Fallout 3 - Ultimate GOTY

woges

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Nominated with Call of Duty World at War, Left 4 Dead, Grand Theft Auto IV and Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots; Fallout 3 takes Ultimate GOTY award from the Golden Joystick awards in London.
This is the award every publisher wants to win, the Ultimate Game The Year award. If you pick this one up, you've made a really good game. In the nominations were giants such as Fallout 3, Call of Duty World at War, Left 4 Dead, Grand Theft Auto, IV and Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. See - them's some big guns.But there can be only one. And the golden gong went to... Fallout 3 and Bethesda.
More information.

/facepalm

10charlimit

Oh no! Good game is popular! Sky is falling! Rpgs are domed!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111111

I actually enjoyed it quite a lot. However, the year is not over, how can GOTY awards be awarded already? Dragon Age: Origins should clearly be a big candidate for such awards.

Comparing these titles to Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is like comparing The Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift with Lord of the Rings.

Fallout 3 is a good game. I don't consider it a hardcore RPG, but it has good quest design and a decent character system.

Main complaints were that the slo-mo VATS thing got tiresome after a while, and the ending was stupid. But they fixed the ending, and modders fixed the other thing. I haven't played many other games from the period this is for, so I don't really have any argument with this. I got a lot of hours of fun out of F3.

I suppose my other issue with it would be that it was a bit of a post-apoc theme park, but that's really an issue of taste rather than a clear flaw with the game.

Excellent. Well-deserved. I know some people look down their noses at it, but I thought it was a fantastic game.

Maybe it's given for the period between last October and this October?
I guess - but that sure is a strange time to make a cut-off. Why not go from July to July if you're going to do that? (Yeah yeah, I know why - because this is all about being the FIRST in the crowd to hand out your game of the year award.)

BTW, look for lots of "game of the decade" awards to start coming out.

That's a little surprising. How long has it been since an RPG won a GOTY...any GOTY? It normally goes to the twitch games. I'm glad an rpg finally won one of these silly things.

I also enjoyed playing the game. I never did complete it because of that stupid max level 20 restriction. They need to never do that again. It takes the whole point of playing away from the gamer. Let's face it the story was laughable and once you took out the incentive to better your character, there really wasn't much left to do.

I know they upped the level in Point Outlook, but after the first two DLCs I just didn't have it in me to get another.

They raised the level cap in the broken steel dlc, not point lookout, and honestly it didn't make any real difference, maximum skill level is still 100 and unless you wasted your points on skills you didn't use then by lv20 you'd already have maxed out most skills and stats.

Why would a max level cap of 20 be stupid and 30 be ok anyway?

"It takes the whole point of playing away from the gamer." You play fallout3 so you can get bigger numbers on your charsheet?

That's a little surprising. How long has it been since an RPG won a GOTY…any GOTY?

Sorry what? Both Oblivion and Fallout 3 stacked up GotYs like nobody's business. Fairly sure quite a few other of the more action-oriented RPGs, like Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect, also did as much.

Hmm, I thought they made RPG of the year, but game of the year? I don't normally pay too much attention to these awards. Sorta silly, imo, trying to break down THE best game out of all kinds of genres.

Thanks for the correction Brother None.

If I remember right Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion all had game of the year awards and Fallout 3 has had other game of the year awards already.

I have only played Fallout 3 from that list but isn't all of those games from last year which would mean this is a game of the year award for last year.

Haven't played the others but I am still playing Fallout 3, and sometimes Oblivion too. I am always amazed when someone heaps hate on them, and always tickled to see so many others agree with my love for these games. I too was struck silly when I only had the main game without the DLC's and DIED on the main quest with the game ending! LOL I still don't understand that, but Broken Steel was excellent and fixed it for me. And having a world game editor, with so many shared mods, is just icing on the cake. Thanks Bethesda! ps, get rid of the Microsoft download for DLC's it's a ripoff and works poorly.. /sigh

,,,Why not go from July to July if you're going to do that? …

I think they should go for a August 13 to August 7.

BTW: I think a low level cap is just fine. It is, in an RPG and in my opinion, important that you can maximize a limited set of stats. Selecting one line of advancements should cost, otherwise it's not roleplaying but powergaming (as is always seeking the best skills to advance). IMO of course.

Hmm, I thought they made RPG of the year, but game of the year? I don't normally pay too much attention to these awards. Sorta silly, imo, trying to break down THE best game out of all kinds of genres.

I find them somewhat silly too, especially since there are so many of them and few of them are that interesting. I'd need either expert opinion or mass fan voting like Joystiq does to back it up for me to consider the list worthwhile, right now we just have stacks of randomly typed out GotY awards.

But it is interesting for RPG-afficianados that RPGs, in fact, do really well on these GotY picks. It's not a big positive to since I just consider it further propping up of a misguided direction of the genre, but if you have no issues with it, there's certainly good signs in GotY awardage. Check out GotY picks blog's tally; Star Wars: KotOR, Oblivion and Fallout 3 all won the most GotY awards in their relative years. Even BioShock joins that rank of RPG-esques winning GotYs.

Back
Top Bottom