What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

You'd have to work really hard not to chop your own arms off or stab yourself in the face with that bloody thing. :rotfl:

Watched As Above, So Below. That's a mix between found footage, haunted house horror and a good dosis of The Descent. Apart from ca. 2-3 minutes of excessive shaky cam, the visuals are very effective. The film gets to the point within less than 15 minutes and doesn't waste much time on the usual nonsense. Then a group of people enter the City of the Dead under Paris, which works as the haunted house. As usual, the reason why doesn't really matter. The catacombs and the bones are real. The scenery is used in a great way to disguise the low budget. The acting is solid too.
In the 2nd act the suspense and the tempo are increased. The 3rd act gets more bloody ...
The film itself is surprisingly consistent within its own universe. Only 2 or 3 kills were filler, the rest made sense, as did the conclusion.
A well made, surprisingly deep (pun intended) and entertaining film. The 6.1 at IMDB are too low. I would give it a B.

Gone Girl
No reason to write much. It's a very good thriller, although the point is pretty obvious. Positively old fashioned. A-.

Just came back from The Hobbit, Part 3. It was ok, going on pretty nice.
It does suffer from a bit of too much fighting, though nothing as much as Part 2, imo.
But overall, I think it's my favorite one of the three. Even though the other two parts had they good things (the riddles in the dark in part 1, and the chat between Smaug and Bilbo). I think one thing I liked a lot was the setups and tie-ins with the Lotr movies. Which again, proves how far apart the LOTR movies are, quality-wise, from the Hobbit movies.

Too bad I could only see it in 3D. God, when will this 3D shit just die.

We watched 'The 100 Foot Journey' on New Year's Eve. All about cooking, culture and relationships and starring Helen Mirren - it wasn't as good as I might have hoped, but it was well shot, well acted and overall a highly enjoyable movie. Solid B.

Movies I watched in the last month:

1-Gone girl…not bad, I really can't stand Ben Affleck but not a bad movie.
2- Still Alice, Julianne Moore should win an award for best actress.
3- The Drop, I do believe this was James Gandolfini last movie. I reall enjoyed this one.
4- Foxcatcher ..A great movie I can't say enough about it.

Last edited:
I found this New Zealand movie called What we do in the Shadows. All I can say if you were ever a fan of More Bad News or This is Spinal Tap you have to watch this.

It is mockumentary on Vampires … I laughed so hard, it is very well done.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3416742/

Gone Girl 3/10

Is that in the context of having read the book, or just as an overall experience, or ... ?

We'd both read the book, and I would rate it higher (subjective, of course) but I know at that point my experience of the movie is directly tied to enjoying the book (had I not, I wouldn't have gone to the theater).

Is that in the context of having read the book, or just as an overall experience, or … ?

We'd both read the book, and I would rate it higher (subjective, of course) but I know at that point my experience of the movie is directly tied to enjoying the book (had I not, I wouldn't have gone to the theater).

I have not read the book, so it's just as a movie experience.

Damn Dart, where did you go? Did you have one of those 2 month vacations?

Damn Dart, where did you go? Did you have one of those 2 month vacations?

Hehe, nah, I just needed a break from endless debates :)

Also, I thought the site could use a break from me as well.

But I guess I couldn't stay away entirely ;)

I actually just got asked by a pen-pal what movies I'd seen lately and I had seen quite a few!

Scores out of 5 stars:
Automata - 4 (About robots gaining consciousness. I'm feeling generous. It's wasn't fantastic, but I really enjoyed it at the time.)
Snowpiercer - 2.5 (action sci-fi which could have been good if it wasnt just one big fight)
Ghostbusters - 4 (yep, the 1984 original. There is no daina there is only zool! xD)
The Thirteenth Floor - 3.5 (about simulated worlds)
The Man From Earth - 2.5 (about a guy who doesnt die. Very low budget - whole movie is in one room)
Primer - N/A (fell asleep. )
A Night At The Roxbury - 4 (silly comedy from the 90s. Somehow its better than it should be)
Four Lions - 4 (UK film by Chris Morris, the maker of that IT Crowd series. about stupid jihad guys)
Dumb n Dumber to - 2 (meh… Jim Carry is always good. If it wasnt for him the movie would have been awful)
The Interview - 2 (propaganda, much?)
The Signal - 3 (about hackers who track down an alien who abducts them)
Under The Skin - 4.5 (Weird movie! With scarlet johanson, set in scottland.)
Coherence - 2.5 (about multiple realities combined by a passing comet)
The One I Love - 3 (couple meets perfect versions of their partner in a haunted house)
Edge of Tomorrow - 3.5 (tom cruise! groundhog day, sci-fi style)
The Congress - 4.5 (based on a book I used to love. It's a real trippy movie.)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles = 2
Before I disappear = 3.5
Housebound (new zealand movie!) = 3
The Babadook (Australian movie!!) = 4
Lucy = 3.5
Reclaim = 2.5
As Above, So below = 3
Predestination = 3.5
The Maze Runner = 3

Wholeheartedly disagree with your 2.5 rating on Man from Earth. Wonderful movie that gets a person engaged from start to finish.

Dito, it did more for me, just by having some people talk in a room, than most big budget movies that have weak storylines.

Watched recently and worth mentioning
The Equalizer - pretty aggressive film 7/10
Predestination - twisted and morbid but for some reason I liked it 7.5/10
The Grand Budapest Hotel - artsy(not too much), liked the humor, good acting 8/10
Revisited some oldies
The Name Of The Rose - brilliant film 9/10
My Name Is Nobody - not into western movies but this one stands out 8.5/10

Last edited:
John Wick 4/10

It gets a small break because I liked the villain and it was so ridiculous that I had to crack a smile now and then :)

However, I was *this* close to turning it off because of the dog scene. I can't handle anything bad happening to dogs.

Equalizer 3/10

Abysmal, really. Not sure why I add 3 points. I think it's because it started off kinda interesting.

Predestination 7.5/10

I liked it quite a bit - and Ethan Hawke just gets better and better.

Back
Top Bottom