The "I Just Bought" thread

I remember playing arcade games like Robotron that would easily have moved a cabinet off the table, through the air, and into the wall across the room. :p That was TWO joysticks though...

Wasted some holiday money on a Canon G12 compact camera to carry around on my bike. Hopefully it'll result in a few more pictures than my old bulky camera.

Incidentally, worth a try here :), any good biking trails in northern denmark to recommend?

Yay, I just bought something!

Hehe. Hubby and kid will have to live on water and dried fish for the next few months, but I finally gave in to one of my darker desires and bought

THIS: Yes, I actually spent the money.

Why did I do this?
1) Because I'm mean.
2) Because I can.
3) Because I wanted to.
4) Because I couldn't resist his charms.
5) Because there's still some space on the video shelf.
6) Because with the green outfit and red hair, he perfectly complements the other two on the shelf.
7) Because he comes with two heads, and it's always nice to have some spares … especially in this case, mind you. To play this for full effect, I'll probably have to make a Yoda sock puppet, though.

Last edited:
So... You can play ball(s) with it's spare head? :D

Yup. Just that.

I guess the spare would have come in handy on Kashyyyk…

=Finally unpacked!=

Attachments

• vic2.jpg
    vic2.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 77
Yup. Just that.

I guess the spare would have come in handy on Kashyyyk…

=Finally unpacked!=

I would have been over the moon if I had something like this when I was young. Many of the common available models in my time had limited movement/degrees of freedom which I could not do much with. What you have is impressive.

I recently bought my son one of the large Hero Factory models and I was taken by surprise by how flexible and well designed these models were. You can even combine two different models to create one giant beast. I (sorry my son :roll:) was very impressed with it and keep staring and admiring the engineering of such models for many tens of minutes.

I still have most of the Star Wars AFs I got when I was 11... compared to the newer Hasbro 3.5 inches figures, the old ones are pretty pathetic: sturdy, yet hardly any articulation, and the paint jobs are rather primitive. The older Hasbro 12" AFs are better in both regards, but still no comparison to the Sideshow ones (on this shelf they come next to the Sideshow boys, so the difference is glaring). But then again, the Sideshow 1/6th scale figures are 4 or 5x as expensive.

Oh, the Hero Factory legos are great :). Sonny has two, a smaller and a bigger one, but it took him years to actually want one when I would have bought them right from the start.
I had some of the smaller bionicles which I gave to my nephew and son some time ago.

Finally got myself one of these. For now I call it Jeeves.
roomba.jpg

Fine for you! :D Sonny named ours 'Putzi'.

What are your experiences with those things?

After using it for a day;
* My scarcely furnitured bedroom and kitchen have very clean floors now. There was cakes of dust here and there when I started it but after a few runs, both rooms (with medium size) are pretty clean
* I need to keep the bathroom door closer because while it can get in, it cant get out
* My apartment is shaped in a U-turn. Having the droid in the furthest northwest make it unlikely to reach the furthest northeast right now.
* The livingroom is too complicated. Too much stuff on the floor and it won't do carpets well. Will need to rearrange the furniture and I am fine with throwing out the carpets (which I planned for awhile). Note that I have an unusually occupied livingroom so it's not normal conditions for a machine like this.
* Making room for the droid automatically cause me to think more about what i put on the floor, as a result the apartment looks more tidy.

After using it for a day;
* My scarcely furnitured bedroom and kitchen have very clean floors now. There was cakes of dust here and there when I started it but after a few runs, both rooms (with medium size) are pretty clean
* I need to keep the bathroom door closer because while it can get in, it cant get out
* My apartment is shaped in a U-turn. Having the droid in the furthest northwest make it unlikely to reach the furthest northeast right now.
* The livingroom is too complicated. Too much stuff on the floor and it won't do carpets well. Will need to rearrange the furniture and I am fine with throwing out the carpets (which I planned for awhile). Note that I have an unusually occupied livingroom so it's not normal conditions for a machine like this.
* Making room for the droid automatically cause me to think more about what i put on the floor, as a result the apartment looks more tidy.

Hmm, sounds useful.

I have a pretty sparsely populated living room and first floor. My worry is whether it can climb over the small "bumps" in the doorframes.

Hmm, sounds useful.

I have a pretty sparsely populated living room and first floor. My worry is whether it can climb over the small "bumps" in the doorframes.

Bumps in the doorframes is no problem. I have seen it drag itself over stuff that is 3cm high. But my bathroom have a 5cm doorstep out, so it can get in but not out.

It should be said that my livingroom is and have been a nightmare even with a regular vacuum cleaner but the droid actually manages to cover areas that I can't do with ease, like crawling under the TV-bench and under the table. Once I tossed out a few items it will be more effective than me at keeping the livingroom clean of dust.

What is that? By the name-calling I'd imagine some form of house-keeping R2D2. :D

As an old star wars fan I love calling it a "droid".I find it hard to not be attached to it when it moves around on it's own like some sort of pet. It doesn't move 100% perfect like a machine, rather it have an erratic movement across the floor, which make it even more lifelike.

Bumps in the doorframes is no problem. I have seen it drag itself over stuff that is 3cm high. But my bathroom have a 5cm doorstep out, so it can get in but not out.

It should be said that my livingroom is and have been a nightmare even with a regular vacuum cleaner but the droid actually manages to cover areas that I can't do with ease, like crawling under the TV-bench and under the table. Once I tossed out a few items it will be more effective than me at keeping the livingroom clean of dust.

It sounds like it might be a great supplement to a normal vaccuum cleaner.

I'm amazingly lazy when it comes to trivial daily tasks - and anything that might make them less of a pain is of potential interest.

How much did you pay for Jeeves?

Back
Top Bottom