Votes: 21 22.6%
  • Piranha Bytes

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • Spiderweb Games

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Spiders

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters
I went with PB in the end. I still tend to be a bit more pumped when a PB game is on its way than other games, as they still have the potential to create something truly special.

While I picked Bethesda, I could understand folks, who are even fans of the company, picking somebody else. Bethesda only puts out a game about once every 4-5 years. That's not really enough to be considered a development house. They're almost like an AAA indie. Now if you want to lump them in as Zenimax and add all the development houses under that moniker, then they can compete: ESO, Skyrim, Dishonored, Fallout, Rage, etc.

Are you suggesting it took 4-5 years to make Skyrim MMO after Skyrim SP?
Bethesda and Zenimax are one the same thing.

Are you suggesting it took 4-5 years to make Skyrim MMO after Skyrim SP?
Bethesda and Zenimax are one the same thing.

Well, I've only played games from Bethesda. I haven't played Dishonored, ESO, Rage, etc. So for me, Bethesda=Zenimax is an okay comparison. It elevates all the other studios to prime status though and I'm not sure they deserve it. I believe you love Dishonored, so you love Bethesda, right?

No. That'd mean there is one ring to rule them all in RL, and I believe that noone is perfect.
And also, loving a product doesn't mean I should love it's creator or it's other creations. It's like Pink Floyd. Some stuff you can adore, some stuff you want never to hear again.

Right now I'd say "Harebrained Schemes" because of Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's Cut. And I'm more excited for SR: Hong kong than any other RPG coming this year (and there's a lot of promising ones!).

I also really like CDPR and since HBS isn't on the list I guess I'll vote for them. I like Larian though I'm somewhat ambivalent about D:OS. Obsidian is like a collection of a really talented people that can never seem to realize their full potential.

I'd rank Bethesda at the very bottom, with Bioware as a close second.

So the developers of the best selling Rpgs of recent years (Bethesda and Bioware) come fourth and ninth respectively.
hmmm...

My top 5

1) PB: (Gothic rules them all-not a bad game in the bunch)
2) Bethesda: (Skyrim wipes away the memory of Oblivion)
3) Larian: (If only I could forget Beyond Divinity)
4) CD Projekt: (Cyberpunk will move them up this ladder)
5) Spiders: (Consistently good games - but no classics yet.)

In my case, it is a tie between Obsidian and CD Project. But since Obsidian is winning, I voted for CD Projekt to secure its 2nd place :).

If T:ToN meets expectations, InXile may become a major favourite in the near future.

Piranha Bytes made history with Gothic I & II but I think that they have lost that magic touch, unfortunately.

Still,it is a noteworthy contradiction and a strong indication that most people do not put their money where their mouth is.

Not at all. 114 people have voted, which is a very small sample, and as Dartagnan suggested, a highly biased one. You cannot infer anything about "most people" from this.

Pibbur who

Last edited:
Well 135 members now so his post accomplished the opposite effect. I don't think the poll will get many more votes as we usually get a maximum of 150 member votes.

So it's safe to say it looks like the following right now.:)

1. Obsidian
  2. CD Projekt
  3. Larian Studios
  4. Inxile Entertainment
  5. Bethesda
  6. BioWare
  7. Piranha Bytes
  8. Spiderweb Games
  9. Spiders
  10. Basilisk Games

Still,it is a noteworthy contradiction and a strong indication that most people do not put their money where their mouth is.

That sounds more like wishful thinking than a rational conclusion, I'm afraid :)

This site most definitely does NOT represent "the norm" where the average gaming consumer is concerned.

There's a sharp difference between favourite and most popular, this is a very basic concept you must have come across before in this world, Japol. There's a reason Transformers 3 didn't win Best movie at the Oscars and wasn't even nominated and likely not even considered.

This is a site of aficionados, not a publicity site for the companies with the best promotional budget. You'll notice Square Enix isn't even on the list, even though that company likely has the largest all time sales of a single franchise RPG category game ever and is still making games based on that franchise. But this is where the aficionado aspect plays its part.

Because you felt the need to question this normal approach to media I suspect that you have a horse in the race that isn't performing as well as you'd have liked? So you challenge the list instead of accepting what people consider as quality?

I wanted to put Obsidian in my top 5 but I'm not a Neverwinter Nights fan and KOTOR was just meh. I haven't played Wasteland 2 nor Stick of Truth (both are in my Steam library). The reason I really, really really, like Obsidian is because of Fallout-Vegas. For me it's tied with Deus Ex as the best Non-fantasy RPG. Just a spectacular piece of entertainment.

This is a site of aficionados, not a publicity site for the companies with the best promotional budget. You'll notice Square Enix isn't even on the list, even though that company likely has the largest all time sales of a single franchise RPG category game ever and is still making games based on that franchise. But this is where the aficionado aspect plays its part.

Yepp. And you'll probably not find Spiderweb at number 8, most likely not even among the nominees on the commercial sites.

pibbur who actually might have voted for Spiderweb.

Obsidian is the easy choice as fan favorite. Their games are great for that quick RPG fix. None of their games has been great and innovative though, but then that's expectations best left for better times. ;)

Back
Top Bottom