Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Previews @ Joystiq, IGN

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Joystiq got to spend three hours with Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which seems a reasonable taste. As with other previews, they emphasise this is going to be a "special" game:
When Deus Ex: Human Revolution launches, two things are going to happen: 1) People are going to inevitably compare it to Mass Effect 2 and 2) Fans of the original game are going to find a prequel that carefully and methodically takes its cues from Warren Spector's masterpiece. I know it's not actually out and I didn't get to toy around with the final product, but my near three hours playing through the beginning of the game and its first major mission were incredibly telling of what Eidos Montreal is trying to accomplish here. This is going to be a special game.
IGN takes a different approach, with a Newcomer's Perspective. I'm not sure how someone who has never played DX can declare this one "feels" as trailblazing as the first but there you go:
Me? I'm simply curious, first to see what all the fuss is about and then to see how Deus Ex's open-ended model holds up in an era where, thanks to its progeny, choice is king. There's no doubting that Human Revolution feels like a Deus Ex game, but is that enough to cut it against the new breed of games its predecessors helped spawn?

Short answer, yes it can, and it cuts it in its own very special way. In many ways Deus Ex: Human Revolution feels as singular as the trailblazing first game did 11 years ago. It's ball-breakingly tough and asks you to play it in a way that, to an audience raised on the high-budget shooting galleries that are now ubiquitous, feels counter-intuitive, while as a role-playing game it's detailed to a degree that's initially terrifying.
More information.

I am curious how stealth and combat will be implemented in the PC version. It would be cool if they took the best of both worlds and let themselves be inspired by games geared for combat like Crysis, or to some degree by games with a focus on stealth like the first Thief, rather than an action RPG like Mass Effect.

This is a game I have been looking forward to for some time.

If there's one game that could potentially break the investor-mindset of endless streamlining and simplifying - this is it.

This game has the potential to demonstrate that reasonably deep and meaningful games can be very profitable. All we have to do is buy it :)

That is, if it's as good as it seems to be. It might be extremely cleverly hyped up or marketed - but I don't really think so.

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly.

I recall this gameplay video i saw not too long ago, there was the protagonist in some bar - investigating something, i absolutely loved the scenery and found everything very atmospheric.Bloodlines came to mind, for some weird reason.

Must admit that everything(so far)looks good about this game, to say the least.

I never played the first one, but without any preconceptions I have to say the Joystiq preview sounded really interesting.

Deus Ex was, flat out, one of the best games, period.

Deus Ex still holds up as great, even today. I just replayed it about a year ago and had a blast. FPS/RPG hybrids have only become dumber since those days.

I would love to see a graphical update of the original game.

Deus Ex still holds up as great, even today. I just replayed it about a year ago and had a blast.

I would love to see a graphical update of the original game.

Deus Ex certainly has aged quite well. I introduced it to a person who had never played it a few weeks ago, and he absolutely loved it.

There were a few graphics overhaul projects that were started a few years ago, but all of them eventually lost traction and were never completed. But it is still possible, so all it would take is a couple of dedicated DE fans with some knowledge and spare time.

Back
Top Bottom