Should Bush Administration Be Prosecuted for Torture?

Should Bush & Co be prosecuted for torture, and if so by whom?

• Yes. Everyone involved should be prosecuted if guilty by the Us govt.

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Yes. Everyone involved should be prosecuted if guilty by an international court.

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Only those who authorized illegal procedures should be prosecuted if guilty by the Us govt.

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Only those who authorized should be prosecuted if guilty by an international court.

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • No one should be prosecuted by anyone even if guilty.

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters
From where I'm at, that makes them thoroughly your problem, not ours.
Rith is a little too politic to say it, so I will. If it's thoroughly our problem, then why do you insist on judging it? I believe, if the EU washes their hands of it, that's the point where they get the joyous option to STFU about it, yes? You have the right to remain silent and we strongly encourage y'all to exercise your rights, as it were?

That is definitely not welcoming, no. And kind of ridiculous as well--like I'm sure someone is going to say yes to the genocide question, for instance. I'm wondering if this is post 9/11 stuff or something perpetual rooted in our basic xenophobia?

The declaration has been there for years, the fingerprinting and biometric passports are new though.

I should also point out most federal job applications include phrases like "Have you or have you ever plotted to overthrow the U.S. government using violence?" or some such.

If you're talking about the ones from the 'black sites' or rendition, quite a few EU governments cooperated with that program - not that I agree with it.

That's a good point, and IMO the countries that did cooperate with it do share in the responsibility, and arguably have a moral responsibility to deal with the consequences.

If you're talking about people captured in Afghanistan (or possibly Iraq), they were captured in accordance with the law. Granted, a good deal of them just happened to be accused of being Taliban or al-Qaeda by tribal enemies (and we're trying to work through that, and have been relatively successful).

I didn't have in mind the POW's taken during the Afghanistan campaign. However, much of the post-invasion stuff there has had a very different character.

By the same token, why should we care if you have complaints with what we do? If you want to pull the "it's your problem, deal with it" card, then you have no standing to complain about what we decide doing when you could have lent assistance in finding a better outcome.

It's more the "I told you so" card. I resent that "we're the leader of the free world, so the free world must do as we say" attitude that's showing with you now. You don't have to care about our complaints if you want to go it alone, of course, but if you want our help or our cooperation, then you do have to care about them. You fucked up big-time, and you can't just assume by default that the rest of us will pick up the pieces just because you say so. You had the entire world right down to Iran helping out in Afghanistan post 9/11, and when we voiced some complaints about how you were doing stuff (e.g. Gitmo), you basically told us "we're America, so fuck off." So we did fuck off.

After that, you can't expect us to meekly do whatever you want to clean up your mess. If you want us to help, you're going to have to work for it. Obama has helped a lot, for sure, but that doesn't mean we'll automatically do everything he wants just because he can form complete sentences.

Then shouldn't the EU shut up about our treatment of them? We haven't let a good deal of the detainees go because if we return them to their home countries they'd be subjected to torture or death. Regardless, Bush isn't the President anymore, and Obama is making an effort to repair that bridge. If the Europeans want to turn their back and refuse to work with us now, under a much friendlier and more international regime, when our government is trying to retreat from the stupid "our way or the highway" BS of Dubya, then fine. We're trying to rectify the mistakes we made, but if the Euros want to be bitter about Bush then they don't have any room to pull the moral or ethical superiority card on us.

I've said this before: once Bush is in The Hague on trial for war crimes, *then* this argument will hold water. This will never happen, and I understand the political (and security) necessities that mean that most of the shit his folks did will be quietly swept under the rug in the name of "looking forward." But that's pragmatism, not genuine repentance for your sins. So, sorry, but I think we are still entitled to a bit of moral superiority.

Thinking about it in purely realist terms, where's the beef? How would it be in our national interest to take over those prisoners? We know what American "eternal gratitude" is worth -- we've seen what helping out in Afghanistan did for Iran or Russia, and what helping out in Iraq did for Georgia. You want us to help out with the Gitmo prisoners? Show us the money.

Obama did say please. Only the Portuguese budged. He received a lot of flak for it here in the states. I'd argue that the European efforts in Afghanistan are lukewarm, at best - as would the DOD, Canada, the UK, etc. I'm not denying there's a good deal of law enforcement or intelligence cooperation, but I'm arguing NATO shouldn't have gotten involved in Afghanistan if it wasn't willing to go into it for the long haul. Or we could just dissolve NATO since it's only purpose now is for the U.S. get pissed off at the ineffectiveness of the organization. There's a reason why (even under Gates) DOD has been issuing pretty sharp statements about our NATO allies' efforts in Afghanistan.

IMO the best solution would be for the US and Canada to exit the NATO, and the non-NATO EU countries to join it. This would make it the EU-plus defense organization that Europe totally lacks at this time.

After that, a new and looser alliance could be formed between the new NATO and any friendly non-European countries, perhaps patterned on the Partnership for Peace agreements.

With the USSR gone, Europe and the USA's strategic interests have diverged too much for an alliance that tight to be viable. (In fact, I think it'd be only barely viable even as a European club.) USA's exit would also spur Europe to make some much-needed military reforms; as it is, we're way too dependent on the American security umbrella, and have too few incentives to do anything about it.

(I think, though, that this would not be in the American national interest, which is why it won't happen until and unless the USA is much, much weaker than it remains.)

Rith is a little too politic to say it, so I will. If it's thoroughly our problem, then why do you insist on judging it? I believe, if the EU washes their hands of it, that's the point where they get the joyous option to STFU about it, yes? You have the right to remain silent and we strongly encourage y'all to exercise your rights, as it were?

Doesn't work like that, dte. It's your prerogative to ignore our complaints, but then it becomes your business to deal with the consequences.

You ignored our complaints when you set up Gitmo. The consequence is that we're not too keen to help you clean up the mess.

You can keep ignoring our complaints about not cleaning up the mess, but that will have consequences too -- we'll be less interested in helping you clean up other messes, or catching terrorists for that matter. We're serious about stuff like human rights, and if we get the feeling that you're a bunch of Jack Bauers, then we won't help. If that makes you less safe, well, tough.

I can agree with PJ's arguments regarding responsibility. And I think we have every right to speak up against issues such as Guantanamo (ad the US is likewise entitled to ignore it) whether we help or not.

However, a pragmatic approach is more productive in my eyes. "I told you so" is not. As far as I can see the Obama administration is much more interested in international cooperation, and we should follow up on that. And contribute to a satisfactory solution to the Guantanamo problem.

I can agree with PJ's arguments regarding responsibility. And I think we have every right to speak up against issues such as Guantanamo (ad the US is likewise entitled to ignore it) whether we help or not.

However, a pragmatic approach is more productive in my eyes. "I told you so" is not. As far as I can see the Obama administration is much more interested in international cooperation, and we should follow up on that. And contribute to a satisfactory solution to the Guantanamo problem.

Oh, I agree. I personally wouldn't mind putting up a few of 'em; an old lady just died on our building and there's a free flat there. What annoys me is the tone -- "since you're so high and mighty, why don't you take them on?" is one thing; "my predecessor screwed up big-time and while we recognize that it's our mess to clean up, we would really appreciate it if you could give us a hand here, and if there's something we can do for you in return just let us know" is another altogether.

Bluntly put, just a little bit of groveling is in order. Then we can be all magnanimous and help you out, while feeling nice and superior about it. Deal?

That's a good point, and IMO the countries that did cooperate with it do share in the responsibility, and arguably have a moral responsibility to deal with the consequences.

I didn't have in mind the POW's taken during the Afghanistan campaign. However, much of the post-invasion stuff there has had a very different character.
If we're talking solely about the rendition ones I agree a lot of shady things were done there, but I'd also argue some of them may have been necessary. I'd argue the ones we captured and then realized "oh fuck, these guys are innocent" should have been dropped somewhere nice with a few million dollars in cash for their troubles. And we should have filmed it (and their entire experience in our custody) so if they wanted to claim certain things about their treatment we could easily have proof against it. We all know the al-Qaeda field manual tells their guys to allege torture (not to say it doesn't happen), and right now it really is their word vs. the Pentagon's.

The ones we took in Afghanistan because some guys came to us and identified their enemies as Taliban and al-Qaeda were ...regrettable, but I don't think you/me/anyone can make a solid argument how that could have been prevented on a macro level.

It's more the "I told you so" card. I resent that "we're the leader of the free world, so the free world must do as we say" attitude that's showing with you now.You don't have to care about our complaints if you want to go it alone, of course, but if you want our help or our cooperation, then you do have to care about them. You fucked up big-time, and you can't just assume by default that the rest of us will pick up the pieces just because you say so. You had the entire world right down to Iran helping out in Afghanistan post 9/11, and when we voiced some complaints about how you were doing stuff (e.g. Gitmo), you basically told us "we're America, so fuck off." So we did fuck off.
I'm not going to defend the Bush administration's policies.

After that, you can't expect us to meekly do whatever you want to clean up your mess. If you want us to help, you're going to have to work for it. Obama has helped a lot, for sure, but that doesn't mean we'll automatically do everything he wants just because he can form complete sentences.
I don't know, I think the fact that Europe isn't speaking German or Russian and that we gave trillions to rebuild it should count for something. But then again that's probably just my arrogant American-isms rearing their thuggish head.

I've said this before: once Bush is in The Hague on trial for war crimes, *then* this argument will hold water. This will never happen, and I understand the political (and security) necessities that mean that most of the shit his folks did will be quietly swept under the rug in the name of "looking forward." But that's pragmatism, not genuine repentance for your sins. So, sorry, but I think we are still entitled to a bit of moral superiority.
What war crimes, out of curiosity?

Thinking about it in purely realist terms, where's the beef? How would it be in our national interest to take over those prisoners? We know what American "eternal gratitude" is worth -- we've seen what helping out in Afghanistan did for Iran or Russia, and what helping out in Iraq did for Georgia. You want us to help out with the Gitmo prisoners? Show us the money.
What, you want us to bribe you? How about we threaten to cut off any and all NATO expenditures and leave the organization? I'm pretty sure that'd send the NATO countries into a panic. I think the fact that Obama honestly wants to do things multilaterally is "the beef" as you put it. He's not going to buy you guys a fucking soccer stadium or an aircraft carrier. We already helped rebuild your damn countries (yes, not out of the goodness of our hearts). Why not do it as a gesture of good faith?

The act of cooperating on this issue could, you know, help repair the bridge between the two sides and lead to increased dialogue and restoration of our friendship. Obama wants to kiss and make up, why not meet him half way? If you want him to get on his knees and beg and plead you're not going to get it, and you are all but guaranteeing the next guy will make Bush look like the best diplomat in the universe. You've bashed the US for not accepting overtures from Iran post-9/11, so why wouldn't you accept American overtures after Obama's election? Why make our relationship more difficult instead of better?

IMO the best solution would be for the US and Canada to exit the NATO, and the non-NATO EU countries to join it. This would make it the EU-plus defense organization that Europe totally lacks at this time.

After that, a new and looser alliance could be formed between the new NATO and any friendly non-European countries, perhaps patterned on the Partnership for Peace agreements.
I agree with you. I also think that would put us in a much stronger bargaining position if Europe ever went through some massive war again. We wouldn't have treaty obligations requiring us to come to the rescue (again), so we could demand some pretty harsh concessions this time around. I'd take the Eastern Europeans with us though, since they seem more likely to play ball with us.

With the USSR gone, Europe and the USA's strategic interests have diverged too much for an alliance that tight to be viable. (In fact, I think it'd be only barely viable even as a European club.) USA's exit would also spur Europe to make some much-needed military reforms; as it is, we're way too dependent on the American security umbrella, and have too few incentives to do anything about it.

(I think, though, that this would not be in the American national interest, which is why it won't happen until and unless the USA is much, much weaker than it remains.)
I don't think it would affect us much, seeing the quality of aid we've received from NATO in Afghanistan. If you want to take offense to that, feel free, but Bush, Gates, Obama (implied, at least), and Canada have all bitched about this quite openly. I've also personally talked to Afghans who have told me that they'd rather have one American set of boots on the ground than 20 NATO guys.

I don't know, I think the fact that Europe isn't speaking German or Russian and that we gave trillions to rebuild it should count for something. But then again that's probably just my arrogant American-isms rearing their thuggish head.

Yeah, and all you got for that was a half-century of unchallenged hegemony. Bloody ingrates, Europeans!

IOW, it's about two generations now since WW2. You can't keep trying to guilt us out over that forever, any more than the French are trying to guilt you out over Lafayette. From where I'm at, that debt is paid -- with interest.

What war crimes, out of curiosity?

The same as Saddam's on Kuwait -- initiating a war of aggression on a sovereign United Nations member country.

What, you want us to bribe you? How about we threaten to cut off any and all NATO expenditures and leave the organization? I'm pretty sure that'd send the NATO countries into a panic.

As stated below, I think that would be the best thing you could do for Europe right about now. We're far too reliant on the American security umbrella, and with the NATO structures in place, we have no incentive to do anything about it. Yes, there probably would be panic, but that would force us to sit down and get our house in order, which would be better for us in the long run. Being weak members in an American-dominated NATO is not in the European interest.

I think the fact that Obama honestly wants to do things multilaterally is "the beef" as you put it. He's not going to buy you guys a fucking soccer stadium or an aircraft carrier. We already helped rebuild your damn countries (yes, not out of the goodness of our hearts). Why not do it as a gesture of good faith?

Once burned, twice shy. Russia, Georgia, and Iran made some pretty big gestures of good faith in your direction post-9/11. What did that net them?

Seriously, if Obama shows some movement on issues important to Europeans -- the International Criminal Court, greenhouse gases, stuff like that -- then, yes, it's likely we Europeans will be more collaborative on issues important to you. What you're asking now is a quid without a quo, and, as stated, pointing to World War 2 will net you a :rolleyes: these days.

The act of cooperating on this issue could, you know, help repair the bridge between the two sides and lead to increased dialogue and restoration of our friendship.

Since you screwed up that relationship, why should we be the ones to try to fix it?

Obama wants to kiss and make up, why not meet him half way? If you want him to get on his knees and beg and plead you're not going to get it, and you are all but guaranteeing the next guy will make Bush look like the best diplomat in the universe. You've bashed the US for not accepting overtures from Iran post-9/11, so why wouldn't you accept American overtures after Obama's election? Why make our relationship more difficult instead of better?

"Meeting him half way" is one thing. "Doing everything and anything he wants just because he asks" is another.

Taking on prisoners from Gitmo is politically costly for our countries as well -- more so than for the USA, since, as I've pointed out, we didn't make that mess. If you want our leaders to pay the political price for doing something like that, you're going to have to offer something more concrete than kind words.

Again, I'm all for improving trans-Atlantic relations. I'm not even opposed to taking on some Gitmo prisoners as a part of that process, but it has to go both ways -- it can't be just us unilaterally giving you what you want; you have to show that you're willing to listen to -- and act on -- our concerns as well. I wouldn't expect you to act any differently if the shoe was on the other foot.

I agree with you. I also think that would put us in a much stronger bargaining position if Europe ever went through some massive war again. We wouldn't have treaty obligations requiring us to come to the rescue (again), so we could demand some pretty harsh concessions this time around. I'd take the Eastern Europeans with us though, since they seem more likely to play ball with us.

The only reason for that is that they have a lot of residual fear of Russia. That's going to change, though, over time, as even they realize that Russia will not become the USSR again -- they don't have the demographic nor the economic underpinnings for that. In any case, Europe is the least likely theater for a massive war in any predictable future, so I'd be willing to take that risk. If that changes, we'll have time to prepare. (If we won't take that time, of course, then too bad for us.)

I don't think it would affect us much, seeing the quality of aid we've received from NATO in Afghanistan. If you want to take offense to that, feel free, but Bush, Gates, Obama (implied, at least), and Canada have all bitched about this quite openly. I've also personally talked to Afghans who have told me that they'd rather have one American set of boots on the ground than 20 NATO guys.

The NATO -- like the UN -- is a political force multiplier for the US. It's totally stacked in your favor. You're unquestionably dominant in both, and both organizations give your actions a lot more legitimacy, and in NATO's case, a good deal of practical assistance as well, despite what you say. Without these structures, you really would be going it alone -- and if there's one thing the last eight years should have taught you, it's that that greatly diminishes your power.

Second, you're omitting one crucial fact: the European NATO members are weak because NATO was designed that way. For obvious reasons, German tanks were only equipped with reverse gear. The Brits have their navy with its glorious tradition of "rum, sodomy, and the lash," as Churchill put it. The French... are the French. The Italians are... the Italians. The rest are either small, climbing out of the hole dug by the USSR (you didn't rescue *them,* by the way), or generally ineffective. And there's no unified foreign policy, security, or command structure on top -- because the NATO performs these functions.

One of the basic strategic ideas behind NATO is to keep Europe from developing an independent military capability of its own, to keep it safely in the American orbit. If you want a Europe that's militarily powerful enough to work with you as an equal partner, you'll get a Europe that's militarily assertive enough that it'll choose not to do that all the time. You can't have it both ways. Since 1945, you've chosen a weak but pliant Europe. I, personally, would prefer a stronger and more assertive Europe.

For example, look at it from my point of view: we Finns have some forces in Afghanistan, and we're not even a NATO country. Some of them have died. What, exactly, do we have to do with Afghanistan? All I'm getting from you is bitching about how worthless they are. It's not our fight to start with, so why should we even bother? Pure humanitarianism?

(In fact, if this was a strategy game purely based on geopolitical power, the smartest thing the US could do is apply for European Union membership -- you'd be unquestionably the dominant member of that particular bloc, which means that you would be able to marshal more than double the economic and political resources to your ends, with comparatively small losses to your own sovereignty -- although some of these losses would be highly symbolic.)

Last edited:
Why should we kiss your ass when it's not your problem?

Yeah, and all you got for that was a half-century of unchallenged hegemony. Bloody ingrates, Europeans!
The USSR was a pretty big challenge ...

IOW, it's about two generations now since WW2. You can't keep trying to guilt us out over that forever, any more than the French are trying to guilt you out over Lafayette. From where I'm at, that debt is paid -- with interest.
Fair enough, although it's not like we just gave you money and left. We did prevent the Russians from taking over Europe for 50 years as well.

The same as Saddam's on Kuwait -- initiating a war of aggression on a sovereign United Nations member country.
Fair enough, but the international law argument regarding the justification of the war goes both ways.

As stated below, I think that would be the best thing you could do for Europe right about now. We're far too reliant on the American security umbrella, and with the NATO structures in place, we have no incentive to do anything about it. Yes, there probably would be panic, but that would force us to sit down and get our house in order, which would be better for us in the long run.
I agree.

Once burned, twice shy. Russia, Georgia, and Iran made some pretty big gestures of good faith in your direction over the past several years. What did that net them?
What gestures from Russia?
We didn't invade Georgia, Russia did - and it wasn't the US who kept Georgia out of NATO. You can't pin that one on us.

Regarding Iran, I agree.

Seriously, if Obama shows some movement on issues important to Europeans -- the International Criminal Court, greenhouse gases, stuff like that -- then, yes, it's likely we Europeans will be more collaborative on issues important to you. What you're asking now is a quid without a quo, and, as stated, pointing to World War 2 will net you a :rolleyes: these days.
Well, we'll never join the ICC, Obama is obviously a green energy guy, etc.

Since you screwed up that relationship, why should we be the ones to try to fix it?
Because he's trying to increase multilateral action instead of flying solo. He's the one trying, but expecting him to grovel is stupid and counterproductive.

"Meeting him half way" is one thing. "Doing everything and anything he wants just because he asks" is another.

Taking on prisoners from Gitmo is politically costly for our countries as well -- more so than for the USA, since, as I've pointed out, we didn't make that mess. If you want our leaders to pay the political price for doing something like that, you're going to have to offer something more concrete than kind words.
Unless you're far more racist than my country I doubt it would be more politically costly for you. There would be riots or lynch mobs formed if we did this.

Again, I'm all for improving trans-Atlantic relations. I'm not even opposed to taking on some Gitmo prisoners as a part of that process, but it has to go both ways -- it can't be just us unilaterally giving you what you want; you have to show that you're willing to listen to -- and act on -- our concerns as well. I wouldn't expect you to act any differently if the shoe was on the other foot.
So him outlawing torture, announcing the closure of Gitmo, actually attempting some sort of reconciliation, and trying to release people held wrongly is not listening to or acting on your concerns? Fuck it, why don't we just execute everyone in Gitmo and save ourselves the trouble.

The only reason for that is that they have a lot of residual fear of Russia. That's going to change, though, over time, as even they realize that Russia will not become the USSR again -- they don't have the demographic nor the economic underpinnings for that. In any case, Europe is the least likely theater for a massive war in any predictable future, so I'd be willing to take that risk. If that changes, we'll have time to prepare. (If we won't take that time, of course, then too bad for us.)
Fair enough.

The NATO -- like the UN -- is a political force multiplier for the US. You're unquestionably dominant in both, and both organizations give your actions a lot more legitimacy, and in NATO's case, a good deal of practical assistance as well, despite what you say. Without these structures, you really would be going it alone -- and if there's one thing the last eight years should have taught you, it's that greatly diminishes your power.
I don't disagree with you, but I'm petulant and annoyed enough with the situation to be a little child and hurt myself just to give everyone else the bird.

For example, look at it from my point of view: we Finns have some forces in Afghanistan, and we're not even a NATO country. Some of them have died. What, exactly, do we have to do with Afghanistan? All I'm getting from you is bitching about how worthless they are. It's not our fight to start with, so why should we even bother? Pure humanitarianism?
No idea why you are there. And it's not just "from me". It's from the entire establishment. Why are my friends out there risking their lives day in and day out when the Euro governments have all these cushy caveats like "we won't go out after dark" and refuse to get their hands dirty? It's why Canada's leaving. It's not some random guy on a forum being pissed off about this.

(In fact, if this was a strategy game purely based on geopolitical power, the smartest thing the US could do is apply for European Union membership -- you'd be unquestionably the dominant member of that particular bloc, which means that you would be able to marshal more than double the economic and political resources to your ends, with comparatively small losses to your own sovereignty -- although some of these losses would be highly symbolic.)
I'm pretty sure the EU membership rules have some qualifier about being inside of Europe.

The USSR was a pretty big challenge ...

Yes, it was.

Fair enough, although it's not like we just gave you money and left. We did prevent the Russians from taking over Europe for 50 years as well.

You did your part, yes. But, believe it or not, it wasn't *only* you who did that.

What gestures from Russia?

Opening up a supply corridor to Afghanistan from the north, and allowing you to set up pretty huge bases in Uzbekistan for it. Putin took a huge political risk when allowing that -- the Russian establishment was dead set against it -- and he has not forgotten the way you turned right on him the minute you no longer needed his cooperation. It was the biggest political mistake of his career, and I'm fairly certain that Russia won't make a mistake like that again as long as he has anything to say about it.

We didn't invade Georgia, Russia did - and it wasn't the US who kept Georgia out of NATO. You can't pin that one on us.

That's not what I meant; I meant that you didn't give Georgia much assistance during the Russia/Georgia war either. (Not that you should have; it was a completely stupid war, and Saakashvili got what he deserved -- but the Georgians did expect more than stern condemnations and an airlift out of Baghdad for their trouble. The East European countries saw that too, and took notice -- I think they lost a lot of their illusions about how much you really appreciate their help in Iraq and elsewhere.)

Well, we'll never join the ICC, Obama is obviously a green energy guy, etc.

We'll see how it goes. If there is concrete action on issues that are important to Europeans, and especially if these issues are politically costly to Americans, then expect Europeans to do politically costly stuff for you. But if you're expecting us to do what you say just because you ask, you're expecting a lot. If Obama puts together a multilateral carbon cap-and-trade system and pushes it through the Senate, we will be appreciative, and you'll very likely find it easier to get us to do politically unpopular stuff.

Because he's trying to increase multilateral action instead of flying solo. He's the one trying, but expecting him to grovel is stupid and counterproductive.

He's asking something that's extremely unpopular. Any European leader who agrees to take on prisoners from Gitmo will have to explain to his constituents why. "As a goodwill gesture to America" won't cut it. There will have to be something better than that.

Unless you're far more racist than my country I doubt it would be more politically costly for you. There would be riots or lynch mobs formed if we did this.

Actually, we *are* more racist (I cannot imagine that we'd elect someone from an ethnic minority to be President in, oh, thirty years at least) -- but that's not the reason. The reason is that Gitmo is not a problem of our doing: Prime Minister Vanhanen would have a very hard time explaining exactly why he felt obligated to accept those prisoners.

So him outlawing torture, announcing the closure of Gitmo, actually attempting some sort of reconciliation, and trying to release people held wrongly is not listening to or acting on your concerns? Fuck it, why don't we just execute everyone in Gitmo and save ourselves the trouble.

You could do that. There would be consequences for that, though. Conversely, closing Gitmo and outlawing torture will have positive consequences -- for example, intelligence and counterterrorism cooperation will become a great deal easier.

I don't disagree with you, but I'm petulant and annoyed enough with the situation to be a little child and hurt myself just to give everyone else the bird.

That, actually, describes Bush foreign policy to a T. It hasn't worked out too well for you, though, and if you keep doing it, you won't be able to dig your way out of the hole you're in.

No idea why you are there. And it's not just "from me". It's from the entire establishment. Why are my friends out there risking their lives day in and day out when the Euro governments have all these cushy caveats like "we won't go out after dark" and refuse to get their hands dirty? It's why Canada's leaving. It's not some random guy on a forum being pissed off about this.

I've been saying all along that Afghanistan is a no-win. You did what you had to do; you should've gotten out years ago. I'm dead against us being there for the same reason. Nobody since Alexander the Great has succeeded in building a stable polity there, and I don't think you (we) will either, and IMO there's no use throwing good money (and lives) after bad.

I believe that that's the secret thinking in European headquarters as well, btw -- if they believe it's going to fail anyway, why bleed?

I'm pretty sure the EU membership rules have some qualifier about being inside of Europe.

You know, I don't think so -- and even if they did, the rules could always be modified. Hell, we could even rename it -- it's happened several times over already. I'd certainly be in favor of that modification; the EU should be an open club that anyone could join, as long as they meet a set of entrance criteria -- political, economic, legal, and humanitarian. (And no, IMO we shouldn't have let Romania and Bulgaria join yet.)

Why should we kiss your ass when it's not your problem?

What I'm trying to say here is real simple:

You want us to do something that's massively unpopular.

This something has to do with solving a problem that you have created, against our objections.

You expect us to do this purely as a goodwill gesture, with nothing given to us in return -- not even a little smooch on the posterior.

That's no more reasonable than us expecting that you'd join the International Criminal Court just because we'd like you to.

You did your part, yes. But, believe it or not, it wasn't *only* you who did that.
No, but we were the lion's share.

Opening up a supply corridor to Afghanistan from the north, and allowing you to set up pretty huge bases in Uzbekistan for it. Putin took a huge political risk when allowing that -- the Russian establishment was dead set against it -- and he has not forgotten the way you turned right on him the minute you no longer needed his cooperation. It was the biggest political mistake of his career, and I'm fairly certain that Russia won't make a mistake like that again as long as he has anything to say about it.
Ah. Well, once again, Bush was an idiot.

That's not what I meant; I meant that you didn't give Georgia much assistance during the Russia/Georgia war either. (Not that you should have; it was a completely stupid war, and Saakashvili got what he deserved -- but the Georgians did expect more than stern condemnations and an airlift out of Baghdad for their trouble. The East European countries saw that too, and took notice -- I think they lost a lot of their illusions about how much you really appreciate their help in Iraq and elsewhere.)
Fair enough.

We'll see how it goes. If there is concrete action on issues that are important to Europeans, and especially if these issues are politically costly to Americans, then expect Europeans to do politically costly stuff for you. But if you're expecting us to do what you say just because you ask, you're expecting a lot. If Obama puts together a multilateral carbon cap-and-trade system and pushes it through the Senate, we will be appreciative, and you'll very likely find it easier to get us to do politically unpopular stuff.
Obama's already taking flak from both sides of the aisle for most of these decisions.

He's asking something that's extremely unpopular. Any European leader who agrees to take on prisoners from Gitmo will have to explain to his constituents why. "As a goodwill gesture to America" won't cut it. There will have to be something better than that.
The same could be said of expecting us to join the ICC, or international greenhouse plans.

Actually, we *are* more racist (I cannot imagine that we'd elect someone from an ethnic minority to be President in, oh, thirty years at least) -- but that's not the reason. The reason is that Gitmo is not a problem of our doing: Prime Minister Vanhanen would have a very hard time explaining exactly why he felt obligated to accept those prisoners.
Fair enough.

You could do that. There would be consequences for that, though. Conversely, closing Gitmo and outlawing torture will have positive consequences -- for example, intelligence and counterterrorism cooperation will become a great deal easier.
I was being facetious, obviously.:p But yes, I know there will be bonuses for us doing what we are doing. My point is, you guys are yelling at us to close Gitmo (which even Bush wanted to do) and let the innocent people go. We're trying to figure out what to do with them, while the Euros seem to be whining that we're not doing it fast enough. Well, I'd say either lend a hand or Europe can kindly help itself to a nice warm bowl of STFU while we figure it out. Give us credit for deciding we want to do it and quit bitching at us that we're taking a while to do it.

That, actually, describes Bush foreign policy to a T. It hasn't worked out too well for you, though, and if you keep doing it, you won't be able to dig your way out of the hole you're in.
I agree, and you know me well enough to know it's me just being angry over this issue and given any sort of power I'd put on my diplomatic face and grin and bear it for the sake of the greater good.

I've been saying all along that Afghanistan is a no-win. You did what you had to do; you should've gotten out years ago. I'm dead against us being there for the same reason. Nobody since Alexander the Great has succeeded in building a stable polity there, and I don't think you (we) will either, and IMO there's no use throwing good money (and lives) after bad.

I believe that that's the secret thinking in European headquarters as well, btw -- if they believe it's going to fail anyway, why bleed?
I don't think failure is inevitable. I could care less about them having a Democracy, I want them to have a reasonably stable government that won't harbor al-Qaeda. That is doable, and that is the current mission plan.

You know, I don't think so -- and even if they did, the rules could always be modified. Hell, we could even rename it -- it's happened several times over already. I'd certainly be in favor of that modification; the EU should be an open club that anyone could join, as long as they meet a set of entrance criteria -- political, economic, legal, and humanitarian. (And no, IMO we shouldn't have let Romania and Bulgaria join yet.)
I'm not opposed to that, and IMO it would be a great way to create a LEAGUE OF DEMOCRACY! that would allow all of us nations that more or less get along and don't murder our own people to put giant pressure on our not-so-friendly dictatorial neighbors.

The same could be said of expecting us to join the ICC, or international greenhouse plans.

Which is why I don't expect you to join the ICC -- at least not without some pretty huge quo for that particular quid. The greenhouse plans, OTOH, are a different matter -- the way I see it, the major arm-twisting is going to be with China. In that arm-twist, you can either side with China (and torpedo the whole thing), or with us. If you side with us, we will together be able to get a better result for both of us from China than either of us would alone.

I was being facetious, obviously.:p But yes, I know there will be bonuses for us doing what we are doing. My point is, you guys are yelling at us to close Gitmo (which even Bush wanted to do) and let the innocent people go. We're trying to figure out what to do with them, while the Euros seem to be whining that we're not doing it fast enough. Well, I'd say either lend a hand or Europe can kindly help itself to a nice warm bowl of STFU while we figure it out. Give us credit for deciding we want to do it and quit bitching at us that we're taking a while to do it.

Actually, I haven't seen a whole lot of whining by Europeans to that effect. We realize that these things take time, and that it's not going to be as simple as closing it up and putting everybody on a plane to Yemen or Kabul or wherever. Is there any particular whining you have in mind? FWIW, I think you're doing fine so far.

I don't think failure is inevitable. I could care less about them having a Democracy, I want them to have a reasonably stable government that won't harbor al-Qaeda. That is doable, and that is the current mission plan.

As stated, I remain skeptical about that point.

I'm not opposed to that, and IMO it would be a great way to create a LEAGUE OF DEMOCRACY! that would allow all of us nations that more or less get along and don't murder our own people to put giant pressure on our not-so-friendly dictatorial neighbors.

The real big thing about the EU -- and one that not all that many people seem to notice -- is that it really has a great deal of soft power. It doesn't actually have to *do* much; it has a big stabilizing effect on its surroundings simply by virtue of being there. We like to bitch about the bureaucrats in Brussels, but so far nobody's actually decided to leave -- and most countries on our borders seem pretty keen to join. (Other than Russia, which is Russia, and Norway, which has oil, fjords, cod, and a princess who gives lessons on how to talk with angels.) It's a rather a different sort of power than traditional great powers exert, but it's real nevertheless. A real "league of democracies" could work that way.

A militarily muscular democracy, such as the US, could fit into that picture quite well -- it'd make for a much more effective good-cop/bad-cop system than what we have now. The cost would be that the militarily muscular power would see its freedom of action circumscribed somewhat; the benefit would be that the effectiveness of the action would be greatly enhanced. IMO the strategic trade-off would be worth it.

I don't think that's a very likely outcome either, though, any more than the alternative -- the US pulling out of the NATO, forcing Europe to get its act together and become more of a playah on the world stage.

Which is why I don't expect you to join the ICC -- at least not without some pretty huge quo for that particular quid. The greenhouse plans, OTOH, are a different matter -- the way I see it, the major arm-twisting is going to be with China. In that arm-twist, you can either side with China (and torpedo the whole thing), or with us. If you side with us, we will together be able to get a better result for both of us from China than either of us would alone.
Right - the reason we didn't join Kyoto was because we believed it let China and India and the 3rd world do as much as they want why hobbling us economically, right?

Actually, I haven't seen a whole lot of whining by Europeans to that effect. We realize that these things take time, and that it's not going to be as simple as closing it up and putting everybody on a plane to Yemen or Kabul or wherever. Is there any particular whining you have in mind? FWIW, I think you're doing fine so far.
I'm pre-emptively complaining! Since the Dems decided to torpedo the funding for the closing of Gitmo and we're four months into his administration with eight months to go until his deadline and so far our plan for closing Gitmo is:
1) Announce the closure
2) ???
3) Profit!

The real big thing about the EU -- and one that not all that many people seem to notice -- is that it really has a great deal of soft power. It doesn't actually have to *do* much; it has a big stabilizing effect on its surroundings simply by virtue of being there. We like to bitch about the bureaucrats in Brussels, but so far nobody's actually decided to leave -- and most countries on our borders seem pretty keen to join. (Other than Russia, which is Russia, and Norway, which has oil, fjords, cod, and a princess who gives lessons on how to talk with angels.) It's a rather a different sort of power than traditional great powers exert, but it's real nevertheless. A real "league of democracies" could work that way.

A militarily muscular democracy, such as the US, could fit into that picture quite well -- it'd make for a much more effective good-cop/bad-cop system than what we have now. The cost would be that the militarily muscular power would see its freedom of action circumscribed somewhat; the benefit would be that the effectiveness of the action would be greatly enhanced. IMO the strategic trade-off would be worth it.

I don't think that's a very likely outcome either, though, any more than the alternative -- the US pulling out of the NATO, forcing Europe to get its act together and become more of a playah on the world stage.
I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to some sort of expanded-EU=League of Democracies thing ... necessarily, but I think Americans especially will be hostile to it since we'd be smacking another layer of bureaucracy on our already stupid system. We also like our sovereignty and are unlikely to give it up.

I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to some sort of expanded-EU=League of Democracies thing ... necessarily, but I think Americans especially will be hostile to it since we'd be smacking another layer of bureaucracy on our already stupid system. We also like our sovereignty and are unlikely to give it up.

I think the second point is the more important one. Then again, the Brits were just as touchy about their sovereignty, if not more so, and they eventually joined. Even if they sort of pretend to themselves that they didn't *really* join, what with having retained their rapidly depreciating pound sterling and stuff.

I think the second point is the more important one. Then again, the Brits were just as touchy about their sovereignty, if not more so, and they eventually joined. Even if they sort of pretend to themselves that they didn't *really* join, what with having retained their rapidly depreciating pound sterling and stuff.

Granted - I think convincing Americans to give up absolute control over their country will be near impossible to do. I think that if/when China is running the show like we do now, then you might see America willing to partner up with the Europeans to create an alternative and not get crushed underneath China's boot heel, but that's a few decades off.

How about you two become negotiators for the US and the EU. Who knows, we might actually get somewhere!! :)

Hey, I'd be all for it. I think we would easily be able to come to a common accord. And if negotiations got too heated, we'd go grab a beer and go talk about what videogames are the best!

...at the very least, I'm sure we'd issue the best public statement ever saying Bush was a jerk and that Deus Ex is "totally sweet". We could even give it a cool name too! Like ... uh... "Joint Statement Expressing Disdain for the policies of former President George W. Bush and Support for the Total Sweetness and Excellence of Deus Ex."

Back
Top Bottom