ROA: Blade of Destiny Launch

Yeah, I suspect it's contract with their publisher.

I doubt that. Normally two parties find an agreement if the issue is splitting somebody else's money. ;)

I doubt that. Normally two parties find an agreement if the issue is splitting somebody else's money. ;)
LOL but don't Kickstarter rules prohibit it for predictable outcomes? Not sure about the details, though.

I quickly tried the new 1.04 version this morning (GMT+1) and has been really surprised by the number of fix, all missing labels and German labels and few German dialog I checked are now fixed ie keys issue sorted or English version found.

They have fix a very boring bug about lost a positive attribute point in some cases during level up panels.

Still hadn't the patience push too far my check because eating food is still making hungry.

EDIT: I haven't check very far in the game, but in character panels and first dialogs close to start position and even loading game texts, all I quoted was fixed. So despite the initial appearance of total garbage in translations and English texts, it really seem like they had something relatively clean for English texts and get a garbage and lost it right for the release, but now seems have get it back more clean.

I'm less sure that the gameplay and mechanism are enough clean too, the feeding not working is a very bad clue.

the meaty bits (combat) start at 15:35

Either this guy is clueless or the combat has exactly the same tactical depth as the originals (read: none).

Oh, but you CAN shoot diagonally now :lol:

Well I bet he shows how unplayable are the combats. And it's clearly totally unplayable.

Otherwise, I haven't play the original yet, but combats interest is a lot about applying the result of you party build, less about pure tactics, if combats was as good than for example in ToE, that would be known.

Well I bet he shows how unplayable are the combats. And it's clearly totally unplayable.

True, but that doesn't change the fact that all you can see him attempt to do are standard attacks (and the odd spell)

Otherwise, I haven't play the original yet, but combats interest is a lot about applying the result of you party build, less about pure tactics, if combats was as good than for example in ToE, that would be known.

I disagree. Any good combat system will offer both tactics AND the ability to test your builds. The old Arkania games didn't have either. Building a character's combat efficiency was entirely down to raising one or two weapon skills (heavily dictated by your class) and maybe also ramp up the overpowered strength attribute (for melee chars). Tactics were also very rare/ mundane. Heck, if you played Drakensang, that has way more depth to its combat and even that I would call mediocre at best.

Heck, if you played Drakensang, that has way more depth to its combat and even that I would call mediocre at best.
I hope we all played it.
Mediocre? Right. Nothing in that game was mediocre. Most important - it had savegames system. If there was Drakensang3 (not the shitte flash MMO) I'd instapreorder it. But there won't be.

Oh, but you CAN shoot diagonally now :lol:
Ah, so it's not all bad news after all. :biggrin:

This trainwreck of a launch is really unfortunate, as I do think the devs were not trying to "pull one over" on us and laugh all the way to the bank, but were honestly trying to do a good, solid, faithful-to-its-roots remake of ROA 1. Too bad they rolled a Critical Failure on their WIS check on when to release the game (and the beta testers fumbled their respective rolls spectacularly as well).

I had hoped to see the other two games of the trilogy redone as well, but after this debacle it's highly doubtful. If by some miracle the devs manage to patch this game into half-respectable shape fast (at least beta state), like in the next two weeks, they might regain some trust back, but I guess they've already lost all but the old school ROA fans (which they had from the get-go) -- not sure if that's enough to keep them going for the second part of the trilogy.

PS. Mind you, I haven't played this remake yet. I pre-ordered, but haven't installed the game, not after reading the numerous WTF threads on e.g. Steam. I've decided to wait a patch or ten.

This isn't the game with the savegames issues, joxer.

:p

Well more important, the mediocre combats was for ROA not Drakensang. I suppose joxer doesn't like much the Drakensang series and tends interpret sentences in his way so it matches his expectations. :)

But I admit the construction of the sentence he answered was more than upside down.

EDIT: Drakensang 1 combats was very good, on some points better than those of DOA or DA2, but on some other points less good than both. I never finished Drakensang 2 but remember a more or less same solid stuff. And all four better combats than Skyrim, TW, or Divinity 2.

Well more important, the mediocre combats was for ROA not Drakensang. I suppose joxer doesn't like much the Drakensang series and tends interpret sentences in his way so it matches his expectations. :)

But I admit the construction of the sentence he answered was more than upside down.

Uhm, I think that sentence was fine (native English speakers plz correct me). The 'mediocre' WAS in fact referring to Drakensang's combat. ROA's combat is… well… lousy. It's long (especially against foes of your power level, and even against foes weaker than you), it's dull (very few options) and it's repetitive (there's a lot of fighting). Drakensang's was better due to better character building (but not great because everyone could become a master of everything) and active abilities (also not great because there were few abilities and as I said everyone could learn everything). Also it didn't help that positioning was even less important in Drakensang than it was in RoA (due to no collision detection, monsters running right through your tanks).

And all four better combats than Skyrim, TW, or Divinity 2.

So basically, you're saying 6 characters are better than 1 character? :p

(I agree)

So basically, you're saying 6 characters are better than 1 character? :p

(I agree)
Now you unmasked me so clearly all my arguing as been destroyed. :biggrin:

I seriously didn't wrote that even if I think it a little. I'm saying more that the current mainstreet railroad for AAA RPG should start put them in question about this point.

I have played few month ago a turn based game with single character fights, and that's been a blast, very very fun fights with a good amount of depth.

I think more that single character action RPG should try stop copy each other (or auto copy themselves) and reproduce a very similar blend because it's not that fun.

Uhm, I think that sentence was fine (native English speakers plz correct me). The 'mediocre' WAS in fact referring to Drakensang's combat.
Ha yeah, well it's so incoherent that I couldn't believe it so couldn't read it. :)

Seriously, fine it's tedious, so I LOL loud, you guys prefer what? Ultima 7 (big LOL), DAO (woo that's the new standard?) DA2? Or really any among TW series, ES series, or Div2? Seriously if Drakensang fights are tedious then most modern action RPG have boring fights.

Now you unmasked me so clearly all my arguing as been destroyed. :biggrin:

I seriously didn't wrote that even if I think it a little. I'm saying more that the current mainstreet railroad for AAA RPG should start put them in question about this point.

I have played few month ago a turn based game with single character fights, and that's been a blast, very very fun fights with a good amount of depth.

I liked Fallout's combat well enough, 1 character turn based is fun if you have action points. Like, should I kick him in the nuts twice and use a stimpak, or maybe throw 2 grenades, or switch weapons and do one burst shot with an assault rifle? Eschalon's combat suffered a bit IMO in that you have 1 character with 1 action per round.

Seriously, fine it's tedious, so I LOL loud, you guys prefer what? Ultima 7 (big LOL), DAO (woo that's the new standard?) DA2? Or really any among TW series, ES series, or Div2? Seriously if Drakensang fights are tedious then most modern action RPG have boring fights.

You may not have misquoted me intentionally, but I didn't say Drakensang's combat was 'tedious', which would mean that I tried to avoid it when possible. I said it was 'mediocre'.

I think that (for the reasons I mentioned!) Drakensang's combat was inferior to, say, Wizardry 8's. Drakensang has more active abilities, but a lot of them are just "moar damage", and Wiz allows for more varied planning. You simply have more options, you can position your guys meaningfully, protect other members, cast more spells at different power levels, you have a meaningful initiative mechanic in combat, and you can tune your characters A LOT more to be offensive fighters/ casters or tanks.

Back
Top Bottom