Pillars of Eternity - Two Major Bugs Reported

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Thanks to a new member by the name of Toadster it has been brought to my attention that everyone should know of a few bugs if you intend to play Pillars of Eternity.

The first bug can is caused by stat bonus modifiers that can be applied multiple times.
The first bug happens when you save and load a game in an area where you picked up a follower. If said follower is having any bonus to stats from whatever (eg. a magic ring) these bonuses will stack an become permanent every time you load that savegame. Eg. if you put a +50 enducance ring on Eder and save and load in Gilded Vale this bonus will become permanent, and it will stack as many times as you save/lad in this area. Eder can become pretty invincible from this. The same happens to other followers in the areas where they are picked up. This bug is probably the reason why many people find the game too easy, even on "Hard".
Luckily a Reddit poster found a work around to make a bug-fix.
Hi guys,if you were hit by this game breaking bug and really want to fix it without waiting for the patch, there's hope!

The Fix requires some runtime memory editing of the game, but with right tools it's really quite easy. If you are not sure if the bug applies to you, scroll down to section "Does it bug me?".

Word of caution: You'll be given a great power to manipulate all the Statistics of any Player Character in the game. I recommend only using this technique to repair, not further break the game. Making an overpowered character can seem to be fun - but really what it does is ruin the intended game experience and make Josh sad. Without further ado, I'll walk you right through it.
The second bug strips away all passive bonuses.
The second bug strips away any passive bonuses when you double-click to move around inventory. You can fix it for the followers by dismissing and take them back in an inn/stronghold, but you can't fix it for the PC.
And Toadster finished his reply with the following warning.
As mentioned, you will not notice these bugs if you don't pay close attention to the stats. And chances are that they will change your experience with the game significantly.
Hopefully the first patch from Obsidian will officially fix both bugs.

More information.

The first bug mentioned would technically be seen as a boon by many, many players and hidden from the devs so they don't fix the exploit if this was a MMO.

I find it super amusing that people in here call it "gamebreaking".

borcanu, why wait? I have yet to see a game that has absolutely no bug on the release. A proper game, not Flappy Bird, Candy Crush or Farmville avoidware.

Eternity, so far, has less total number of bugs than some other recently released games. At least from what I've seen. No reason to wait for anything unless you're currently on some other game like me and you don't want to install Eternity till you finish that other game.

azarhal, calling game broken and certain irrelevant bugs as gamebreakers came from inferior hardware.
Don't forget, while we on PC can use mods, a console and hex editor to fix variables in a broken savegame, inferior hardware audience cannot do anything when a bug occurs and to them, each one is a disaster. Such players, when moved from inferior hardware to PC, are not aware that on PC, some bugs while looking bad, are still not gamebreakers.

These bugs are not "gamebreaking", but they are definately "gamechanging".

Eder can become pretty invincible from this.
Great, now we will see more videos from 'skilled' people who defeat a dragon in the hardest difficulty setting under 10 seconds.

Bugs in a major RPG upon release, that's unprecedented!

This is an Obsidian game. Considering the scope of PoE - we're lucky the game hasn't exploded our computers yet :)

These bugs sound pretty serious, though. I love that some people are so enthralled by the game that they can't see how creating invincible party members can be considered gamebreaking.

Blackcanopus, actually someone reported this on the Obsidan forum:
"Durance is with 4597% more damage! I killed Adra Dragon with 1 hit."

Blackcanopus, actually someone reported this on the Obsidan forum:
"Durance is with 4597% more damage! I killed Adra Dragon with 1 hit."

And to achieve that you need to purposely save in Magran's Fork, a map where you don't really have any reason to save in multiple times might I add.

That's why I said it wasn't gamebreaking, people are just going to exploit the hell out of it for fun. Also, you can easily avoid it by not saving on the maps where you recruit companions.

SPOILER

There is another pretty common bug in the optional fight with Lord Raedric. Unless you kill the two guards outside of the throne room first and then be sure to kill Raedric while in the throne area, the quest doesn't get marked as complete. You can avoid the bug by taking Raedric's side and killing the other dude. I killed Raedric without even talking to him and it bugged my game. I'll probably roll back and go do other quests until they fix this.

As a general rule, I ALWAYS wait until a few patches are released in order to have a better experience.

But seeing this game's incedibly positive reception, for which I am really happy for Obsidian, I just hope they hurry up with these patches :).

And to achieve that you need to purposely save in Magran's Fork, a map where you don't really have any reason to save in multiple times might I add.

That's why I said it wasn't gamebreaking, people are just going to exploit the hell out of it for fun. Also, you can easily avoid it by not saving on the maps where you recruit companions.

Well, in the Obsidian forum people are reporting all sorts of stat-enhancement from this bug that they did not do on purpose. I had a pretty mild case of the bug as my Durance had a permanent fortitude bonus of 30 (instead of the 10 he's supposed to have) and some reflex and other smaller bonuses from an amulet. which was just from saving/loadin twice in Magrans Fork (I died once i combat and later ended and started up a play session in that area). Point being: it's not "gamebreaking" but you can pretty easily end up with significant bonuses that changes the game for you.

He forgot to mention when that patch is coming :D
It should be this week according to Darren Monahan on Obsidian's support FAQ.
"Yes, we're currently working on patch 1.03, which we hope to release during the week of March 30. We are actively monitoring the Technical Support forum and pulling issues out into our internal bug database." If you're having any issues, both those links should sort you out, or at least let you know that you're not alone.

As a general rule, I ALWAYS wait until a few patches are released in order to have a better experience.

But seeing this game's incedibly positive reception, for which I am really happy for Obsidian, I just hope they hurry up with these patches :).

Normally I wait, but I gave it a brief trial run and it was just too enjoyable to stop. I've run into 3-4 minor bugs, but nothing that made me want to stop.

I ran into a major bug and I still don't want to stop :)

Thanks everyone for playtesting! Will play the game in a few months.

I killed Raedric without even talking to him and it bugged my game. I'll probably roll back and go do other quests until they fix this.

How did you kill Raedric without talking to him? He (and his bodyguards) aren't hostile when you enter the throne room!

Back
Top Bottom