PoE: The White March - Available Now

Same boat as a lot of you. I'm not impressed by the 'expansion'.

My advice for people that have a backlog or haven't started this game yet… just wait till part 2 + patches is out and on sale. Its not like the graphics are gonna age or something.

Last edited:
Yeah, frankly, I am disappointed by this being called an expansion. A little diddly DLC tack on area and a couple companions is not what I thought I was signing up for. I thought I was signing up for an entirely new campaign ala a BG2, or NWN/2 expansion. Last time I prepay for a DLC sold as an "expansion". :/

It was presented in the KS as PoE version of a Infinity Engine expansion. Josh used Tale of the Sword Coast and Heart of Winter as examples…and from the look of things The White March part 1 is about the same size as these two expac: 4 new zones with about ~20 hours of new content via the storyline in those areas.

Don't remember that, but I don't doubt you. Those are about the lamest (in terms of least content) expansions from that era though…

Last edited:
I like the AI base game changes but still not sure what patches and changes will occur so not picking this up yet and still waiting to play base game
Things like AI changes and many other things are coming to base game with Patch 2.0 that was released to steam today.

With the story getting so weak by the end of game I am not sure I am interested in 10 more hours.

Brutal load times are still to fresh in my mind.

Yeah, frankly, I am disappointed by this being called an expansion. A little diddly DLC tack on area and a couple companions is not what I thought I was signing up for. I thought I was signing up for an entirely new campaign ala a BG2, or NWN/2 expansion. Last time I prepay for a DLC sold as an "expansion". :/

Not sure how you got that idea as it was always marketed as an expansion to the original game in the same way TotSC was an expansion. Extra areas with new loot, characters and challenges, not a new game. I just see this as a reason to replay a great game.

Not sure how you got that idea as it was always marketed as an expansion to the original game in the same way TotSC was an expansion. Extra areas with new loot, characters and challenges, not a new game. I just see this as a reason to replay a great game.

I am with Thrasher. It really seems like they are bleeding us on this. Instead of releasing the whole expansion game, they broke it down making it seem like DLC.

It was presented in the KS as PoE version of a Infinity Engine expansion. Josh used Tale of the Sword Coast and Heart of Winter as examples…and from the look of things The White March part 1 is about the same size as these two expac: 4 new zones with about ~20 hours of new content via the storyline in those areas.

Guys, you are playing into their backpedaling. I made my pledge right after the kickstarter announcement, before the "but...."

That’s right, it’s not DLC, but a real honest to God RPG expansion pack. We don’t have the details on the Expansion yet, but you can bet it will be what you’d expect from an Infinity Engine game expansion.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/posts/324405

Well apparently I did not tack on this expansion on my KS pledge. I guess I got some of the digital goodies instead. No major loss I guess but not sure I'm going to pick this up right now. Surprisingly to me I haven't finished PoE yet so I'm not eager to pick this up and more so that its only part 1 and will probably wait for a sale.

And regarding ToSC, it was weak in terms of content and I remember thinking that at the time but it wasn't not terrible. I was not the biggest fan of BG 1 because of the repetitive maps with 3 evenly spaced encounters per map but still liked it overall. BG2 was something altogether different though and a transcendent experience.

I dont think they are trying to bleed us. I think they probably just knew it was going to take so long to finish the whole thing they didn't want so much time to elapse before releasing something. Its that or they need the cash which would be more concerning to me. Though it could be both.

Well apparently I did not tack on this expansion on my KS pledge. I guess I got some of the digital goodies instead. No major loss I guess but not sure I'm going to pick this up right now. Surprisingly to me I haven't finished PoE yet so I'm not eager to pick this up and more so that its only part 1 and will probably wait for a sale.

And regarding ToSC, it was weak in terms of content and I remember thinking that at the time but it wasn't not terrible. I was not the biggest fan of BG 1 because of the repetitive maps with 3 evenly spaced encounters per map but still liked it overall. BG2 was something altogether different though and a transcendent experience.

I dont think they are trying to bleed us. I think they probably just knew it was going to take so long to finish the whole thing they didn't want so much time to elapse before releasing something. Its that or they need the cash which would be more concerning to me. Though it could be both.

I'm not sure they "need" cash. The game hasn't been on sale for more than 33% off and they've sold 500k plus copies. I do think they are trying to continue to get in sales though. By breaking it into two parts they can charge more and bring POE more often into the news. I still don't mind too much. Its still my game of the year, so far.

Some of you tend to forget that TotSC featured "Durlag's Tower" which still ranks #1 in my personal "best dungeon of all time" list, although it was clearly ripped out of the main game.

As far as I understood TWM will feature something like this, too. So it really sounds like something up my alley.

BUT…

of course I will wait till someone releases this on a disc. I won't buy any digital distribution crap. I waited out the release of "Valkyria Chronicles" and I will wait out the boxed "Raven's Cry" release. It is worth the wait.

Tale of the Sword Coast and Heart of Winter where not Infinity Engine expansions then? I remember them being over $30 at release personally and they have a similar size to The White March part 1.

Where is the problem here exactly?

I consider those more like DLC in today's parlance, not true full expansions.

Semantics. DLC is a distribution method, expansion a software type. Both can apply at the same time. It says nothing about product quality.

There is nothing wrong about add-ins. Fallout or Elder Scrolls use them all the time, and you can't complain about Obsidian's expansions to Fallout: New Vegas. And you have to consider that all the new stuff to game mechanics from patch 2.0 only consists because of this expansion. Another developer would have waited to present them in a new full price sale.

Last edited:
Except that's not how Obsidian used the word "DLC" in the Kickstarter blurb. And it's not what they intended to connote. "not DLC, but a real honest to God RPG expansion pack" should be pretty obvious. :rolleyes:

This and CDProjeck's, and Larian's recent transgressions is really is leading me to believe that game software developers have a real hard time honestly fulfilling their Kickstarter promises and general hype. If being a game publisher has to regularly deal with this sort of misinformation from the developers, I am starting to feel sorry for them. ;)

It's leading me to read less and less about kickstarters and any pre-release hype. I'll save more of my time for honest after the fact reviews, which themselves are hard to find.

Last edited:
@Thrasher - I was initially blown away by kickstarter and what it represented, but now I am more cautious. I don't back anything at a high tier anymore. If I think the basic premise of a game is good, then I will likely still back it (at entry level),but I take all the hype and promises with a pinch of salt.

Back
Top Bottom