Star Traders 2 - A New Kickstarter RPG Game

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Star Traders 2 is a new RPG on kickstarter from developer Trese Brothers Games that is asking for $50,000 to get funded, Here is the usual video, and game description.

For four years, our players have asked us to break new ground and create a next-generation RPG in the Star Traders universe. It’s time for us to make good on our promises. Star Traders 2 will be, at its core, an RPG and trading game set in a completely open, non-linear universe. We've mingled inspirations from genre-defining series like Firefly and Battlestar Galactica, books like Dune, and games like Mass Effect, Pirates! and Dwarf Fortress, but the heart of the project is inspired and driven by the original Star Traders RPG and our community's vision for ST 2. If you're new to the Star Traders world, we hope you'll join us as a backer and as a Captain. If you're already a Captain - here is the project for which you've been waiting, but we can't do it without you.
More information.

The first one was one of the first kind of neat non-gimmick games I ever picked up for my tablet. Deeper character/crew customizing and combat would make it a pretty great tablet space trader rpg.

Nice GUI, the battle system is superb and they already released six games. Backing this.

Battle will feature three tactical views, ranging from capital ship combat to hand to hand combat between crews. The Ship Combat View will include battles in deep space and within a planet’s atmosphere. Take the bridge and issue orders to your crew and Officers to maximize your tactical advantage. Use your ship’s unique design, firing arcs and defenses to crush your opponents. Pick from a wide array of weapons to develop your own style - some may favor smart weapons (mines, torpedos) while others rely on the brute strength (mass drivers, guns decks). The Boarding Combat View will cover battles inside ships and hostile orbital installations. Lead the boarding party directly and fight corridor to corridor to capture enemy ships. Equip your warriors with hundreds of weapons, armors and combat skills. Face unexpected dangers on hostile ships including hull damage, radiation and overwhelming aliens. The Ground Combat View will cover exploration and battles on the surface of planets. Lead your away team across varied terrain, through dangerous worlds, toxic environments, and against hostile ground forces. Explore hundreds of locations and procedurally generated battlefields all while using the skills of your crew and officers to outsmart your enemies, gather critical intelligence and avoid violence through stealth.

Not sure if I'm going to back this one or not, their Heroes of Steel game was quite decent, imo. Based on that alone, I'm likely to kick into this one at some point.

Sounds nice in theory. Their scope may be a little too grand for a tight RPG. I'd rather see something more local with better development of the details.

I like that someone is adding RPG mechanics to the traditional "do anything in space" model - I admit that's the one thing I wish Elite: Dangerous had done.

Not sure if I'm going to back this one or not, their Heroes of Steel game was quite decent, imo. Based on that alone, I'm likely to kick into this one at some point.

I am currently playing Heroes of Steel on my phone, and it's one of the more decent games I've played on there. I'm honestly having a good time with it.

So, I backed them. I tried my hand at the original Star Traders, but didn't like it that much... I dunno, it was all a little... abstract. Hoping for better with this one!

Thanks to everyone who came over to support the KickStarter! This is Andrew, the artist and one of the devs behind Star Traders 2 RPG! Let me know if you have any questions and we appreciate your sharing and getting the word out.

@wiretripped - I think you'd find ST2 to be more character-oriented, following closer to the action and less "abstract."

Thanks to everyone who came over to support the KickStarter! This is Andrew, the artist and one of the devs behind Star Traders 2 RPG! Let me know if you have any questions and we appreciate your sharing and getting the word out.

@wiretripped - I think you'd find ST2 to be more character-oriented, following closer to the action and less "abstract."

I have s question, although I've already backed the game. Will the game have level scaling making all your advancements mean close to nothing? I think that was what made me stop playing your Cyberknights game, although I might be remembering it wrong. I hate level scaling with a passion. The difficulty curve of a game should in my opinion be linear, with the real possibility of both getting ahead and falling behind your opposition.

@tomasp3n - I'd agree that parts of the Cyber Knights scaling mechanic are brutal and basically refuse to budge. There are parts of the city that you simply cannot go until you are ready, they are certain death. We've improved the scaling a lot over the last nine months or so (as well as rebooting the jobs system and encounter system) so perhaps take another look if you enjoy cyberpunk. The original Star Traders RPG has a very clean scaling mechanic that allows, as you said, both getting ahead and falling behind. That model has been very successful for the four years the game has been out, and we expect to use a modified version of it for ST2.

I hope that helps and thank you for backing our project!

@tomasp3n - I'd agree that parts of the Cyber Knights scaling mechanic are brutal and basically refuse to budge. There are parts of the city that you simply cannot go until you are ready, they are certain death. We've improved the scaling a lot over the last nine months or so (as well as rebooting the jobs system and encounter system) so perhaps take another look if you enjoy cyberpunk. The original Star Traders RPG has a very clean scaling mechanic that allows, as you said, both getting ahead and falling behind. That model has been very successful for the four years the game has been out, and we expect to use a modified version of it for ST2.

I hope that helps and thank you for backing our project!

Actually, what I would prefer is no scaling at all. I had no problem getting my ass handed to me when I went into the wrong sectors in Cyberknights, what I don't like is when enemies everywhere get better the same time you do. It's fine if it's like in Space Rangers 2 where it's time based, the "World" will continually level no matter what you do, but if you invest your time properly you'll get WAY ahead after a while. What I don't like is games that scale to your level, as in when you level up, so does the world. I might be remembering Cyberkjnights wrong and that's not how that game works though.

Scaling with time like in X-Com or Space Rangres: Perfectly valid
Scaling with YOUR level like in TES and many others: Abysmal

@tomasp3n - thanks for the response. The scaling model in Star Traders is based on the game's date. So, there is a curve and you can fall behind it or get a head of it. Sorry I wasn't clear about that -- too much jibba-jabba about Cyber Knights :D

@tomasp3n - thanks for the response. The scaling model in Star Traders is based on the game's date. So, there is a curve and you can fall behind it or get a head of it. Sorry I wasn't clear about that — too much jibba-jabba about Cyber Knights :D

Great, then maybe I have to increase my pledge a bit...

Great, then maybe I have to increase my pledge a bit…

Thank you for your pledge increase! With the Pledge Match Drive on, your extra will be matched by our backer Balgair :D You've given double to make this awesome project a reality!

Thank you for your pledge increase! With the Pledge Match Drive on, your extra will be matched by our backer Balgair :D You've given double to make this awesome project a reality!

No problem, I hope you'll make the goal. I might pitch even more if you're close but not past the goal line when the campaign is closer to the end, there's a severe lack of good games with some depth on Android.

Last edited:
@tomasp3n - we'll appreciate the extra support if we need it as we approach the funding deadline. We've got 11 days left, and are moving steadily toward the goal. We'll have another Pledge Match Drive this weekend on Saturday, that would be a great time to kick in another $5!

I play a lot of games on my ipad…I'm very close to backing this….just getting motivated to do it now:p

EDIT: Backed at 10 dollars:)

I play a lot of games on my ipad…I'm very close to backing this….just getting motivated to do it now:p

EDIT: Backed at 10 dollars:)

@rune_74 - thank you for the support and welcome to the party!

Back
Top Bottom