Skyrim - What I Hate Most

I tend to agree that the TES games are designed for people to exploit if they want to. That's why I just laugh when people claim smithing or enchanting are "broken" in Skyrim. They are only broken if you choose to break them. If you play the game in a simulation style, they aren't broken at all. If you choose to exploit the system, the game lets you do that. No one is forcing you to make 100 iron daggers or whatever. So I have no problem with that aspect of Bethesda's games.

I tend to agree that the TES games are designed for people to exploit if they want to. That's why I just laugh when people claim smithing or enchanting are "broken" in Skyrim. They are only broken if you choose to break them. If you play the game in a simulation style, they aren't broken at all. If you choose to exploit the system, the game lets you do that. No one is forcing you to make 100 iron daggers or whatever. So I have no problem with that aspect of Bethesda's games.

I think Bethesda games are designed for people to exploit, period. And I tend to laugh when people claim "it's not an issue if you gimp your character, use tactics that are punished by the game engine instead of tactics that are rewarded, etc, etc, etc". I'm honestly baffled by people who seem to think that exploiting is not the intended default mode of behavior in Bethesda games. For instance, how many people choose NOT to abuse the broken stealth system? How many people choose NOT to exploit bad AI and bad combat mechanics to kill critters they'd have no chance of killing in a straight up fight? Anyway, I'll leave off with that now. I've said all I have to say about it. We all know how much Bethesda games reward people for finding and abusing exploits and we all know Bethesda does that on purpose. Whether we admit it or not. Even look at that other post on this site about the compass headings and being directed to places you don't even know about yet by the magic arrow on the compass. If the magic compass had been added by a player mod rather than built into the game, people would call it a cheat. Somebody tell me Bethesda didn't know what impact that would have on gameplay before they added it?

Anyway, on my list of quibbles I need to add the fact that once again Bethesda has decided that spawning critters in populated areas to depopulate them would be funny. Personally, I find it depressing that it's my task as the dragonborn hero chosen one special kid who was adopted and has a secret unique heritage that nobody but me and my foster father know about until I do something spectacular to show everyone I am the messiah (and a bunch of other stuff)... that it's MY TASK and mine alone to save the world... and the designers thought that it'd be funny if the world was busy committing suicide while I do that, so that by the time I'm done there's nobody left to save. Except the people who sandbox indoors in a safe area. Provided they don't fall down the stairs and die, or bump into a cabbage cart and die of internal bleeding.

Back
Top Bottom