Gothic 3 PiranhaBytes and Jowood are no more partners

Well, yeah. Perhaps they should of invested in a better project manager. And to that, proposed a better business case for Gothic 3.

The whole thing remembers me fataly on another very ambitious rpg - DungeonLords. In 2005 i was supervising the only German fanboard for this game at wog. I was also in contact with some guys from dreamcatcher in this time - btw. the only honest guy there was fired short time after release...

In fall 2006 with the Gothic3 release i felt some kind of creepy dejavu, many things in the development of both games seems to be like twins.

Too ambitious plans in the early phase, serious team breaks in the whole development cycle, lack of money and time in the end of development process.
Also the publisher reactions were nearly identical - like DC before also Jowood told still in the last days all people in the boards about this "fantasic, bug-free peace of genious programming art". In both cases rpg legends (DL: Bradley - Gothic: PB) seemed to guarentee a perfect game - the reality was harsh and brutal...

After release hell break loose in all boards over the world - and both publishers (well, you will guess it ;) ) again reacted nearly identical - with big silence. German jowood board was down for nearly a week - technical problems...

This kind of behaviour makes it hard for fans all over the world to believe in statements and promises, based on the reputation of a person or a whole crew.
Private boards with areas for games like this are abused by publishers as an instrument of cheap marketing. And if the whole thing goes wrong, the publishers and developers are playing "dead man" - the big silence is happening.
In the case of Gothic3 i must appreciate, that the PB´s at least were man enough to honestly admit theire faults. I´m waiting till today to hear about a similar statement from Mr. Bradley...

DL is a piece of @#*& and no amount of money and time can redeem it. G3 is definitely a diamond need more polishing. I hope they can come to an agreement to allow PB to complete it. Let it go JW... I will boycott anything Gothic unless it is coming from PB.

PB got G3 running in 3 years is a miracle for its scale and complexity...IMO a much more enjoyable game than Oblivion. If you compare their respective development costs, Bethesda will hide in shame... I hope PB learn their lesson good. Recruit more talents and get a publisher sharing their embition and don't just yank their chains.

Last edited:
Here´s a scenario I didn´t see mentioned anywhere yet:

That's actually my dream project (read: Fanboy Fantasy :) )but I really can't
comment on its viability as a business venture, especially in the current
dire straits PB found themselves into...

Back
Top Bottom