Graywalkers: Purgatory - A Strategic & Tactical Turn-Based RPG

Things going to mobile is a big plus for me. The PC games are piling up and I just don't spend enough time in front of a laptop to play them, but I could easily get through more ipad games if there were some real games rather than cow-clicker money games.

Granted the interfaces aren't quite as easy sometimes, but things like the spiderweb games are fine on them.

I don't care about it being on a phone, but I need way more info than what they have out there at this time. Show me.

And again, someone unkown not showing any gameplay footage at all. Completely unprofessional - no funds from me.

It looks to have some potential. I can't say I'm excited by another CRPG relying on "emergent gameplay" though; that should come second after the main plot.

Interested. Especially if they release for mobile devices actually, although I always prefer playing games on my PC family and work makes those hours few and too long inbetween. Mobile games with more depth than todays awful "free" puzzle and action games would make me happy.

It looks to have some potential. I can't say I'm excited by another CRPG relying on "emergent gameplay" though; that should come second after the main plot.

To me it's quite the contrary. a game's gameplay should come first (how crazy is that, right?)

Hi guys! Glad to see a thread here for the game. If you have any questions about the game, please don't hesitate to ask. I also wanted to say thanks to each and every one who has commented here. Your views (positive or negative) have been building interest in the game and we're grateful for that. Right now RPGwatch has driven the most backers to our game so far.

To wolfling and rjshae, we agree with you both somehow. The gameplay and the story are equally important. This is why the game has 2 modes of play: Campaign and Freeform. In the campaign mode, the story is more dominant obviously and the Freeform mode, puts the emergent gameplay more in the limelight.

We agree with your sentiment completely.

Interested. Especially if they release for mobile devices actually, although I always prefer playing games on my PC family and work makes those hours few and too long inbetween. Mobile games with more depth than todays awful "free" puzzle and action games would make me happy.

You just won yourself another backer by posting here. Pledged.

Thanks tomasp3n for backing us. We will try our very best not to disappoint you.

Just saw your new video…while it's nice to see some ingame stuff, it has the same quality issues. If you don't have a studio where you record this stuff, you should at least use an empty room and a decent microphone. And turn off the air conditioner and ventilation. In Ferdinand's part you even hear people talking in the background…it's really hard to watch the video without getting annoyed.

And you should shorten the video. Most people don't have such an attentionspan.
E.g. from 9:52 to 10:40 you name all the platforms and companies. Cut that together to 20 seconds and show some company logos. Also nobody needs to know whether you had people working on gameboy advanced games if it's completely irrelevant for that game.

Thanks for the suggestions. Will take note of that. We're going to re-edit on monday. We definitely will be reducing that sucker down. Hopefully we can do something to reduce the sound clutter.

Just saw your new video…while it's nice to see some ingame stuff, it has the same quality issues. If you don't have a studio where you record this stuff, you should at least use an empty room and a decent microphone. And turn off the air conditioner and ventilation. In Ferdinand's part you even hear people talking in the background…it's really hard to watch the video without getting annoyed.

And you should shorten the video. Most people don't have such an attentionspan.
E.g. from 9:52 to 10:40 you name all the platforms and companies. Cut that together to 20 seconds and show some company logos. Also nobody needs to know whether you had people working on gameboy advanced games if it's completely irrelevant for that game.

The problem with PC games coming to phones is that most developers won't have the know-how, inclination or resources to develop two completely different iterations of the same game - which is what you'd need to do in most cases dealing with "complex" RPG/strategy games.

So, you'll end up with a game that's adaptable for the limitations of the phone - just like you end up with multiplatform games designed around the limitations of consoles.

I know a lot of people still don't realise that console limitations have been one of the primary limiting factors barring true evolution in the PC segment - but I consider it a fact as plain as day.

So, unless this game was always envisioned as a "light" game adaptable easily to phones and tablets - there's no way around it being a watered down version of what could have been. Well, that, or they'll cancel the phone version.

Now, if you don't mind supporting that sort of development - all of the above obviously isn't a problem FOR YOU - but it should be possible to appreciate why some of us aren't crazy about putting money into the hands of people who don't seem to care about taking games forward like we'd want them to.

joxer might not have the most nuanced take on this issue - but I think I get where he's coming from.

Loved the character art on this, but found everything else lacking.

TB and good character art alone won't make me back this. Maybe you should play some classic SRPGs on consoles for inspiration.

The problem with PC games coming to phones is that most developers won't have the know-how, inclination or resources to develop two completely different iterations of the same game - which is what you'd need to do in most cases dealing with "complex" RPG/strategy games.

So, you'll end up with a game that's adaptable for the limitations of the phone - just like you end up with multiplatform games designed around the limitations of consoles.

I know a lot of people still don't realise that console limitations have been one of the primary limiting factors barring true evolution in the PC segment - but I consider it a fact as plain as day.

So, unless this game was always envisioned as a "light" game adaptable easily to phones and tablets - there's no way around it being a watered down version of what could have been. Well, that, or they'll cancel the phone version.

Now, if you don't mind supporting that sort of development - all of the above obviously isn't a problem FOR YOU - but it should be possible to appreciate why some of us aren't crazy about putting money into the hands of people who don't seem to care about taking games forward like we'd want them to.

joxer might not have the most nuanced take on this issue - but I think I get where he's coming from.

Hi there, I'd like to join in the discussion at this point.

I'm the lead engineer for Graywalkers, and I'd like to clarify about the mobile version.

First off, we're targeting tablets only. We don't think the tiny screen sizes of phones will replicate the experience we're aiming for in the PC version.

Our idea for this is more of how 2K Games did the mobile version of XCOM: same experience as the PC version as much as possible, no microtransactions.

We won't be "dumbing down" the PC version just because we'll release to other platforms too.

Anyway, this is only as a stretch goal; we'll be releasing to desktops first and foremost. I'd be shooting myself in the foot if I had the mobile version to worry about as well, that early!

Thanks for the info and welcome to the Watch.

Back
Top Bottom