Obsidian Entertainment - Tim Cain Joins?

What was the game(s) he was working on at Carbine? Did anything hit the stores while he was there?

WildStar. They announce it recently and it seems like it's well on its way to hit stores, although I'm not sure what Tim Cain actual contributions on it were (I think he was in a high-level position as far as design goes). It's basically an evolution on the WoW template for MMO, but since I'm not interested in the genre, I can't tell how much interesting it is. Seems to have garnered good first impressions, anyway.

I'm sure there will be, coaster. I'm man enough to realize that not everyone agrees with my stance. I'm fine with that, honestly.

No you aren't or you wouldn't be spoiler tag ranting about it in a thread that is simply talking about someone joining a software company. It was completely uncalled for to drag in information from Facebook and then add your own homophobic commentary it.

BTW I'm anti-smoking, anti-tattoo's too.

Do you also go on long tirades about how unnatural they are every time you see someone on Facebook with a tattoo or smoking?

This isn't the place for this sort of thing. If you absolutely felt that you must rant about it here or you would simply burst then start a thread in religion and politics.

Last edited:
Having found FO1 to be better than FO2 and Troika's games to be better than Obsidian's, the fact that Tim Cain will be working on real rpgs instead of mmos is good news.

Tim is a top-notch and dedicated programmer/designer. His integrity is second to none. He is one of the best I've ever worked with, and I wish him the best over at Obsidian.
Shameful to see him bashed here, but good to see the positive comments as well.

The following is a gay rant, that will offend some, so I placed it in spoiler tags. Tim Cain is gay, which sickens me…
The homophobic comments in your spoiler tags are unwarranted and unfitting. This is not the P&R section which has a higher tolerance level, so consider yourself warned and edited.

This is best news ! I love Troika, love Obsidian - obviously they had their highs and lows. But highs were so high, they were best RPGs ever made.

Now the original Black Isle team is back together. Oh WOW

and ps

The crazy discussion that is going in background. I am real disappointed. And hope its a joke

WildStar. They announce it recently and it seems like it's well on its way to hit stores, although I'm not sure what Tim Cain actual contributions on it were (I think he was in a high-level position as far as design goes).
I doubt it is well on its way when a lot of senior developers leave. Maybe they overreached. An older talk hinted at Tim Cain working on an end-game questing system.

Thank you, Mythros.

I couldn't be happier about Tim joining.

I wonder if he was brought in to help with Wheel of Time or if he's going to be on a different unannounced game.

Though it probably doesn´t automatically guarantee anything, these news rule for the potential alone.
If there´s a company that, at least in some of their games, kept BIS/Troika´s spirit alive, it´s Obsidian, so this match couldn´t be any more fitting.
From where I´m sitting, chances for something (unironically) awesome to happen just have been raised :).

Also,
Thank you, Myrthos.

Last edited:
..............................very unimpressed with the fact that people like crpgnut are given a forum to vent their bullshit at any opportunity, regardless of how on or off topic it is. That kind of behavior is completely appalling. Seriously, to the folks that run this site; don't let it turn into rpgcodex. Those guys are nazi scumfuck pigs and it's a little disgusting to me that they're seen as the face of hardcore RPG fandom online and this site is, so far, a few notches above that. Try to keep it this way. Don't let it devolve. :(

This has the potential to be good news. The DS3 engine is nice, and could be adapted to all sorts of things quite well I'd imagine. Hopefully this leads to a decent game. But who knows really! That amazing franchise they couldn't say no to could be My Little Pony for all we know.

Last edited:
I think this is an awesome news.

Tim Cain is amongst the best RPG developpers there is, and to be honest I felt he was wasting his talents working on a MMO... so having him join Obsidian is simply awesome.

-Sergorn

It's good to see Tim Cain back in single player RPG business, rather than wasting his talent on multiplayer games. He's the designer of my several all time favourite RPG's. There's a rumor that he and Obsidian are working on Arcanum 2 with ToEE like engine (from RPGCodex). Given the past news about Obsidian working on a 2D RPG and several Obsidian employee's interview comments about RPG fans are going to be really excited about this 2D RPG, our longest dream may come true. Whether this's a new Arcanum game they're working on or not, I'm excited anyway.

There's a rumor that he and Obsidian are working on Arcanum 2 with ToEE like engine (from RPGCodex).

Yeah no, that's just RPGCodex trolling.

Nevermind the fact that the Arcanum probably still belongs to Activision since they bought out Sierra.

-Sergorn

…………………………very unimpressed with the fact that people like crpgnut are given a forum to vent their bullshit at any opportunity, regardless of how on or off topic it is. That kind of behavior is completely appalling. Seriously, to the folks that run this site; don't let it turn into rpgcodex. Those guys are nazi scumfuck pigs and it's a little disgusting to me that they're seen as the face of hardcore RPG fandom online and this site is, so far, a few notches above that. Try to keep it this way. Don't let it devolve. :(

Don't you think you were a few hours late ?!

It had already been moderated and edited before you posted.

…………………………very unimpressed with the fact that people like crpgnut are given a forum to vent their bullshit at any opportunity, regardless of how on or off topic it is. That kind of behavior is completely appalling. Seriously, to the folks that run this site; don't let it turn into rpgcodex. Those guys are nazi scumfuck pigs and it's a little disgusting to me that they're seen as the face of hardcore RPG fandom online and this site is, so far, a few notches above that. Try to keep it this way. Don't let it devolve. :(

Actually, I think the laid back and calm moderation of the Watch is a huge part of its success. It's not about forceful moderation, but about responding with a level head and letting things fall to rest by itself - as people are generally reasonable enough to ignore the occasional outburst of foolishness.

The worst way to respond to an extreme opinion is through extremity.

It had already been moderated and edited before you posted.

I see that now. I'm responding to the snipping that's still present. That's some appalling shit.

Actually, I think the laid back and calm moderation of the Watch is a huge part of its success. It's not about forceful moderation, but about responding with a level head and letting things fall to rest by itself - as people are generally reasonable enough to ignore the occasional outburst of foolishness.

The worst way to respond to an extreme opinion is through extremity.

Alright, but I hope you're not thinking my plea to the moderators is some sort of extreme reaction! I've felt pushed out of gaming site after gaming site by this kind of behavior and I'm getting very tired of it. The fear that this site may get overrun by bigotry is quite valid. My point about the codex was an indicator that it has happened elsewhere- that means it could happen here. Vigilance and all that. :p

ANYHOW, I'm done participating in this de-railment. Back to hopes for Arcanum 2.

Back
Top Bottom