Gothic Gothic error

Uriziel

Sentinel
I'm trying to run Gothic on a Windows 7 64bit machine. It installs fine, but give the following error when starting.
X: XD3D_InitPerDX: Can't create context! Error: DDERR_UNSUPPORTEDMODE

The PC is a Q6600, 2GB ram, and a Geforce GTX 285 vid card. Win7 version 7600, with latest nvidia drivers. I goggled the error and tried rolling back drivers, changing nvidia control panel settings etc. Same result.

Has anyone seen a solution that works?

Gothic on a newish 64bit windows? Forget about it.

Gothic on a newish 64bit windows? Forget about it.

Instead of a peanut gallery comment...............give me a clue about the error. And take a bath too please.

Seriously, I'm trying to figure out if it is a WIN7 thing or nVidia thing. For example the same machine won't even install G2 except in safe mode and of course won't play at all. I've read other threads where people running a similar config to mine ran G and G2 perfectly....but they had ATI. Then see other thread where they had nvidia and G wouldn't run, but G2 would etc. I'm trying to trace the problem and don't want to do line by line coding :p

And seriously.....bath.........give it some thought :D

Um - I think he is saying that the Gothic 1 & 2 are notorious and well known for not working on 64-bit Windows.

Two ideas:

1. The error message seems to be Direct3D related. May be you only have Direct3D 10, but need Direct3D 9 to run the game? (You can have both versions installed at the same time, at least in Vista this works.)

2. God old Games offers Gothic 1 and 2. Usually they have packed older games in clever ways in order to run them on newer systems.

However these are only guesses because I also belong to the unwashed masses who don't use this OS.

I'm running the win7x64 7600 version(RTM not beta)

The saga continues:
After not being able to get past the error on the 64bit OS, I made a partition and installed XP Performance Edition July 2009(a trimmed down version of XP you can google about), DX9, Avira Premium Security Suite, Firefox, nVidia motherboard drivers, and ran windows update. It installed all the security patches, .Net Framework 2-3.5, nVidia WHQL vid drivers....in other words, the OS was fully up to date.

I installed Gothic, inextremo patch, Gothic_-_ThielHaters_Texturepatch_FINAL, gothic_patch_108k, copied over my saved games, then applied the no-cd....all in that order. I got the same error as I got on Win7x64 :/ It should have easily ran, but didn't.

I decided to go as basic as possible, removed one of my monitors using nVidia control panel...disabling the 24inch on DVI and using only the 21 inch on VGA.....thinking the unsupported mode error might be dual monitors. WTF, it was a stab in the dark. I started Gothic and got the same error, swapped displays using only the DVI....same error.

Each time I got the error on either OS I would see the Gothic logo thingy(I'll call it Ralph), then PB animated logo thingy, then the background screen with three guys.....one of them a mage holding a fireball. This is normally the background you see when the New Game, Load Game etc. "options" screen comes up.....but it would never show the options screen. Music would be playing, and pressing esc. made a sound like inventory opening and closing with each press. So I sat with a stupid look on my face and would ctrl+alt+delete to get out of it and back to desktop.

Being rather hard-headed I tried to install DX9 and again, but it said the same or newer version was already installed, so no changes were made. :/ :\ But I had noticed something behind the error messages. The cmd-like small screen behind the error pop-up said 1.06i. So it made me think the gothic_patch_108k didn't fully install....even though the install had completed without any errors. So I ran gothic_patch_108k again and it completed once more without errors.

I gave the ole Gothic icon another click and Ralph showed up....but it wasn't Ralph. It was Ralph, but this time it had the "loading..." text at the lower right of Ralph. Next came the PB animated logo, then the three dudes/fireball....followed about two second later by the game options screen. Gothic was now working on XP :/ :\ I quit back to desktop, swapped to the DVI monitor and fired up Gothic....worked perfectly. Back to desktop, enabled both monitors, click the Gothic icon and Ralph w/"loading..." came up and Gothic still worked :/ :\ I max'ed out resolution, details etc. Game still ran flawlessly. Now I was getting pissed off. I hadn't changed or added anything, but now it worked. DX9 and gothic_patch_108k were re-installed, but nothing really should have changed.

I booted back into Win7, did EXACTLY the same thing I did in XP.....and Gothic worked :/ :\ And I really mean I did EXACTLY the same things. Followed every step precisely.....all the monitor switching, DX9 and gothic_patch_108k reinstalls.......EXACTLY the same process.....and it works on Win7 64bit now. WTF!!!

The only difference in gameplay between the two OS's is 1900x1200x32 isn't available on Win7 but is on XP. And there is an occasional pause as the sky flashes white.(this pause only happens when sky is visible on about 1/3 of the screen. Inside, in caves or forest or even looking down the pause doesn't happen. Even a small portion of sky on the screen doesn't cause the pause. You can stand or run while looking at ONLY sky and it may or may not ever pause. Since I installed the BlueSky option in the texture patch, I'm gonna completely remove the texture patch and see what happens.) Water is flashing on and off but doesn't cause a pause. I only played with the settings 3-4 minutes, so all these minor things might can be ironed out.

Anyway, Gothic can be played on Win7 x64 7600 RTM version and nVidia drivers........which was said to be all but impossible everywhere I read. Next up....getting G2 to work on Win7x64 :|

Back
Top Bottom