Sword Coast Legends - on Dungeon Masters and CRPG revival

That may be true, but only because they might be the only company releasing such games.

I love what they did with BG 1&2, but I agree with FunktionJCB. There's a big difference between creating games using an existing engine, characters, etc, and creating original titles.

I'd love to see more classic D&D, but I want a modern engine and an original story and characters.

Yea, true, it's a whole another kettle of fish to make a new game/expansion, compared to improving upon an existing one. So it will be interesting to see how the new expansion turns out. That said, while it would be nice to see a new game engine and story in the D&D universe, at this point I'm just happy to get a new game in the series, even if it is with older technology. But yea, a new infinity-style engine, combined with new games set in the D&D world? That would be awesome.

Based on Steam Head Start comments, this is even worse than I feared.

Here's hoping those guys are just the vocal minority hating on it - though it sounds like they're bitching about what I was afraid of, including trivial action combat and a completely butchered implementation of 5th Edition.

I got it reasonably cheap, but I advise anyone on the fence to steer clear until you've done more research into this game.

As i said before this game is more Dragon Age Origins 2.0 with the DD slapped onto it by force. I am enjoying it a lot for what it is however the lag is a problem. I guess WotC is not used to catering to a large userbase?

As i said before this game is more Dragon Age Origins 2.0 with the DD slapped onto it by force. I am enjoying it a lot for what it is however the lag is a problem. I guess WotC is not used to catering to a large userbase?

Is the story and overall quality of presentation better or worse than Dragon Age?

I do not know the story isnt active at the moment. It will only be playable when is released. So far we have been only playign user created maps.

I do not know the story isnt active at the moment. It will only be playable when is released. So far we have been only playign user created maps.

Hmm, I see… Well, without the story - I don't see how anyone can say it's Dragon Age 2.0.

For my part, story was the primary appeal of Dragon Age - and I found the combat repetitive and tedious once I realised there was an ideal party setup that almost never had to change.

Based on the Steam comments, several people have tried it on the hardest setting and already found several broken mechanics that make the combat experience trivial.

Maybe it'll be fixed in the next week, but I remain extremely sceptical about this game in the shorter term, and I fail to see much long-term potential at this point.

Seems some punters have discovered the auto-pause options which they are liking very much, makes the game feel turn based. Interesting. I can't remember did DAO have auto-pause?

-kaos

Hmm, I see… Well, without the story - I don't see how anyone can say it's Dragon Age 2.0.

For my part, story was the primary appeal of Dragon Age - and I found the combat repetitive and tedious once I realised there was an ideal party setup that almost never had to change.

Based on the Steam comments, several people have tried it on the hardest setting and already found several broken mechanics that make the combat experience trivial.

Maybe it'll be fixed in the next week, but I remain extremely sceptical about this game in the shorter term, and I fail to see much long-term potential at this point.

Sounds like DA:O to me in terms of gameplay. ;)

Regarding the comments comparing combat to DA:O...My impression is that it is closer to DA2 in feel, but much more like DA:O in look--camera angle and avatars touching bases to melee--if that makes sense. The skill trees are more similar to DA2, and it plays like a slower paced version of that, while DA:O combat was closer overall to Infinity Engine games.

I don't mind DA2 combat, but if you hated that, you might not like this as a kind of mash between DA:O and DA2 styles.

Regarding the comments comparing combat to DA:O…My impression is that it is closer to DA2 in feel, but much more like DA:O in look--camera angle and avatars touching bases to melee--if that makes sense. The skill trees are more similar to DA2, and it plays like a slower paced version of that, while DA:O combat was closer overall to Infinity Engine games.

I don't mind DA2 combat, but if you hated that, you might not like this as a kind of mash between DA:O and DA2 styles.

In my case it's not really about the combat. I was ok with DA2 combat, but it just doesn't work for an even somewhat accurate representation of D&D. A wizard in D&D has lots of spells and options, while in DA2 you're restricted to what, 8 actions?

So if one were looking for a Baldurs Gate III type experience, is there anything on the long term development horizon to be excited about (with a modern graphics engine)? To be specific...I mean something that uses a DnD rule set, is party based, and doesn't have hot key mmo mechanics. I was hoping to get it with Pillars, but didn't get it.

Obisidian have a deal with Pathfinder to possibly do a cRPG. For now they did a card game.

Also Beamdog said their next project would be a game in 3d engine if Siege of Dragonspear does well. We can hope it is a D&D game.

The Demons Age game uses 3.5e D&D as it base although not officially a D&D game. We have yet to see how much is it like D&D.

Upcoming Torment: Tides of Numenera is not really D&D but also based on d20 and has classes and spells. It has party based gameplay and it is turn based and plays similar to D&D.

I think most studios see more value in their own IPs these days, and won't fancy shelling out for an AD&D licence.

I haven't seen so much hate for a game for not being another game since UFO: Extraterrestrials.

So if one were looking for a Baldurs Gate III type experience, is there anything on the long term development horizon to be excited about (with a modern graphics engine)? To be specific…I mean something that uses a DnD rule set, is party based, and doesn't have hot key mmo mechanics. I was hoping to get it with Pillars, but didn't get it.

Siege of DragonSpear....well it's not a modern engine and technically it is an expansion for BG:EE (and not standalone), but I personally think Beamdog aged the Infinity Engine very well.

Game was delayed to 20 october lol
Why "lol"?
As I previous mentioned, the game could use a month or so of polish (and improvements on the editing tools), so as far am I'm concerned, this is good news.
I certainly don't mind waiting 3 more weeks, for a better product.

It's always positive when a developer receives feedback, and is willing to take the time to work on improving things, instead of going ahead, and dropping the game as is.

Back
Top Bottom