough to win their way to reach it. However, the question of just what the Grail truly is will lead you toward a final discovery that will change forever everything that you may have thought you ever knew about that legendary relic.

I recommend uninstall NWN and grab another game.

Mentioned that I'm back on Risen, and it's so bloody fun I can't believe myself.
I knew I'll die (be KOed) a thousand of times just because of early clunky combat, but that's something I couldn't care less in this game. Besides, now I'm highly skilled with staves mage which means not many mobs won't die after 1 or 2 hits. :D

And I can't believe I forgot that in this game - I can smoke! Not tobacco, but weed. :)

I recommend uninstall NWN and grab another game.

What a surprise we should start your own I hate NWN thread. Now excuse while I continue to play the game, and mods like I have for over ten years already.:p

Actually a thread should be I hate DLC.

NWN as a game in my game library is so unimportant that I can't have an emotion towards it. Hatred included.
It's not a game I wish I never bought nor is a game I couldn't get enough of. It's like a B movie, you can die happily without watching it as you didn't miss anything.

NWN wasn't a bad game (well, the original game campaign was, and a few hours playing with the toolset shows how little effort they put into it), but it depended almost entirely on the community to make it work. It was pretty clear that the driving forces behind it had no real experience playing D&D, with the basic tilesets being oddly incapable of recreating a lot of standard game settings.

I reinstall it and run through the first chapter of HotU every so often, but the best fun I had with it was just playing around in the toolkit. Well, that and doing crazy things in multiplayer. :p

Thanks for the recommendations couch :) Seems like I will be busy for a while! I've just started Shadowdale yesterday, only got play like 30mins so can't say much yet.

@joxer: I dislike DLCs too but I don't see NWN modules as DLCs. In most cases they are completely separate adventures, it's free and depending on the mod, it can be long or short!

@Menigal: I don't usually dislike Bioware NPCs so I don't know what's happening with KotOR… maybe because I'm not too interested in the setting as well? All the aliens look more or less like humans (more so than ME series), they speak in annoying alien language (yes, its meant to be more realistic but I can hear they are repeating same crap over and over again) or they talk about SW universe lore stuff (like Mandolorian war, lifesaver, Jedi this, Jedi that) which is boring to me. And I HATE Carth. I really do.

Or maybe I'm getting old… too much whining reminds me of the work!

@joxer: I dislike DLCs too but I don't see NWN modules as DLCs. In most cases they are completely separate adventures, it's free and depending on the mod, it can be long or short!

I am assuming he is talking about his current hatred of DLC that he rants about every time a new game is released or any number of DLC-laden games comes up ...

NWN, the expansions and premium modules are very much different - definitely NOT DLC ... they are traditional expansions.

Personally I love NWN ... but hey, why get into it about a 12 year old game ... again! :)

Thanks for the recommendations couch :) Seems like I will be busy for a while! I've just started Shadowdale yesterday, only got play like 30mins so can't say much yet.

You're welcome purpleblob.:handshake:

I have spent 100's of hours playing mods myself in the last ten years. No other game has kept me playing as long NWN+NWN 2. Just let know if you need more.

Or maybe I'm getting old… too much whining reminds me of the work!

My overriding memory of Carth is the whining, so that could be it.

I'm in a bit of a gaming grey area at the moment. I keep dipping in and out of various games, but nothing's really grabbing me. I might dig out NWN for another try myself if I can't find anything soon. It's always fun running odd builds through HotU.

I am assuming he is talking about his current hatred of DLC that he rants about every time a new game is released or any number of DLC-laden games comes up …
Yup. I'm disgusted with the trend of charging enormous cash for something that is not a classic expansion. Sometimes you have to pay for a bullshit content more than the game itself (check Sims as an example, some stuff packs, a few items in fact, tend to cost more than the game - and the plague spread to RPGs too).

Still on a game that didn't go that way - Risen.
Unlike before when I played it properly, now I'm enjoying script exploits a lot. I remembered some NPCs are not killable while story critical so I lure tough mobs to them. I know I'll be able to kill those myself later, but still… Since Risen is no-endless-respawns gem, one mapspot less to clear lategame.
And I can't explain how good it feels waling through those woods in Risen where you removed all hostiles and now are seeing just a peaceful nature with butterflies and whatnot. I dare to say it's more beautiful than heavily modded Skyrim.

Last edited:
Totally agree with Joxer on the look of Risen vs games like, and including, Skyrim. I find it comparable to how TV shows look in the US vs shows in Europe and other places, the shows in the US tend to look glossy and shiny and fake as hell, while the Euro shows look more real and gritty. There are notable exceptions, shows like the Wire didn't look all glossy, but for the most part, I find this to be true. Same with games, the glossy shiny look simply annoys me most of the time.

So…. sidetracked again. Started playing Dragon Age: Origins over the weekend. This post of full of spoilers so I will add them rest of comments in spoiler tag.

I'm having love-hate relationship with this game. I love it up until I get to Lothering… then I hit a brick wall again until I get all 4 treaties signed. As soon as I'm past Ostagar, both Alistair and Morrigan has so much to say… then nothing. Until you give them enough gifts or butter them up to hit next reputation bar to open up another set of dialogues. So no interesting quests and no interesting dialogues…. BORING.

I used to say what they wanted to hear to have friendly relationship with them all, but this time I'm going for what I would actually say. That doesn't mean if I don't agree with them I outright tell them they are wrong or to shut up. That wouldn't be realistic either. So this time some of my companions actually dislike me! (I really disagree with Zevran's view of life and Sten….) To my surprise, whenever I talk to Morrigan she ends up liking me, but everytime I bring her along to quests, I end up losing influence with her. At least I'm finding that part amusing and wondering who will end up like/disliking me by the end of the game (if I can actually finish the game, that is).

I don't really like gift system in this game. I'm not saying gift itself is a bad idea. I don't like how they bump up their influence up so high. I've just finished Redcliff quest, and already Alistair is in "caring" stage. Mind you, this is after me killing Isolde and lost a hefty 15 reputation with him. I know, I get a choice of not giving it to them, but I don't like it just sitting in my inventory either.

I've also installed a couple of mods to make my life easier - skip the fade and lock bash. Even if I'm playing a rogue class, I didn't put much points in open locks and such so I usually fail to open them. I think it's brilliant, since you have chance of losing items by bashing the lock/chest, very realistic!

I'm also having another go at Ser Gilmore mod. That character came across really interesting to me even though he was such a minor character in game (along with Cullen in mage tower). It's so strange how I was more intrigued by minor characters in this game rather than fully developed companions.

Either way…. I really wish I can finish this game again this time! It's been a while since I last played this game, and I'm enjoying it a lot more than my last few attempts in past years.

(Also still playing BG:EE, NWN mods, D3: FoS, and GW2. I've finally cancelled my WoW subscription!)

I'm also replaying DA:O… All DLC in… But UNMODDED!
This will be slow though as I'm busy with other stuff.

Did they change Alistair in some patch? I don't remember him being so whiny the last time I played this. Either I'm not seeing things right or maybe I just forgot about it.

I don't want to have sex with people in RPGs… is there something wrong with me?

Didn't really like Alistair or Morrigan or… well, most of them really, I would have been happy with just the Dwarf cliche and the Healer lady as my only companions the whole trip, but oh well, gotta do all those extra sideys!

I don't want to have sex with people in RPGs… is there something wrong with me?
No. But hey, you're missing content that way!

I replayed TW1 with the sole purpose of making sure I've collected all possible cards!
Can't remember all the benefits in FO1/2 any more, but there are at least a few cosmetics perks if nothing. And speaking of FO2, you won't be asked if you want to have sex or not if you lose "a game" in NCR.
You'll definetly miss 100 XP if you don't do it once in the brothel in Risen. :p

But having sex with a plastic doll Hollywood(TM) named Ashley in ME3? No. I don't want even to touch that overbotoxed monster no matter how many skills, perks, attribs, chances to win it gives! Yukk! Why did she take that surgery, whyyyyy!

@joxer: Alistair is always whiny.... and weak. That's why you need to "harden" him to make him less sissy.

@MinorityReport: You know, you have a choice not to have romantic relationship with your companions, right? At least I didn't find it that bad in DA:O, unlike Anders from DA2... (creepy). I think Leliana can kind of ninja romance you if you aren't careful though, but you can always tell her early you aren't interested.

To be honest, I didn't really see much of content difference (at least for Alistair) whether you romance him or not. I don't know about Zevran - he creeps me out, so I never tried. Leliana is even more no-no.... (at least for me).

Anyway, I'm at Circle at the moment and I just found out Ser Gilmore mod isn't compatible with Skip the Fade if you take him to the Fade.... NO!!! So I had to uninstall the Skip the Fade mod and have to go through the whole crap again =.= I realised it by the time you can't swap out the party members so that's the only option I have left =.= yay!

I just finished playing Lord of the Rings : war of the ring.. still thinking what to play next, any suggestions? :)

Playing Child of Light; pretty entertaining combat and beautiful artwork. The rhyming does get a bit old though.

Back
Top Bottom