Best motherboard for i5 6500?

Ah, I see...it's one thing pulls another : better board needs better cpu which needs better ram which needs... and so on, to fully utilize it. And before you know, you end up getting in debt with russian mafia, to get one simple upgrade. ;)
I'll get one 16GB 2133 stick, and leave another slot empty, if I need it.
I'm looking here at https://iponcomp.hr/ , at all these H110, B110 mbos...what's the difference between them?
Don't need anything above 32GB, USB 2.0/3.0 : 6/4 combination. Otherwise, I'm not seeing any real difference in specs.

As said above:

- Any Asus board.
- Focus on RAM amount rather than speed. Get a matched pair for dual channel performance.
- For gaming, developers are focusing on the cores game now, rather than the speed game. Focus on at least 4 physical cores (non hyperthreading). This is why they released the Pentium G3258 that is unlocked and can be easily OCed from 3.2 to 4.8 in some cases. Fast gaming on the cheap, but Intel knows that you can only go so far with dual cores before you hit a wall.
- If you have 4 cores and a decent amount of paired ram, it's the video card you need to focus on.

I've decided on Asrock B150M Pro4s( at least until I change my mind, in an hour or two ;) ).
It can be used to overclock RAM, plus it's made of "Super Alloy", instead of the regular kind.

I have currently been quite pleased with ASUS and A-bit for their monitoring utilities and features.

Bit late but as a general rule I prefer asrock followed by asus. The issue here is bios convenience. MSI bios sucks royally and ecs is ok but thin; i have not used gigabyte or biostar in recent times so no comments. Unless you are going to do serious overclocking there really isn't much difference in mb beyond a few key items listed below:
# of ports (sata, usb, ...)
type of ethernet port (I prefer intel when possible)
sound chip (this is actually a significant difference between boards and it includes the actual chip and support chip (filtering))
ports on back (for systems without a gpu I demand display port)
-
placement of sata and fan headers (ecs board I picked up a few months ago kind of sucked here but it was a z97 for $80 - more importantly it was a mini-itx which you can't find any more in z97)
-
I've had a few doa (mostly ram slots) and the % is actually pretty high these days (I think our hardware guys said something around 5% but my memory was faulty)
-
Don't know much about the board you are buying since I skipped skylake but the alc892 is definitely not the best - i prefer alc1150 - but for gaming alc892 is probably fine if the overall implementation is decent. Btw if you have a microcenter near you they tend to have best prices if you buy cpu/mb together - usually a good $50 less than newegg.

Back
Top Bottom