Wasteland 2 - inXile Commits to Mac and Linux Versions

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Although the growth in Wasteland 2's Kickstarter pledges has slowed considerably, $1.5M is a safe bet and Brian Fargo has committed to the promised Mac and Linux versions even though that milestone hasn't quite been reached. From a tweet:
BTW we are close enough to $1.5 that we will commit to creating the Mac and Linux versions! Keep that support coming! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2?ref=live
The Paypal option is also now available, according to the official forums.
More information.

Now if we can get an ipad version:)

Pledges have definitely slowed, what are the odds they reach 1.75 -> 2.00 -> 2.25 million? I was hoping for a repeat of Double Fine's success.

Definitely like his "Kick it Forward" proposal in update 4...

I think more groups need to hurry and capitalize on the kickstarter craze. The novelty will wear off eventually. The more projects, hopefully, the greater number of success stories in a year two or three... If enough projects are successful and contributors get their promised pledge/tier reward that would go a long way to encourage further expansion of crowd sourcing and I hope a resurgence of previously thought "dead or dying" genres.

I was really hoping we would see this project hit somewhere around $3,000,000 so we could get an obscenely large world with a lot of content. That's looking much less likely at this point, but hopefully it has a few hundred thousand left in it. They haven't marketed nearly as well as the double fine team did.

I predict the Linux version is going to be a support nightmare for them. I like linux for backend servers but too many variants for desktop unless you release the source code (and probably even then). The plus side will be that by going multiplatform we might actually benefit from them avoiding windows specific hooks. I guess it will be OpenGL.

I was really hoping we would see this project hit somewhere around $3,000,000 so we could get an obscenely large world with a lot of content. That's looking much less likely at this point, but hopefully it has a few hundred thousand left in it. They haven't marketed nearly as well as the double fine team did.

I had a brief discussion with them on KS. Apparently they're cooking up something to get things going again.

Also, Brian Fargo on Twitter:

$1.5 million is achieved! Thank you !! We will now make some Mac and Linux owners happy. Stay tuned for what happens at 2 mil....

https://twitter.com/#!/BrianFargo/status/182997331468234752

I expect we'll see a spike in contributions now that they've officially crossed the multiplatform $1.5 million line -- there are people who want the Mac/Linux versions who were refusing to back the project until that threshold was reached. Then things will slow down again. Apparently Kickstarter projects often show a U-shaped contribution curve, with a spike at the end as well; if that holds true here I think $2.2 to $2.5 million is likely once all is said and done.

I'm going to hold on to my additional cash; I may need it if that Dead State KS makes an appearance.

Back
Top Bottom