Fallout 3 - Day 1 Roundup

Dhruin

SasqWatch
No doubt we'll get plenty of links for Fallout 3 over the following days, so I'm going to collect a bunch of them together.
First, G4 TV has the promised gameplay video demonstration - I haven't had the time to watch it, so no details to add yet.
Next Bethsoft has kicked up a new promo site - PrepareForTheFuture.com. The flash-y site offers an atmospheric signup for updates and links to the teaser and pre-orders at GameStop.
Blue's coverage of the Microsoft E3 conference offers some info on DLC for Fallout 3:
The Microsoft E3 press conference is currently underway, and so far they've rolled out a look at Fallout 3, saying the post-apocalyptic sequel will be followed by "substantial" downloadable content for the game that will be exclusive to Xbox LIVE and Games For Windows. Todd Howard's demo of the game shows off the ability to choose a stealthier or more straightforward approach to combat, as well as a bit on the moral choices you'll be faced with.
...and you can also find coverage at Eurogamer, Engadget and GameSpot (thanks NMA). Here's a quick sample from GameSpot:
[10:42] The next obstacle is a sentry bot, which he takes out with the help of an EMP grenade. Howard emphasizes that the game reacts with the way the players goes through it: good, bad, or in between. Troops from the Enclave come down on him in a helicopter transport, so he switches to The Fatman and launches a bomb across the map at the soldiers. He wraps up the demo to applause and a smattering of cheers. He also mentions "substantial" downloadable content for Fallout 3 that will be exclusive to Xbox 360 and Games for Windows.
More information.

You forgot the Good Life trailer

Bethesda is doing one of those "drown 'em" moves they always do in their PR peaks. Still, it's good everyone can finally see the game.

The good life trailer is pretty neat until the actual game footage kicks in, which is plain crap. Also: stealthy gameplay and moral choices presented in the E3 demo? Where? Bollocks.

The good life trailer is pretty neat until the actual game footage kicks in, which is plain crap. Also: stealthy gameplay and moral choices presented in the E3 demo? Where? Bollocks.

It is rather typical of game journalism: if a developer says "the game will have", the journalist will generally write down "we were shown", because that sounds a lot more impressive.

As far as I know, none of the demos/showings of Fallout 3 so far showed any improved AI. Yet at least a dozen reviews talked about how they overhauled RAI and it's much better now. Just taking it in good faith, I guess.

They just talked about but did not show the stealth and moral choices.

This doesn't look anything like a RPG. It's more like a gimmick of the old Fallout series. Seems they're aiming for something like Bioshock in terms of gameplay.

This doesn't look anything like a RPG. It's more like a gimmick of the old Fallout series. Seems they're aiming for something like Bioshock in terms of gameplay.

Yep, is like a bioshock game. Already watch all videos on the net, and i can tell that this is not a fallout game, is other thing, i don't say with this that this is a bad game, looks good, but more oriented for people that like shooters games.
________
Toyota s engine specifications

Last edited:
I never played fallout 1 or 2 except a demo but I can say this: the only thing that still remided me a bit of fallout was the body part aiming.

This was not an rpg that they showed but a FPS that might be different for the rest.

I doubt the seeing of npcs, quest and narrative will change the way I look.
A great fps maybe but not the rpg were mny were hoping for and I fear it is even worse than most had feared for: no oblivion with guns but an FPS with stats.

I do hope they proove me wrong and that it will be a great rpg nonetheless

More like Deus Ex, with those stats and everything, which isn't a bad thing at all. Deus Ex was great. Of course, compared to Fallout 1+2, part 3 does look very uh.. different? The guy in the first video said he was showing the "combat route" so until they start to show off some of those sneaky or diplomatic (?) solutions, there isn't really much to say about the game other than "Uh.. looks shiny".

The guy in the first video said he was showing the "combat route"

I assume that this was intended that the FIRST video showed the "combat way".

Therr is nothing in those videos that make me want to go out and by this game. It looks the same as every other shooter.

Definitely doesn't look like any other shooter. If anything, I may resemble Mass Effect more than a shooter. And, like Mass Effect, if I have to judge this as a shooter, it's looking like a damn fun shooter.

As an RPG, I'm not sure what to say. I'm not a turn-based, isometric or whatever purist. This might be a good game, RPG or not.

I dont argue that Thaurin, it might be a good game but probably not a good RPG

More like Deus Ex, with those stats and everything, which isn't a bad thing at all. Deus Ex was great.

A big part of DX's greatness were the non-combat options. Sneaking around, hacking bots and turrets, dialog, choices, the illusion of consequences. The "run 'em and gun 'em" parts of game play were rightly criticized. Between weak weapons, limited ammo, and limited healing, the game was encouraging you to look for alternatives. Later in the game, with better weapons, improved skills, and a good selection of augs, tanking was more of an option. Trying to tank from the start made most FPS fans dislike the game.

So far, F3 has been focused heavily on showing the run-n-gun, and not much else. I only noticed one place where it looked like the player hacked a terminal, which looked like it made the turret disappear.

Granted, with Thief 3, the gameplay movies also focused on combat, since hiding in shadows for five minutes makes for boring movies. While there is some contention as to how well the non-combat options played out in T3, they were still there. But the initial movies were not well-received by fans, since butchering everything that moves isn't what Thief is supposed to be about.

It remains to be seen how much is really there in F3, since most of the non-combat info is mostly in the "because Bethsoft said so" category.

lvl 20 cap? seems interesting
20 hour only mainquest and 100 with all others.
fewer NPCS means more depth they say

I have to admit this video already makes it more interesting

Gameplay video was OK I guess. Oblvion with guns. Can't say it's entirely unexpected.

Looks as bad as I expected so far, which is no surprised as I haven't liked any Bethesda game I've tried. The environments looked boring, the monsters strange, the V.A.T.S. animations obtrusive (but the selecting of body parts looked nice) and the Fat Man is incredibly stupid.

A shame really, I loved the first two games and even though I didn't expect too much from FO3 I still hoped for it to look more promising than it does.

Back
Top Bottom