Simple RPGs and Roguelikes

mytgroo

Watchdog
I don't like most of the RPGs that are coming out right now because they are too complicated, too much stuff, too much immersion. I like it light and fast with lots of options.

The RPGs that I see that are coming out soon which I like are Scallywag by Shrapnel Games, Eschalon Book 1-- Basilisk Games, and Avernum 5. Almost everything else looks too complicated and messy.

I also like roguelikes because of their simplicity, Linley's Dungeon Crawl comes to mind-- a simple tile based interface, fight the monster get the loot.

Baldur's Gate was a bit complex for my tastes, but I liked it.

Any solid recommendations.

Try Fate if you haven't already!!

Fate was a lot of fun. Nice and simple. The best part of it was the fish.

Because I hate Dosbox and like tile based roguelikes, anybody have any more suggestions for tiled roguelikes, you know the ones with little itty bitty pictures...

I will chime in with my obligatory 'classic rpg's are now coming to handhelds' post ... but games like Mazes of Fate for the GBA, Izuna and Etrian Odyssey on the DS, and Dungeon Maker and the upcoming D&D Tactics on the PSP really show where the emphasis is ... and the genre looks and plays great on those systems.

We did have our Fast Crawl addiction blow thru the Watch thanks to Sammy.

Back
Top Bottom