Ignore/Buddy functions

dteowner

Shoegazer
Noticed these again while checking my control panel and it got me wondering. Anybody actually use these functions? I use neither.

Not I. I don't think I know of any situation I have encountered in the past that would prompt me to use them either.
@Dte, glad to see the old avatar again btw. ;)

@Dte, glad to see the old avatar again btw. ;)
Yeah, I've been cycling thru "the archive" now that I can do it without imposing on Jaz (a la the Dot days). I've got a few more to go.

I'm not using them either. I guess this forum isn't big enough OR moderated too well ;) to warrant something like that. Besides, they were probably just some hacks to vBulletin, why else would they be in "Miscellaneous"?

Maybe vBulletin 3.7, which is in Beta Stage, will provide more social functions. For example, I think it will be possible to post comments on a user's profile page and stuff like that.

And yes, that avatar has dteowner writte all over it. =)

Never used any of those things either. I'm very vanilla!! :)

Yep, hardly necessary at a place this size. If someone's so irritating as to warrant being placed on an ignore list, s/he'll be probably gone for good rather soon, anyway.

As Arhu said, you guys do too good a job moderating to worry about needing and ignore function. ;)

I've decided I'm getting a little tired of the attention my posts seem to get from Prime Junta. His comments often aren't to my liking, and I'm a little tired of the gay sexual innuendos.

I'm going to give the Ignore function a try, so if a thread we're both in seems confused, that might be the reason.

I have two people on my ignore list. One is dattaswami, who mercifully seems to be gone. On the whole, I've found the function very helpful in keeping my equilibrium.

Yep, no one on mine either - I have had people like Viking Berserker who made trouble a while ago ... and some conflicts that made me look at the way I handled and argued things rather than want to add someone to an ignore list.

I've had one person on my ignore list, but just removed him because hasn't been posting lately. It's not about equilibrium as much as S/N ratio -- some people combine very high volume with very low value per message, so I ignore them. Fortunately this is very rare indeed here.

I've occasionally put someone temporarily on one, if I've found myself getting inordinately irritated by them; this happens rather rarely, though. The trouble is that this forum makes it too easy to peek, and if I'm irritated, the temptation to peek is very high.

It does raise the threshold of shooting back irritated replies, though, which is a good thing. Publicly announcing that "I'm ignoring X" will certainly raise that threshold further, even though it's a wee bit too kiddies-in-a-sandbox for my taste.

Back in Usenet days, plonk and follow lists were a necessity, though -- in a high-volume newsgroup, it would be impossible to find the signal among the noise without them.

I have myself on ignore. No edits, no do-overs!

Tried to ignore myself but got a reply saying "We can't help you ignore yourself." :-/

Hehe, like a MMO I used to play, when you tried to send a /tell to yourself: "Talking to oneself is a sign of impending insanity."

Tried to ignore myself but got a reply saying "We can't help you ignore yourself." :-/

That I got even one person to try it means my work here is done. :)

Back
Top Bottom