Gamersgate Version Audio Problems

Thanks for this sound fix.

After applying the Unofficial 1.4 patch I hear english voices in the opening scene. After that the radio communication is silent (radio without sound ?). Not sure if this intended. After the training session you can talk with people, but I hear nothing. This can't be true as in the older game Boiling Point there were spoken dialogs. There is even a sound slider control for voices, but setting it at max it won't help.

Downloading the sound files now!

Edit: It works fine now. Radio with sound and talking with sound. Great!

Last edited:
Hey there!
I just picked up Precursors on GamersGate, thinking that a FPS with a bit of open-worldness sounds like a good idea.
Little did I know about the… state… this english version is in…

Originally Posted by doglikesparky View Post
3. Install Official Russian 1.1 DVD Patch
4. Replace files with backed up versions
This will revert any engine related 1.1 changes. Better find another way to circumvent the protection than the crack included with the GG 1.0 version.

That's not necessary anymore with my 1.3 patch…
Like others before I'm trying to make heads and tails of this whole installation ahh… project.

You're saying that there is another way to use the russian 1.1 patch with the GG version, right?
The GG version does not display a game version anywhere I could find so I'm assuming that it's still as screwed-up as ever.
So if I were to patch the russin 1.1 over it, (obviously reinstalling the check for a copy protection that was never installed), what "other way" would I use to make that work?

The reason why I'm asking is that the rather extensive instructions in the OP just don't work for me.

I tried
1. GG version
2. russian language pack
3. english voiceovers pack
4. unofficial 1.4 patch

No go.
Crashes on loading with a
"Sound file 'SOUNDS\CUTSCENES\ABOUTCASSILA\SCENE1.OGG' is not listed in cache\sndlist.dat"

I would assume that sndlist.dat is supposed to be part of the gf_sounds.grp archive in the russian language pack.
It would make no sense to have additional / missing sounds and not reference them there for use.

So like… I DID unpack everything. Took a look.
Turns out that error message was dead on.

A) No file cache\sndlist.dat exists in the "russian sounds" gf_sounds.grp archive.
Instead you have a CACHE\pc\sndlist.dat file but computers are known to be quite literal.

B) This sndlist.dat contains no reference to either "SCENE1" or even "ABOUTCASSILA".

Seems to me like just this one file is from the wrong version.

Any way I could get ahold of a correct one?

Hi Gazz, I haven't looked at this stuff for a while and you might have tried this already, but I seem to recall that simply deleting the "CACHE\pc\sndlist.dat" file used to do the trick for me.

The game will regenerate this file on launch if it's not there, hopefully one that it can get along with...

i had these same errors as well and have gone back a few times in the past month or so, spent close to an hour or so, gave up, and went to something else. i was elated the last time as i at least got to the main menu, of course after that it was zilch.

Thank you.

Alas this didn't work any better than unpacking everything and removing any trace of sndlist.dat so that a new one would be auto-generated.

I have now uninstalled Precursors and deleted everything related to it.
After tinkering for hours, I decided that it's just not worth it for yet another FPS.

Thanks for trying and for all the work you put in towards turning this mess into a game. =)

hello! i also picked this up on gamersgate and tried to follow the instruction in this thread- but i´m really confused.
i extracted the language packs with 7zip but the second said the file was broken
i re-downloaded them and the same message appeared- i used them nonetheless (which probably was no good idea)
i also installed the override and finally the latest 1.4 patch.

i think i got it all wrong.messed it up :D after two minutes the game crashes. so i uninstalled everything- and deleted all remaining files an i´m doing an fresh install now.

any help on how to proceed and how to unpack the language files without error message would be very much appreciated !! :)

edit - somehow i got it- after some hours of fiddling... :p

Last edited:
Any tips for others with the same problem? Did you need the file I linked to above?

-did an fresh install
-copied over the language fix
-installed the 1.4 patch - still had flickering
-then copied the separate flicker fix - still had flickering,but then i noticed that the postprocess folder was outside precursors main-folder somehow. i grabbed it and put it inside the game-folder
and voilá it works.

… more a less like this :p

my first attempts at unpacking the voice-files it always said "file broken" - but that was because i used 7zip - when i did it with win rar it worked.

-installed the 1.4 patch - still had flickering

This is strange, the patch should include the same fix as posted here. Or which one did you use?

my first attempts at unpacking the voice-files it always said "file broken" - but that was because i used 7zip - when i did it with win rar it worked.

Yeah, some compression tools change the date to correct for daylight saving time which messes the game's file recognition up...

This is strange, the patch should include the same fix as posted here. Or which one did you use?

i think it was because some files ended up outside of the precursers folder after installing the patch.probably i didn´t choose the right path.

This may seem like an odd question to ask but is the dialogue meant to be this...strange after applying the 1.4 patch.

I mean, it's all English with quite recognisable (albeit unusual) syntax. But pretty much everyone comes across as rather insane. I have no idea whether it's meant to sound that way or if the translation patch didn't apply properly.

I mean, it's all English with quite recognisable (albeit unusual) syntax. But pretty much everyone comes across as rather insane. I have no idea whether it's meant to sound that way or if the translation patch didn't apply properly.

It's sad, but this is like it supposed to be. You see, the translation patch didn't translate the whole game text, it only restored a translation that was already hidden in the Russian release. Which was probably translated by Russians not very firm in English. I improve it whenever I notice something, but redoing all of it is just too much...

So I just bought gamersgate version.

The proper procedure is:

Install GG version
Install language pack downloaded from megaupload on previous page (2 part)
Install 1.4 patch

?

Are those language packs somewhere else? From megaupload I will be downloading them for an eternity..

Oh that's fine Wesp5. I agree and accept that normalising the English of an entire game script would be a herculean undertaking for one individual working in their spare time. I just wanted to be sure that the weirdness I was seeing was as it should be, and it appears it is. I'm cool with that and appreciate the work you're doing.

Now that Megaupload is gone, is there any way to get the sound files still?

Now that Megaupload is gone, is there any way to get the sound files still?

Beamdog does offer these files officially on their site, but I don't know if you must have their version of the games to download them.

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, in their own words:

"You must own the base game before you can get a free expansion"

A shame, really, since I bought the game at Gamersgate.

Edit: I asked Gamersgate if they can make the files available. Would be nice if they can -- and give everyone who bought the English version a completely legal way to improve it. Let's see what happens.

Last edited:
This is probably frowned upon and I'm certainly not advocating piracy, but I'd suggest downloading a torrent of the Russian version of the game, installing it somewhere, and grabbing the relevant sound files from there.

This "English" version being sold is a hack job and you've paid good money for it, so I don't think going the torrent route is unreasonable in this situation.

Back
Top Bottom