What games are you playing now?

I liked Corvo more, but it doesn't mean I didn't like Daud.
Both rock, except... I have a soft spot for mutes.

Shadowrun Dragonfall - Directors Cut
enjoying it as cant play many games as left arm out of commission after contributing to orthopedic surgeons new Porsche fund. S Witcher 3 and any thing with WASD or similar is no go.

After recently finishing Aliens: Colonial Marines, I decided to give Aliens vs Predator a try. I remember trying it briefly back when it was released and being underwhelmed.

I'm only about an hour in, but so far it's just as mediocre as I remember. Not sure how long I'll persevere, as I'm not going to force myself to finish another crappy shooter after playing A:CM.

I recently finished Lords of Xulima, and now I'm playing Paper Sorcerer. It does not have a map (or minimap) feature, but its levels aren't that big, so no problem here. I am really enjoying it!

I had a good time with Paper Sorcerer too, Henrique. A new shiny came along and I stopped my game, but I played the first 3 chapters. Being trapped in a grimoire was kind of a neat twist.

Negatives
- Other players. Looting containers before you can get to them. Killing your targets, imagining they are helping. Swarming around quest NPCs, dungeons, totally ruining the immersion. Crowded around workstations, banks, merchants. Jumping around frantically. Walking aorund half naked. Messaging you "isn't this great?" Wacking you with their swords. Running or galloping right through you. Featuring obnoxious atmosphere killing names.

This will keep me away from it. If they ever have a way to play it where you can't see anyone else at all, I'll play. Till then...ugh!

I'm playing a few games and I have a few others on temporary hold.

Actively playing:

Oblivion. Heavily modded, including Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, which changes the game completely and makes it more akin to a Gothic game with hand-placed encounter design and less or no level-scaling. Pretty fun so far. Definitely an immersive Elder Scrolls game and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Elminage Gothic. Great game. I've played for over 35 hours in my current playthrough and I'm still only half-way through the game or so. Immersive, challenging, brutal at times dungeon-crawler that is very addictive and interesting. Highly recommended for old-school dungeon-crawl fans.

Project: Gorgon. Very unique and interesting MMO. Check the video preview I made on my YouTube channel to get an idea of what the game is about. It's a large world with a ton of skills and incredible exploration and discovery with no hand-holding. Worth a look, for sure.

On hold:

Neverwinter Nights. Playing through Saleron's Gambit mod and having a lot of fun, but I've just been busy with other games so I couldn't finish the mod. I am in chapter 4 of 5, so I should be able to complete it.

Temple of Elemental Evil. Very good party-based, turn-based RPG. I am in the temple itself and I have put it on hold momentarily as I play through other games. I will return to it, for sure, and explore more of the temple, which I find to be a very interesting place. It seems like a place that could really exist, and that's what I like about it. It's plausible and very consistent.

That's it for now. I won't be starting anything new until I finish some of these up, I think. =)

Whittled things down to just these:

[Mac] KotOR 2: The Sith Lords - loving this replay ... first time really concentrating on a focused replay of KotOR 2 in ... well, over a decade.

[PC] Neverwinter Nights - I also let this one slip out of my 'rotation', but so glad to be back into it, I have always loved this game and all of the D&D mechanics and so on.

[iPad] Legend of Grimrock - yeah, once I grabbed the iPad Air 2 (again) I bought this - it works pretty well on the tablet to be honest. I enjoyed the game on PC/Mac ... and enjoying this now.

[PS Vita] Killzone Mercenary - since I had a good run of shooters on the PC recently (Jedi Knight 1 & 2, Medal of Honor Allied Assault, bits of Quake and Unreal, Half-Life 2, FEAR, Far Cry and Crysis) ... I still am enjoying just some 'shooting stuff' ... and this works well enough for that.

Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Negatives
- Other players. Looting containers before you can get to them. Killing your targets, imagining they are helping. Swarming around quest NPCs, dungeons, totally ruining the immersion. Crowded around workstations, banks, merchants. Jumping around frantically. Walking aorund half naked. Messaging you "isn't this great?" Wacking you with their swords. Running or galloping right through you. Featuring obnoxious atmosphere killing names.

This will keep me away from it. If they ever have a way to play it where you can't see anyone else at all, I'll play. Till then…ugh!

This, this and this. It's honestly the only thing keeping me from playing MMO's, I can't stand it.

I enjoyed neverwinter for the first instanced dungeon and then I was dropped in to a town with everyone else and the enjoyment was gone.

Ok, still playing Elder Scrolls Online. Whoever told us about the sale, and recommended it needs a little talking to, backyard, in the shed, restraints included. ;)

Despite its shallowness and annoying people, I'm addicted. This is why I never played an MMO before. The small incremental character gains plus the exploration hooks me.

A tried a group dungeon/area on my own a few times. One I could clear with little trouble. The second I got wiped twice by 3 necromancers and their summons. The third I got lucky with another group showing up at the same time. I've also participated in a few unplanned group anchor events. Not sure when I should loot or share afterwards with these things.

Last edited:
Why do people play MMO's then, if most people you find there don't exactly fall into humanity's best and brightest category?
Just curious...I've never played one actually.

Certainly not the best and brightest, but I'll bet there are a few people worth hooking up with. That's been my general experience with online gaming, and I'll bet it extends to ESO. You can tell by the way they handle their characters in a roleplaying and non-obnoxious manner.

In any case, that wasn't the draw for me. The draw for me was the Elder Scrolls universe, and being able to explore areas not recently available (Arena doesn't count). Exploring Summerset isles and the Aldmeri dominion now (a little bit of Elsweyr and Valenwood).

Last edited:
A tried a group dungeon/area on my own a few times. One I could clear with little trouble. The second I got wiped twice by 3 necromancers and their summons. The third I got lucky with another group showing up at the same time. I've also participated in few unplanned group anchor events. Not sure when I should loot or share afterwards with these things.

I think loot is allocated to you. At my unplanned anchor events the chest always stays closed for me even after other people stand next to it and run off. The loot's never been very good, and wouldn't really share very well in any case.

Anyway, running around in Tamriel is making me want to play a real Elder Scrolls game, so I've started playing Morrowind again. I've also reinstalled Daggerfall and been fiddling with the settings to get it comfortable to play, but time will tell if I can get past the interface to get into it again. It's such a deep world if you can stick with it.

Yeah, that was my guess, since no ahole fast looted anything from the anchor drops. The loot was pretty mediocre, so I wouldn't be surprised if it were otherwise. :)

Why do people play MMO's then, if most people you find there don't exactly fall into humanity's best and brightest category?
Just curious…I've never played one actually.

I first met some of my current real life friends in Everquest 2. We don't consider ourselves to be the best or brightest however we are decent folks to hang out with!

Anyway my point is that not everyone who plays MMO are doorling idiots. About 70% of the people whom I came across in early EQ2 (around 2005 mark) were fairly decent and competent folks. However MMO have gotten “easier” in recent times which means anyone can play and progress in them. I don’t really have much problems with that but these MMO don’t really have proper mechanism to filter good from the bad so people are increasing to averse to other players.
)

I think loot is allocated to you. At my unplanned anchor events the chest always stays closed for me even after other people stand next to it and run off. The loot's never been very good, and wouldn't really share very well in any case.

Anyway, running around in Tamriel is making me want to play a real Elder Scrolls game, so I've started playing Morrowind again. I've also reinstalled Daggerfall and been fiddling with the settings to get it comfortable to play, but time will tell if I can get past the interface to get into it again. It's such a deep world if you can stick with it.

With a bit of tinkering you can swap keys around in the dosbox config so that you can play Daggerfall using WASD to move around. Fun part then is to remember where you assigned the ADSW keys when you need them :D

Edit - doh, I'm thinking of Arena, nvm I'll get me coat.

-kaos

Just curious…I've never played one actually.

It's not like that at all. Most people you find are actually cool and nice, but they don't make the news. It's the troll ones that get public. When I played MMOs I played 'pickup groups' (you just announce you want a group and you'll join random people) and I can say about 60% of the groups I joined were the silent type, they were just interested in completing their goals. 30% were actually great, with fun people that were in more for the fun than for the goals. And yes, there was the 10% that had 'bad' people (either attention whores, or loot whores, or just annoying).

Back
Top Bottom