Sucked In By Dark Souls

I have to concur here on Dark Bead. Man, that spell is uber brutal with some bosses. Where Four Kings once led me to curse and spit obscenities into the Abyss, this particular spell reduces that encounter to ashes very quickly indeed. Coupled with the Crystallisation Catalyst, one or two Crystal Soul Spears and a relatively high intelligence and it's goodnight Irene to nary a boss in your path. :)

Didn't have Dark bead or crystal soul spear back then. For me it was simply changing the order of deploying the spells in my arsenal (i.e. keep the fast ones for when the fight intensifies in the end)

I had relatively no dramas with S&O, got 'em on the first go armed with pre-knowledge. (Lightning gear, a strong shield) I even smashed up Super Ornstein this time around with the kind sunny assistance of Solaire of course, who lived to tell the tale. :)

My solution was indeed protecting Solaire for the last part of the Fight (Super Smough) instead of trying to foolishly conserve resources I didn't end up using.

Did you see the Solaire and Siegmeyer stories to their conclusions? I must admit I muffed up Solaires and lost contact with him in Lost Izalith, but my friend managed to conclude it properly and used his help in the Gwyn showdown.

I did get Solaire in the end. Sieg I saved in Lost Izalith then told his daughter I've seen him but did not check if there was something further with those two in the end. Will do in the next replay.

EDIT:

Coupled with the Crystallisation Catalyst, one or two Crystal Soul Spears and a relatively high intelligence and it's goodnight Irene to nary a boss in your path. :)

Oh, another thing I didn't find plus that 50 int spell… I'll hazard a guess that you have to attack his "oversized headgearness" to get it… That'd be out of character for me (plus the game was already easy enough…) ;)

Last edited:
Last night I completed Demon's Souls. It was a fantastic game I can't believe it sat in my cabinet so many years without me giving it a fair shake. One thing for sure is that most boss fights in Demon's Souls aren't that bad and a few of them I killed on my first try. But still, for someone like me, all the boss fights (well, except the last boss) in Demon's Souls were exciting and stressful (in a good way). I actually enjoyed the fact that the boss fights weren't as hard after having played Dark Souls.

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are really fun games. They take my eye hand coordination past their limits, but it seems 'crazy' is a strategy that, with enough patience, can eventually beat any boss in either of the two games.

So I'm now properly prepared for Dark Souls 2. But until it comes out, I think I will enjoy the break. Those boss fights are sometimes stressful...

Ahh good job, Mad One. :thumbsup:

I agree regarding the boss fights in Demons Souls - they often weren't as difficult as Dark Souls and you could learn very quickly what was required, what wouldn't work etc. Maneater, Flamelurker and the Old Monk were the only fights that took me any real repeats to get right.

For me, the hardest part of the game was actually making the journey in the Shrine of Storms in 4-3, all the way down to the Old Hero archstone. I was killed many times on the spiral staircases by those slippery ghostly reapers. :) I recall the thief ring came in very handy there...

Which ending did you go for? Any particularly memorable boss fights?

I finally started Dark Souls a few days ago, and I am really liking it. I have to say, the atmosphere is superb!

So far I've only managed to crawl my way to the Undead Burg -- still not sure how I bested that Asylum demon -- but I am having some issues now defeating that big black knight that lurks in that narrow corridor. Rather frustrating to work my way there and then get skewered by that guy. I know I don't need to kill him, but I am pretty sure what lies ahead is even worse so I want to make sure I am prepared and am able to kill at least him.
I'm still getting used to the controls, so hopefully it'll get better. :)

Playing a Knight, by the way, and focusing on STR, DEX and some VIT. Is that a viable build?

The Black Knights are tougher than most of the early monsters and they have a small chance of dropping rare loot that's quite powerful. However they don't respawn once you've killed them. Killing one early on would prove extremely difficult unless you know exactly what you're doing so don't worry about killing it before you have some better gear =)

but I am having some issues now defeating that big black knight that lurks in that narrow corridor. Rather frustrating to work my way there and then get skewered by that guy. I know I don't need to kill him, but I am pretty sure what lies ahead is even worse so I want to make sure I am prepared and am able to kill at least him.
I'm still getting used to the controls, so hopefully it'll get better. :)

Actually it took me at least 5 tries to get that Knight on my first run (They are so cool I just got to go pick on them when I see them. By far my favorite enemies in the game). The next Boss only a couple. That is mainly because there are specific ways to get that boss out of the way. Especially if you remember the lessons you learned on the assylum Demon ;)

Also if you are having trouble (or insist on picking on the knight which is indeed fun but rough training) you may want to check a certain key that the nearby merchant sells and what you can unlock nearby… Just remember to plan ahead and not waste finite (for a while that is) resources if you really need them ;)

Playing a Knight, by the way, and focusing on STR, DEX and some VIT. Is that a viable build?

Yep, imo it is a good choise for a beginner. STR and DEX are important mainly to fulfil reqs for the equipment you find so check them in the inventory and plan ahead. Also check how the items you want to choose scale Damage with what stats.

Endurance is also a very important stat. More endurance allows you to wear heavier armor while keeping your mobility and also add to your Stamina bar. Heavier Armor is good for better poise in addition to better protection, better poise (roughly the ability to keep your feet and stability while blocking or being hit) being one of the advantages to starting as a Knight (due to starting gear).

P.S Remember to Drop your shield once in a while to let your Stamina regen btw…

Generally speaking, as you might have come to realize if you followed this thread, you plan your character in Dark Souls more or less around the Gear choises you want to make as much as the "class" (i.e if you are going to be a fighter a cleric or a mage). You may also want to talk with that cleric and see if some assisting miracles are up your alley (it worked well for my build). If so they have requirements and they scale with Faith.

P.P.S. Generally speaking (and for most cases) raising stats is mainly worth it up to values of 40. Keep that in mind and not dump too much on a single stat while you could improve other aspects of your game.

May also be worth it to focus on a Single type of weapon or at least favor weapons that either scale best with STR or DEX and so improve fast on that and keep Vitality and endurance up as needed too. (i.e. most swords outside of the rapier family scale better with strength so if you focus on that you may want to put more emphasis there and increase DEX only as needed for reqs etc.)

Hmm I think I am starting to repeat obvious stuff now so I guess I'll stop here :D

Last edited:
There are 2 exploits(at leas I found 2) that make black knights easy on any level.I won't spoil it but there is easy way to beat them.

I hope you don't mean parrying or Backstabing ?

Those are not exploits, those are game mechanics…

If you mean something like cheaply exploiting a game glitch we are not interested ;)

I hope you don't mean parrying or Backstabing ?

Those are not exploits, those are game mechanics…

If you mean something like cheaply exploiting a game glitch we are not interested ;)

Exploit isn't good word.I meant there is tactic that make fight easy, but it isn't unfailable it still requires good movement and timing.

Exploit isn't good word.I meant there is tactic that make fight easy, but it isn't unfailable it still requires good movement and timing.

Quite right. And while I am usually totally against spoilers I don't consider this one. It will take anyone quite a bit of trying to master those tactics and I think it is not bad to be made aware that they exist. (if wiretripped feels spoiled, my apologies)

I have seen people doing totally too many back stabs though (so I guess you could say they exploit the technique a bit). Seems like a mindnumbingly boring (although efficent) way to play chaining one after the other again and again and again…

Parrying a Black Knight on your First run takes a fair bit of Balls at least (managed to gather the nerve on my third one. That was ellating fun :) )

Quite right. And while I am usually totally against spoilers I don't consider this one. It will take anyone quite a bit of trying to master those tactics and I think it is not bad to be made aware that they exist. (if wiretripped feels spoiled, my apologies)

Tactic is simple get close enough with raised shield to bait his shield bash but move backwards so he doesn't hit you than he will swing attack move back so he doesn't hit you again than jump attack, and repeat until he is dead.Simple but trick is distance if you get too close you won't be able to move out of way fast enough and too far won't trigger shield bash, also if you move too far after shield bash he won't swing attack.

Other is parry but that is obvious exploit imo, I also prefer fist option because it doesn't require good reflexes.

I have seen people doing totally too many back stabs though (so I guess you could say they exploit the technique a bit). Seems like a mindnumbingly boring (although efficent) way to play chaining one after the other again and again and again…

IIRC they are nerfing backstab in DS 2 thank god, it's easy to exploit and it's annoying in PvP over 80% of people I played against always go for it.

Tactic is simple get close enough with raised shield to bait his shield bash but move backwards so he doesn't hit you than he will swing attack move back so he doesn't hit you again than jump attack, and repeat until he is dead.Simple but trick is distance if you get too close you won't be able to move out of way fast enough and too far won't trigger shield bash, also if you move too far after shield bash he won't swing attack.

Other is parry but that is obvious exploit imo, I also prefer fist option because it doesn't require good reflexes.

and avoid tactic is indeed pretty basic and one I mainly use against the Silver Knights in Anor Londo especially if I need to retry acouple of times for Smough and Ormstein or try to get a Silver shield :) Generally speaking I tend to avoid playing too mechanically unless I am really in a hurry or in a tight spot as it tends to spoil the game for me. Still not really an exploit imo unless you overdo it ;)

Parry takes some hand eye coordination and at the early levels failing it will get you one shoted so I tend not to frown upon it…

IIRC they are nerfing backstab in DS 2 thank god, it's easy to exploit and it's annoying in PvP over 80% of people I played against always go for it.

Are you sure they are indeed nerfing it ? They are changing the tolerances for positioning i.e. but I am not clear on if they seemed to have reduced damage etc…

Thanks for the advice everyone! :)
I am very much itching to start wandering Lordran again, but alas my working day is not over yet. Talking about it makes the itch bearable. ;)

Also if you are having trouble (or insist on picking on the knight which is indeed fun but rough training) you may want to check a certain key that the nearby merchant sells and what you can unlock nearby… Just remember to plan ahead and not waste finite (for a while that is) resources if you really need them ;)

That is mainly why I am picking on him... Training. And believe me, I need training. As a long time PC player, I still have to get used to the Xbox controller. :)
I do have that key, but I am not sure how it would help me in this fight? I already explored the house it unlocks but I forget what I found there... Oh, gold pine resin or something? I didn't really check what it does yet... :blush:

Endurance is also a very important stat. More endurance allows you to wear heavier armor while keeping your mobility and also add to your Stamina bar. Heavier Armor is good for better poise in addition to better protection, better poise (roughly the ability to keep your feet and stability while blocking or being hit) being one of the advantages to starting as a Knight (due to starting gear).

Hm. So would you say I'd better focus on END, rather than DEX?

Generally speaking, as you might have come to realize if you followed this thread, you plan your character in Dark Souls more or less around the Gear choises you want to make as much as the "class" (i.e if you are going to be a fighter a cleric or a mage). You may also want to talk with that cleric and see if some assisting miracles are up your alley (it worked well for my build). If so they have requirements and they scale with Faith.

May also be worth it to focus on a Single type of weapon or at least favor weapons that either scale best with STR or DEX and so improve fast on that and keep Vitality and endurance up as needed too. (i.e. most swords outside of the rapier family scale better with strength so if you focus on that you may want to put more emphasis there and increase DEX only as needed for reqs etc.)

I usually play melee-types, with a main focus on the sword and shield style -- and dabbling in some bow-action too if it proves more opportune than melee. So I figure that's the direction I am heading in for my first run.

That is mainly why I am picking on him… Training. And believe me, I need training. As a long time PC player, I still have to get used to the Xbox controller. :)
I do have that key, but I am not sure how it would help me in this fight? I already explored the house it unlocks but I forget what I found there… Oh, gold pine resin or something? I didn't really check what it does yet… :blush:

Well there are easier places to train yourself (both before and after) if you get fed up with him. Glad I didn't subject myself to the added task of learning to use a controller. That might have been too much ;)

Hm. So would you say I'd better focus on END, rather than DEX?

I usually play melee-types, with a main focus on the sword and shield style — and dabbling in some bow-action too if it proves more opportune than melee. So I figure that's the direction I am heading in for my first run.

Well If you are playing a sword and shield tank like I did, DEX is not very very useful. If you are serious about bows you do need Dex to do any short of useful damage with them (they also seem to require a bit of skill to use effectively). If you just want to use them for the cool factor (and as a fallback or a way to get some stuff at certain points) then filling up their requirements as you find them is sufficient imo. (There are also Greatbows that scale very well with STR btw)

(edit: To be accurate a lot of swords like rapier or curved or indeed even straight and a couple of great swords scale as well with Dex as with Str. But as you will see that for a lot of the most powerful ones the Str requirements are higher than the Dex ones I see no reason to invest in both attr. at the same rate unless you are focusing on something that specifically calls for Dex scaling. Also bear in mind that you will need a high STR value to use some of the larger ones singlehanded with a shield. Also nice to know is that you can use weapons two handed at lesser than their recorded STR reqs… Ofcourse going for a high damage over mobility with armor + stamina build is also quite up to you. As is a dex focused more nimble warrior i.e. I have not tried those tacks myself yet tbh)

Personally I put 20 on Dex on my first run as a tank and regretted not putting those extra 5 levels in endurance. I needed 20 to check out a fancy bow that I used like once. while getting endurance to 32 (in addition to a certain ring you will acquire) would allow my max equipped load to be high enough to be nimble with my endgame heavy armor set sooner (in the end I had to put another ring on). Also: more stamina. You need stamina for everything in this game and managing it is an essential part of the combat system. Always nice to have a bit more.(Ofcourse I put quite a bit on faith and attunement to do some support miracles and healing. So you will be able to raise your Dex quite a bit more than me anyways in the end. When you do it is up to you and how you will balance your char as you play)

All that is just about how the tank worked pretty smoothly for me in run #1. The main thing here is to play the character you like and have fun. This is a very open system and if you get a grasp of a couple of its main concepts early on you can indeed develop any sort of character you like without the need to min max too much. It is I believe a good idea though to keep it somewhat focused at least in the early levels until you get over the difficulty curve and start feeling confident and at ease so as to avoid undue stress later on (at least partially ;) ).

Last edited:
An even easier (but cheesy) way to beat that Black knight.

Get him to follow you back to where there's a ladder and kite him with arrows/bombs/magic. Black Knights can't climb ladders. :)

If you got magic you don't even need the ladder. They were barely any challenge on my mage run tbh ;)

The one on the Tower in the parish did one shot me while I was killing him though… the bastard :D

Well, I decided to give up on the Black Knight and continue… I was kind of getting tired with being skewered all the time. :p
Thanks for all the tips though. I think I'll revisit him when my gear is a little better. As for running up the ladder and kiting him, eh, I tried that but it is too slow. I don't have the patience for that, because he keeps running out of view and it takes him a while to make it back.

So heh. I proceed and run into the next boss. Taurus demon, I believe? Now that was an… anti-climactic fight. It barely lasted 10 seconds. I don't think I even hit him! He swings at me, I roll away past him, get up and swing back. So he hops back… and falls straight off the ledge! Dead. Victory for me.
I wish I felt more accomplished, but… I kind of feel like I cheesed that fight, though it was completely unintentional. :-/

I've now made it to the Undead Parish. Let's see what they can throw at me here. :)

I've now made it to the Undead Parish. Let's see what they can throw at me here. :)

The bonfire you will find there is a good place to fool around and train yourself and even gather a bit of materials you will find useful immediately.

Huzzah! I managed to beat my first real boss(es) yesterday, the Bell Gargoyles! It took me 10 tries or so, but I finally got them. The victorious feeling as I rang the Bell of Awakening had me gloating all evening. :)

Sorry, I'm so excited I had to share. ;)

A question though. I ran into a smith called Andre that upgrades armor and weapons. I am tempted to upgrade my armor, though I am afraid of spending resources on equipment that I might discard soon if I find something better.

So, what would be a good choice to upgrade?
I am playing a Knight, and armor-wise I still use all of the starting gear except the helmet (which I replaced by the Gargoyle helmet now). As for sword, I am using the Drake sword (which I can't upgrade yet anyway), but I do have a Claymore sitting in my inventory too which scales to strength. It can't quite match the Drake sword yet, but once it does I might switch. As a shield I am using a Black Knight shield (I killed the one on top of the tower in the Parish).

Back
Top Bottom