iPad: is it worth it?

However, speed tests show that while memory usage, etc favor Chrome, FireFox has a faster 'cold start' time … and that is how I used it.

What speed test? can you send a link…. here is the top test to show up on google, it is a bit old though... :

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/firefox-chrome-opera,2558-3.html

I am surprised chrome was only a little more than 3 times faster in the test… on my computer it is much more.. but that's probably because I didn't remove all the firefox plugins just most of them.

What speed test? can you send a link…. here is the top test to show up on google, it is a bit old though… :

Actually that was newer than the one I saw! Thanks for the link. I might try Chrome just to see how it compares.

Interestingly, though, did you see Safari? Wouldn't a fairer test be to use Safari on the netbook? And since the iPad is already 3x faster, that seems like it would only make that difference greater.

Of course, I really dislike Safari, finding it the worst of all worlds in terms of odd behavior, incompatibility and performance ... so I'd rather not load it anywhere ;)

Interestingly, though, did you see Safari? Wouldn't a fairer test be to use Safari on the netbook? And since the iPad is already 3x faster, that seems like it would only make that difference greater.

Not really, because everyone know safari doesn't run well on windows and none expect it too either.

Not really, because everyone know safari doesn't run well on windows and none expect it too either.

Yes, but as you know I also run a Mac ... and most of my experience (and comments) are from that - which you would think is the best possible experience. But it is total crap on the Mac as well.

Safari even if it is better on iPad is just another reason to not buy one :p For many this is actually a main reason.

Comparing running a apple product built naively to run on the iPad, and that is known to run really poorly on windows would be a rather pointless IMHO. I think the point you wanted to make is how soon you can begin surfing and with chrome I think that will be rather fast.... as in the benchmark it is more than 3 times faster than firefox and in your test firefox was 3 times slower so......... that you on top of that get a much higher quality browser at the same boot time.... well what can I say... it doesn't make me any less convinced than before :D

Thats not an e-ink reader. What they have in japan is color e-ink iirc.

As for magz and bigger pdf manuals 7" is still too small unless they are specificaly tailored for that screen. Untailored propably need atleast 10" screen.

Also Ive heard bad rumours about B&N. I would propably choose amazon reader over it.

Last edited:
Safari even if it is better on iPad is just another reason to not buy one :p For many this is actually a main reason
Exactly ... and I am sure you will completely and totally agree that because Internet Explorer comes preloaded on every Windows PC and is *the* worst browser available, then you would support that as a valid reason for people not to buy a PC. In fact, since IE is worse than Safari, it is actually a reason to buy an iPad over a netbook, right?

Of course not.

it doesn't make me any less convinced than before :D

Nothing would make you convinced - you are very strongly anti-Apple, you refuse to acknowledge an opposing point of view as valid, you nit-pick anything potentially positive while making broad-based sweeping negative generalizations.

There is no test I could show that would get you to say that even in the narrow application I showed that the iPad was faster. None. That would require:
- Changing your stated opinion.
- Acknowledging something positive about an Apple product.

Why the hell I bothered trying after you displayed your true feeling and then apologized for 'word choice' ... who knows. I'm done.

In fact, since IE is worse than Safari, it is actually a reason to buy an iPad over a netbook, right?

Of course not.

Ehh, so what other browsers are available for the Ipad ?

Nothing would make you convinced

I think you can admit that the "tests" you provided where flawed in several ways…. you though firefox was the fastest starting when in fact it is slow to start…

- Acknowledging something positive about an Apple product.

As seen earlier I did acknowledge some positive things. Just not the things that you might want that I don't considering being positive.

one last thing to throw in here regarding flash - HTML5 is not available on most browsers. Firefox 4 has it but its still in beta. Whether its the technology that replaces Flash is still a long ways away.

Back
Top Bottom