Hard Reset, a PC exclusive cyberpunk FPS

Frozen Fireball

Trying to unfreeze
Well, there is this new game announced called Hard Reset which is a cyberpunk FPS with a little bit role playing flavor. The full press release tells us everything we need to know about the game:

Flying Wild Hog Announces Hard Reset, a Dark Sci-Fi Shooter for PC
Polish Studio Comprised of Painkiller, Bulletstorm and Witcher 2 Vets Announces its Atmospheric and Action-Packed Cyberpunk Debut

Warsaw, Poland – July 13. Flying Wild Hog announced its debut game, the dark sci-fi first-person shooter, Hard Reset. The PC-exclusive title transports players to a haunting, dystopian future, with humanity on the verge of extinction, confined to its last standing city and under constant threat from the robotic hordes that aim to annihilate mankind. Hard Reset is scheduled for release in September 2011.

In the only remaining human city of Bezoar, Major Fletcher, an Army Combat Veteran and soldier of the CLN, is dragged into a conflict between two of mankind’s greatest enemies. He is to discover that nothing is what it seems to be.

Hard Reset may be Flying Wild Hog’s debut title, but the 35-person studio is comprised of veterans of Warsaw’s bustling development scene, with past experience at such renowned developers as People Can Fly, CD Projekt RED and City Interactive, where they worked on acclaimed games like Bulletstorm, Painkiller, The Witcher 2, Sniper and more. Hard Reset is built upon the studio’s own Road Hog technology, which delivers stunning visuals that bring the game’s incredible atmosphere to life.

Given the game’s rapidly approaching release date, expect much more information and footage of Hard Reset in the coming weeks and months. In the meantime, visit http://hardresetgame.com and follow the game’s progress on Twitter and Facebook.

Screen-shots:
4-590x347.jpg

1-590x347.jpg

Source:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/07/13/exclusive—flying-wild-hog-announces-cyberpunk-fps-hard-reset/
Also see the official website for the teaser trailer:
http://hardresetgame.com/

Yeah, I saw the teaser trailer for this earlier over at Gameguru.com. Thought about posting about it, but the trailer is so short, it's hard to get any kind of feel for the game.

Haven't read anything about it having role-playing elements though. Afaik, it's a straight FPS.

Haven't read anything about it having role-playing elements though. Afaik, it's a straight FPS.
Yeah, there is no word of RPG elements yet, but since some people from CDPR are working on the game and also according to HUD of the game in the screen-shots above, you can probably upgrade your character or customize his abilities, I thought there might be some RPG flavor in it.

Pretty close to release for an announcement. I wish more companies would do that. Well, at least if they intend to stick to the date ;)

Looks very interesting.

Of course, I'd very much prefer RPG elements to be a big part of it, but we can't have enough Cyberpunk games - and given the people behind it, I'm definitely going to keep my eyes out for this one.

Speaking of cyberpunk fps/rpg's, whatever happened to E.Y.E.? The last I heard anything about that game, the developers said they were hoping for a February release, and that month has come and gone long ago with no new updates since then (as far as I know).

Hard Reset has me immediately intrigued. Vampire: Bloodlines and Deus Ex have forever hooked me into rpg's with sci-fi settings :).

Last edited:
Looks very interesting.

Of course, I'd very much prefer RPG elements to be a big part of it, but we can't have enough Cyberpunk games - and given the people behind it, I'm definitely going to keep my eyes out for this one.

That's abnormally positive for you. Are you feeling yourself today? ;)

Hard Reset has me immediately intrigued. Vampire: Bloodlines and Deus Ex have forever hooked me into the cyberpunk setting :).

First time I've ever seen someone refer to VtM:B as cyberpunk.

First time I've ever seen someone refer to VtM:B as cyberpunk.

Oops…I actually meant to say sci-fi but must have had the word cyberpunk on the brain late last night :).

Ok, so as far as E.Y.E., goes, I finally found an update that says that they delayed the game (obviously). This quiet announcement was made back in March, so it might be time to fear for the worse - I think that it seems like it has been canceled.

there are indeed to few cyberpunk games. hell i even enjoyed neurohunter, which was decent and innovative despite being a somewhat "empty" game and even the further back and incomplete game sabotain: break the rules which had a lot of terrible quality elements even for back then when i played it, but it had an open cyberpunk world that you could walk, drive and shoot around in and that was worth the effort it took to import it. also this was well before gta3.

if this has an open explorable world i'll probably buy it even if the game is lackluster itself.

by the way i really wish they've make a bloody sequel to omikron someday.

That's abnormally positive for you. Are you feeling yourself today? ;)

When I'm positive, it usually means there's a reason.

When others are positive, it means fuck all ;)

Ok, a bit conceited - but there's some truth to it.

More like delusional. :)

At least that's the word that comes to mind when someone always sees something wrong with other people's optimism, but never their own.

Now I'm really shocked :)

At least you're safe from that kind of hypocrisy *bad cough* DNF *bad cough*

That's a first ;)

I guess that means I make sense most of the time.

There is a Q&A about Hard Reset in Gamespot ( with FWH's CEO Michal Szustak ). If you are interested in the game, it's highly recommended to fully read it. But anyway, there is the summary of the most important questions below:

GS: With a release window of September 2011, there's not a lot of time between now and when your game comes out. How long has the game been in development? Why only reveal the game now?

MS: We started developing Hard Reset in April 2009, so now it's been more than two years. Why reveal so late? We believe that players don't like those two or three years of hyping, with lots of web site counters and teasing all the same assets. And after three years of waiting you finally get information saying the game will show up half a year later than promised! Then, after those six months, two more months of waiting! Personally, I really hate it. So we decided to show our game when it's ready. When it's literally done. No postponements. We want the players to trust us, and we will do our best to get them good games in the future.

GS: What type of game is Hard Reset? Is it more of an open-world shooter like the Far Cry series, or something more linear, such as the Modern Warfare games?

MS: Hard Reset is definitely not an open-world shooter like Far Cry, but it's also not a shooter on rails, the kind that Modern Warfare is. It's rather similar to old-school shooters like Doom, where you had to search the level to get a key card, and where you will find secrets—sometimes really challenging ones.

GS: On the topic of gameplay, what more can you reveal about the interface featured in a few of the screenshots you've released? What do the different bars and icons refer to?

MS: As you know, we don't have regenerating health, so one of the bars is used to display health. We also have a shield meter, stamina for sprint, energy/ammunition for weapons, and, of course, the N.A.N.O. bar. N.A.N.O. is the currency that you will gather to buy new weapons and upgrades.

GS: Given that Hard Reset will be a PC exclusive, how hard will it push modern computers? Will PC gamers need a space-age computer in order to run it, or will the performance be fairly scalable?

MS: We will announce official hardware requirements soon, but I'm sure you will be surprised. We've got some really good engine programmers, and I can promise you that even a five-year-old PC will be sufficient to play Hard Reset. But if you own a pimped-up gaming rig, the experience will be much more intense.

GS: What can you tell us about the game's multiplayer?

MS: There is none! Seriously, you can gather achievements and level scores and compare them to your friends—that's all. Why? Because nowadays there are just too many games focused only on multiplayer. We had to choose whether we wanted to put all our efforts into creating the best single-player experience or add a multiplayer mode just to fill the check box and still get it done worse than in other games focused on multiplayer modes.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/h...ain?sid=6326099&mode=previews&tag=footer;link

GS: What can you tell us about the game's multiplayer?

MS: There is none! Seriously, you can gather achievements and level scores and compare them to your friends—that's all. Why? Because nowadays there are just too many games focused only on multiplayer. We had to choose whether we wanted to put all our efforts into creating the best single-player experience or add a multiplayer mode just to fill the check box and still get it done worse than in other games focused on multiplayer modes. .

That's refreshing to hear. I'm really looking forward to this game, especially since E.Y.E. doesn't seem to be what I was hoping for.

It sounds pretty good, though I'm not at all excited to hear about it being old-school shooter style gameplay. Nothing is more boring than the Doom paradigm - but I'm hoping the setting will win me over.

Back
Top Bottom