Wasteland 2 - Kickstarter Successful!

Damn it, raised my pledge to $115 ($15 for postage). :p Not that much more expensive in euros than other Colector's Editions, but better bonuses than most of them.

I have no idea what it stands for.. Lesbian, Gays, Transsexuals the rest i dont know. They scream about representation because they got that in Mass Effect and DA, so now every game has to have queer heroes and transsexual companions, and the game has to revolve a lot around relationships (or else they'll scream very, very loud.)

Edit: it stands for: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, and Questioning

Last edited:
That only relates to Bioware. And Borderhouse. So, one developer and one semi-loud blogging site. Or were relations and gays important themes in Witcher 2 or Skyrim?

In any case, this is excellent news. Also, Codex has already raised $5k for a Troll statue in-game, Watch should do something similar!

That only relates to Bioware.

Well this game has attracted a lot of Bioware fans.. the largest thread on the WL2 forum is about LGBTQ and the importance of including / representing that.

It is large because droves have come in to demand they fall off a cliff. I contributed in that sense, albeit somewhat more politely.

Well this game has attracted a lot of Bioware fans.. the largest thread on the WL2 forum is about LGBTQ and the importance of including / representing that.

I have nothing against the LGBT community, but I see no reason whatsoever for inXile to include any "representation" in WL2. I don't want romances in this game, regardless of orientation.

not to be a hater, but with proper package management (badge) this would've been 2mil by now
just sayin

I think people may be wrong when they say the big publishers don't care about this. Remember how all of the big publishers jumped into casual games? And into social games? Yeah, there was some big money going around (especially in the latter), but they won't ignore stuff like this, either.

But while I like to characterize it as a kick in the butt / smack in the face to the big publishers, it's not that, either. You have to realize how these guys play ball. They are big and cautious (duh!). They let others take the risks, watch carefully, and then swoop in with their money to either buy out or clobber the survivors.

I don't think they are going to see this as a trend, yet, however. More of an anomaly. Now if people like Charles Clerc and Jeff Vogel and Thomas Riegsecker and yours truly all start getting stinking rich alongside the InXile crew making these kinds of games, THEN you are going to see movement from the big publisher front. They'll tell each other that "the market has changed" (because, you know, it wasn't that THEY just couldn't be bothered to make decent games to address a substantial niche… it's because the market didn't exist until they started paying attention, of course). And THEN you are going to see a hell of a lot of old franchises getting dusted off, because jumping into what is now an unfamiliar subgenre with a "new" franchise is just too risky.

And there are maybe a few who are seeing another pillar of the game-publishing industry - financing - starting to shiver. First it was distribution, now financing… they still have marketing, but if I were a bigwig at a major game studio I might be either planning for a shorter horizon on my personal exit strategy if I wanted to leave triumphant, or start figuring out a way to reinvent my company.

We could be in for some interesting times. But I wouldn't start counting my chickens just yet. But I've no doubt there are several high-level managers right now who are paying attention to the Double Fine Adventure and Wasteland 2 bids with interest.

You must try a crowd funding model for the sequel of Frayed Knights Jay.

For example there's an indie spage rogue-like project as FTL, and it managed to amass over 100.000 $, where as their goal was only 10.000 $. I think with such a money you may hire some outsource graphic designers, animators, musicians to improve the technical and presentation side of the game.

You must try a crowd funding model for the sequel of Frayed Knights Jay.

Or perhaps a crowdfunding for enhancements to an existing project, e.g. a Kickstarter to finance improved artwork, sound effects or soundtrack, or a migration to a more advanced game engine.

God, I hope they don't ruin Wasteland with this pubescent romance shit. Gay, straight, whatever, get it the hell out of my post-apocalypse survival.

I'm wondering how many of those requests are just people trolling vs. authentic requests. The noise ratio on the WL forum has certainly increased a lot since the kickstarter went up.

Fargo and company have quite a task ahead in just sorting through everything for useful feedback.

If i can't play a dyslectic black transsexual dwarf with Horton's disease i'm gonna be pretty pissed.. Seriously though, dating and romances in this type of game is as out of place as virtual pets that you have to feed. No, i dont even want it as "optional".

Sorry if this isn't new (it's only 3hrs old) but there is another interview at GB.

GB: And I have to ask… what are the chances we'll ever see a continuation of the party-based Bard's Tale series many of us fell in love with 25 years ago? If Wasteland 2 is successful, would you ever consider using Kickstarter to fund a return expedition to Skara Brae?

Brian: What do you think? ;)

Bard's Tale 2 on the Amiga was awesome - I had Father Kringle & Ybarra the Mage in my party!

Back
Top Bottom