Witcher 2 Cut sceens and EA

The Witcher 2

CelticFrost

SasqWatch
Frist posted on the witcher web site by me. Could be the few drinks I have or the fact I was hoping the engine for the new game was for graphics …not that they were going to change the feel of the game…CONSOLE

Like i have stated about games in general…cut sceens for moronic fools that couldn't slove a dungen puzzle to save their lives…
I bought a new alineware system for this game because I thought this company was different. Thought the they understood what PC gaming was.
Boxing was the frist thing that points to console release.
Cut sceens drive me nuts.
I started gaming in 1984 with U3(ulitam 3)
I just want to lose myself from my stressful job….My loving wife and kids for a few mins a day that I get to myself…not have some big drawn out sceen every time i turn a corner…
The frist witcher gave that for the frist time in many years..
Why this…
Why not make your new engine for better graphics…
Why did you have to break something that was perfect….in the frist game…the game play basicly everything you want in a game
At times I feel its worst than a console game..
I feel like I am back in the 1980;s pumping quaters into a machine….
When making this game are you sure Bioware wasn't the phone once a day telling you if you do this and do that EA will buy you….
Just like orgin systems the frist to fall to EA…this is what this game feels like…
A sales report to show them you can make games that bring in billions to gamers on X-Boxes and PS3's that will be bored with that game by that next tuesday, after the next batch of games comes out of the oven..
Like cookies….but my wife still makes real ones….

Huh? I think you had one drink too many. ;)

I thought TW2 was fantasic throughout, and it definitely didn't feel like a console game to me. People around here will tell you that I'm usually the first person to bitch about something being consolized.

Just stick with it. I was disappointed during the prologue, but the game just keeps getting better and better as you play. I'm still letting the experience sink in, but right now I'd have to say it's easily in my all-time top 10 crpgs.

Oh.. and regarding the graphics: there must be something wrong with your monitor, because the visuals were absolutely stunning. :)

Well I would be the frist person to say I always like what you have to say about things JDR...and maybe I will stiick with it just not tonight ...Well I know I will stick with it...as i did finish DA2(which I used a week of my holidays to play). Could be just in a mood...about other things about games...

I have to sort of agree with CelticFrost. There are a lot of cut scenes I'm about 2 hr past the prologue and I feel like i've watched more that played.

And as i've posted elsewhere I definitely get a console feel from this game. I don't believe they made it for consoles first but I believe they made compromises even though they said they wouldn't.

Just stick with it. I was disappointed during the prologue, but the game just keeps getting better and better as you play.
+1
btw I've chosen the magic path and in chapter 2 am "abusing" improved Aard, Quen and Heliotrope. And 6 vigor points. ;)
Totally different thing from the chapter 1 where I used mostly block and yrden.
"Criticals", in fact stun effect consequence automatically lead to instant kill cutscenes and I adore watching those as there are many different ones. That's why I improved Aard to level 3.
However in chapter 2 I've noticed that the game doesn't give that many cutscenes, in many cases I just kill mobs instantly after the stun without the cutscene. :(
Ok some players don't want to see them, but... An option to make them available always through the game would be nice in my case.

I have to sort of agree with CelticFrost. There are a lot of cut scenes I'm about 2 hr past the prologue and I feel like i've watched more that played.

And as i've posted elsewhere I definitely get a console feel from this game. I don't believe they made it for consoles first but I believe they made compromises even though they said they wouldn't.

What sort of compromises? Yes, The Witcher 2 has a lot of cutscenes (at least at the beginning) but that has less to do with consoles and a lot more with design choice (one that I don't mind actually, but since I'm not of the 'cutscenes bad' crowd that shouldn't surprise anyone).

What's all this buzz anti console? I don't use any and see the controllers vs design problem, but it's still some madness around about that. Is it working or not with a mouse and keyboard?

Sure there's few details I'd prefer different but I think some could be improved even with a great console compatibility. Here an example, PC players complain about inventory that had became cold list of texts and eventually with a generic icon.

And blam it's fault of consoles but that assertion is ridiculous. It's a clear way to save job time to design all the icons for each item, save from managing any information popup system, save from keeping synchronized 3D graphics of the items and their inventory icons.

It's not fault of consoles because a four direction pad is perfect for browsing an inventory, Gothic 2 learned me that, it's a little strange when you have a mouse but still their choice and it was working very well. Obviously with a pad and a popup information system this can work perfectly well on consoles… But then back to icons to design and make and keep synchronized with their 3D graphics. Not fault of consoles, but a trick modern RPG have choose to save time and money.

What sort of compromises? Yes, The Witcher 2 has a lot of cutscenes (at least at the beginning) but that has less to do with consoles and a lot more with design choice (one that I don't mind actually, but since I'm not of the 'cutscenes bad' crowd that shouldn't surprise anyone).

Just small things 1 button serving multiple purposes, No backpedaling or strafing feels like it was meant for 1 analog stick to control the camera and 1 for geralt, the radial menu, every time i see the icon to press the left or right mouse button to jump over stuff (might as well be x button). lack of better hotkey support, the inventory screen only showing a few items in a list at a time, lack of mouse overs, i'm sure there are things i'm forgetting right now.

None of the things are major and I guess could be seen as design decisions, but if the were it was to make the transition to console faster and easier.

I could be totally off base but this is the feeling I get.

I'm in no way implying it's a bad game I believe thats where I differ from CelticFrost.

What's all this buzz anti console? I don't use any and see the controllers vs design problem, but it's still some madness around about that. Is it working or not with a mouse and keyboard?

Sure there's few details I'd prefer different but I think some could be improved even with a great console compatibility. Here an example, PC players complain about inventory that had became cold list of texts and eventually with a generic icon.

And blam it's fault of consoles but that assertion is ridiculous. It's a clear way to save job time to design all the icons for each item, save from managing any information popup system, save from keeping synchronized 3D graphics of the items and their inventory icons.

It's not fault of consoles because a four direction pad is perfect for browsing an inventory, Gothic 2 learned me that, it's a little strange when you have a mouse but still their choice and it was working very well. Obviously with a pad and a popup information system this can work perfectly well on consoles… But then back to icons to design and make and keep synchronized with their 3D graphics. Not fault of consoles, but a trick modern RPG have choose to save time and money.

I'm not going to lie I'm very anti-console. I believe they just give developers an easy excuse when asked about flaws in their games they point to how it's actually limitation of the console. Bioware used it a few times to justify decisions made in Da2. (ie. why they had so few people in towns.)

I don't as much blame the console as much as the devs taking advantage of it. They use consoles to make games shorter, less complex and an excuse for stripping out content.

Having said that I don't believe tw2 went that far with it, but I do think they made some decisions such as the ones I listed above based on porting it to console.

Console gamers you may flame me now.;)

I wonder what's the one button thing? A long time before modern consoles a great point was contextual commands, is that you complain about now?

If no backpedal and strafing was a console constraint how the hell some game having them could have a console port? You clearly didn't played the RPG fight sword game they seem have copy in part (forgot the name), it's a design choice of fights, not a console choice.

For the menus I haven't tried but I suppose this is console compatible inspiration.

For the better hotkey support it's like if you are saying Diablo 2 was designed for consoles. I need more details about that but ton of action hotkey is something that PC designer could want avoid and I bless them.

All of that is so ridiculous and oriented, take some distance to analyze that from a larger point of view and a more open mind.

I wonder what's the one button thing? A long time before modern consoles a great point was contextual commands, is that you complain about now?

yes it's done on pc some but much more on consoles.

If no backpedal and strafing was a console constraint how the hell some game having them could have a console port? You clearly didn't played the RPG fight sword game they seem have copy in part (forgot the name), it's a design choice of fights, not a console choice.

I was more talking about it feeling like it was made for dual analog sticks.

For the menus I haven't tried but I suppose this is console compatible inspiration.

For the better hotkey support it's like if you are saying Diablo 2 was designed for consoles. I need more details about that but ton of action hotkey is something that PC designer could want avoid and I bless them.

Never played diablo 2 didn't like the first one and in a rare show of restraint I didn't even buy it thinking I might like it.

All of that is so ridiculous and oriented, take some distance to analyze that from a larger point of view and a more open mind.

Your right I'm very closed minded when it comes to console vs pc debate. for good or bad.

Your right I'm very closed minded when it comes to console vs pc debate. for good or bad.
Lol I won't apologize, this wasn't targeted to you but to the general current mood anti console, which is clearly right in part but push it a lot too far most often.

Last brilliant analyze I read about that was to regret that you have to look at an object to pick it instead of using a cursor arrow… as if the mouse wasn't already used for look, OMG. :roll:

apart from the UI, I don't believe its designed for the consoles at all.

The game has flaws but I think I will rate it as one of the best game I have ever played.

apart from the UI, I don't believe its designed for the consoles at all.

The game has flaws but I think I will rate it as one of the best game I have ever played.

Why was the UI designed for consoles? I hope you don't mean the radial menu because radial menus are one of the best things ever developed (I just loved them in NWN).

Why was the UI designed for consoles? I hope you don't mean the radial menu because radial menus are one of the best things ever developed (I just loved them in NWN).

I thought the inventory interface was designed with consoles in mind. Its quite evident when you loot stuff.

I prefer the "point and click" interfaces from PC. For example, you need to go close to dead mob or loot box and then you do the loot. Why Can't I sand back and click on the loot etc?

Don't get me wrong, not all consoles UI are bad...

Anyway its minor nitpick and I loved the game :)

Back
Top Bottom