Risen 2 - A Pirate's Life @ IGN

Thanks doberlec. So actually we gain an additional movement option with the ledge climbing. That is good news indeed. Monkey sounds fun. If the monkey gets killed, is it gone for good? Can you buy another one?

What happens if the monkey misbehaves? Can you spank the monkey?

Hehe no, you can't spank the monkey :D

Thanks doberlec. So actually we gain an additional movement option with the ledge climbing. That is good news indeed. Monkey sounds fun. If the monkey gets killed, is it gone for good? Can you buy another one?

You will be able to use it again, we didn't want you to grind for fresh monkey puppies once yours was MIA.

Last edited:
Fresh monkey puppies, LMAO.

HEY Capt. Huggy Face! They're talking about you here. I didn't know you were in Risen 2.

Alright there seems to be some mixup on the different degrees of freedom in the game, so here are the details:
Thanks for the details, sounds good!
I like the monkey addition, the concept has potential.

Nice clip doberlec.

The clip basically shows good ol' PB style climbing. Most people around here will be able to identify such climbing in an instant.

Nice clip doberlec.

The clip basically shows good ol' PB style climbing. Most people around here will be able to identify such climbing in an instant.

I'd say it's more like "good ol' Core Design style climbing" ;) because Tomb Raider introduced this style of climbing loooong before Gothic was even conceived.
And the "good ol' PB style climbing" did allow for more freedom. You did not always need a straight ledge like in this clip in Gothic/Gothic 2. You could pull up on pretty much anything from a rocky ledge to a roof.
If there would have only been the style of climbing in Gothic 2 that is presented in doberlec's clip then it would never have been possible to find the mountain route into the valley of mines in G2.
Climbing in Risen 2 is definitely a bit more restrictive than it was in the Gothics but luckily not as much as you might think when you hear "hot-spots".

gothic games were challenging in the fact that if you picked a fight or caused trouble you would get beat down and your gold stolen. also the openness of the worlds let you wander into some areas that even with much gothic experience you'd get your ass handed to you. thats one of the great things about pirahna bytes. they have safe areas like roads and a number of hints and tips via npcs, but you're also free to explore with some actual risk involved—not just wandering aimlessly and exploring as in some games and still make it out in one piece. no the gothic games always did a good job of making the world you explored fun, but also realisticly harsh.

I'd say it's more like "good ol' Core Design style climbing" ;) because Tomb Raider introduced this style of climbing loooong before Gothic was even conceived.

I didagree, because this kind of climbing was first introduced in Commander Keen 4 !

That was still 2D, though, but at that time it was a novelty !

You could pull up on pretty much anything from a rocky ledge to a roof.

That's how it was implemented in Commander Keen 4 : It was new for/at that time to be able to pull yourself up on cliffs and edges !

Back
Top Bottom