National RPGs

Artran

Watchdog
I intend to dedicate this thread to national RPGs which are not known beyond national borders (or at least very little) because they were not translated or had bad promotion.

In Czech Republic we have AFAIK only this one major RPG:

Brány Skeldalu 1998 (Gates of Skeldal - not translated)
6 heroes, it combines 2D/3D
http://pc.gamesweb.sk/clanok.php3?ID=1934

(I hear UnReal World is actually REALLY good... )

I tried to play UW for some time a year ago (you know it's roguelike and I like them) - but I had problems with stability of the game. Very nice folklorish atmosphere.

EDIT: I know also about finnish roguelike game Kaduria from Krice but he is a perfectionist maniac and he doesn't want to release beta :)
http://koti.mbnet.fi/paulkp/kaduria/

Last edited:
Very nice thread ! I just wish *far* more stuff would be translated !
I often think of South America or Africa, I bet they sure have PC games as well !

Very nice thread ! I just wish *far* more stuff would be translated !
I often think of South America or Africa, I bet they sure have PC games as well !

Yes, exactly! I have also sometimes feeling that there must be gems which I will never play :(

Think about India, China or Japan for example.

Exactly.

Although Spain, French, Italy and Portugal are even closer (than Asia or South America or Africa).

Exactly.

Although Spain, French, Italy and Portugal are even closer (than Asia or South America or Africa).

Yes. But it's sometimes quite luck when national RPG goes to world. Like Gods: Lands of Infinity (Slovak) or Rage of Mages (Russian)

And it's well known fact that German RPGs are very good (Albion, Star trail, Gothic).

Yes, but Germany has ever produced very few RPGs. The ones you mention are very old (apart from the Gothic series, which came quite unexpected - even to the average German gamer).

What Germany is good at are sims and especially economy sims, like the Anno series, the Settlers, Cultures, ...

I regard that German buyers are somewhat conservative, because no-one bought Technomage and Paraworld. Instead, they buy games like "Moorhuhn" and "Sven".
Also interesting where the "Wiggles", which had too strong system requirements at their time.

Games with innovation have always had a hard time here in Germany. Imho.

Quite unknown german game:

Teudogar und das Bündnis mit Rom / Teudogar and the Alliance with Rome

german

english

Historical role playing game - engine like Ultima 7 - demo is available.

Last edited:
Drakar och Demoner: Själarnas Brunn

with some fantasy this is understandable for germans -
title in german:

Drachen und Dämonen: Seelen Brunnen or
Drachen und Dämonen: Brunnen der Seelen

so I can try to play swedish games :)

Games with innovation have always had a hard time here in Germany. Imho.

Games with innovation have unfortunately hard times everywhere. Big companies want money and innovation is risky. And small compannies should have tons of innovations but without money to promotion it's *almost* vain effort.

Quite unknown german game:

Teudogar und das Bündnis mit Rom / Teudogar and the Alliance with Rome

I finally ordered this game a couple of weeks ago and I'm expecting it any day now.

What about Arx Fatalis, wasn't the game developed by a company from France? i'd also like to add Mount & Blade, developed by a husband and wife team from Turkey..

Yep, Arx is a French game.

Back
Top Bottom