Skills and Talents we really don't need

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Hello, everyone,

I came up with this idea after I had a serious mis-reading from a screenshot from the RPGWatch games database.

So, now, I thought, why not make up a complete (or uncomplete, depending in how much we'll find) collection of these "skills and talents we really don't need" ?

I think this could be fun. :)

And excuse my grammar : my brain isn't working to 100 % today … :p

Okay, I begin with :

- Disuse : The skill of NOT using things. Highly appreciated depending of the mastery of the following skill :

- Misreading - the skill of not only wrongly interpreting, but outright … well, misreading things like cooking recipes, alchemy receipes, spell scrolls, "Wanted" posters, treaties between kingdoms, treasure maps etc. …

Any more ideas ? ;)

Alrik

Last edited:
- break item: the ability to break a perfectly usable item for no apparent reason

And how about a real-world one?
-critical failure: you try to check for secret doors in a wall with your dagger, somehow swing wildly, and cut off your own head. Roll a new character.

Map destroying - The ability to take a perfectly good map and thoroughly trash it.

Locking doors - The ability to lock all doors so it is impossible for you to proceed through them.

Weapon ineptness - The ability of not being able to use any type of weapon with any kind of skill whatsoever.

Resurrect enemy: it took you 5 minutes to kill this guy. Why not bring him back to try to kill you all over again?

Skinskin: this spell covers your skin with a second soft, fleshy layer, ideal for protecting you from…well, nothing really.

True berserk: your character goes mental and gains +2 to self-harming, shouting at strangers and pissing your pants.

Allergic reaction! You have a severe reaction to your own health potions, causing you to become weak, slowed, taking a fire damage hit every 30 sec from the fever, and you can only be cured by a cleric.

Lame Brain-the inability to learn any skill or spell whatsoever.

Lame Brain II - results in a lesser amount of experience points through slower learning !

Laziness: You have the potential to learn, but you are just too damn lazy to accomplish anything. Thus you gain no experience.

Hangover: You have drank too much booze and thus suffer -10 penalty to all skill checks and -15 penalty to dexterity checks.

Prodigal: You have no idea about the value of money and you're unable to controll your consumption. This perk results constant and irremediable need to buy random and useless items from vendors. You also suffer -5 penalty to appraise skill checks.

:)

Funny enough, I might have a twisted mind, but most of those anti-skills I find useful. Take misreading for starters (or illiteracy).

Typical situation: the game starts with our hero recieving a letter with some important notice. Now our hero (unlike us) is stupid and unexperienced and doesn't know he would soon embark on the perilous journey of saving other people's hides. The journey filled with treachery and betrayal.

Let's look at the same situation through the optics of illiteracy trait. Our hero would receive the very same letter. He stares blankly at the weird symbols on the paper. Then he tosses the paper in the fireplace picks up his rake and goes to attend to his garden.

The bottom line - neat garden and someone else saving the world. Pretty useful skill if you ask me. :D

Well, the magicians of the Unseen University always teach that the REAL power is NOT to use magic ...

Replying to them ;)

Ah, that reminds me...

`streamline` - ability to make Less out of More and convince everyone (but the Watch) that Less is Better ;)

- Mishearing : The ability to understand the wrong word when being taught a new spell. ;)

I vote for a blue-screen-of-death skill. And the skill would go from zero to max in 3 seconds of gameplay resulting in blue-screen-of-death upon launching the game.

Disorganized - Your characters' inventory is always messy no matter how hard you try to arrange, stack and organize it. Got it all in perfect order? BAM! Next time you open it, it's a mess.

Clumsy: -10 Dexterity
Alcoholic: -10 Intelligence
Poor bathing habits: +10 Intimidation, -15 at vendors.

Back
Top Bottom