Last game you finished, tell us about it

I can now say with confidence that Black Flag is the better game of the two
Bah.
Your taste sucks. In your eyes my taste sucks.
But Rogue is still 2 times better game than AC4 will ever be.

Bah.
Your taste sucks. In your eyes my taste sucks.
But Rogue is still 2 times better game than AC4 will ever be.

Well, at least the majority seem to share my sucky taste since Black Flag has a MC score of 84 while Rogue only averages at 74. The user score is a closer race at 7.7 for Black Flag and 7.6 for Rogue BUT Black Flag's user score is based on 1454 votes while Rogue only has 351 ratings.
On Steam it's 86% positive ratings pro Black Flag vs. 82% positive ratings for Rogue and again a massive difference in numbers because BF has over 16K votes while Rogue only has a little over 2K.

So, my taste sucks but I'm surrounded by many like-minded ones so there... *pouts* :biggrin:

But I admitted, not once, that I'm the minority. No reason to analyze it through AC games.
You know that no matter how I hated it, millions are playing phonegames and even more are buying horse armor DLC. And when it comes to bugs, seems games crash and get bugged in different ways only on my PC, noone else has any problems, especially mainstream GOTY award juries.

Wait a minute. How many DLC Rogue has? How much Ubi charged for Rogue season pass?
And AC4?

Personally, I'll never understand why *any* of the AC games are popular. The series had tons of potential, but the actual gameplay is just awful imo.

Wait a minute. How many DLC Rogue has? How much Ubi charged for Rogue season pass?
And AC4?

Good point and another huge win for Black Flag :) . AC Rogue only has crap DLC like timsesaver packs and overpowered gear. It has no story DLC at all.
Black Flag has crap DLC, too, but in addition to that, it also has a decent story DLC in the form of Freedom Cry.
I bought the deluxe editions of both games (on deep discounts) so I had all of the DLC installed for both games.

Anyway, I believe it really boils down to taste on the one hand but on the other hand -as I said in the other thread- it probably plays a huge role which one of the games you play first since they are so similar.
With Ubi's extremely formulaic gameplay, you are guaranteed to have a substantial "meh been there, done that" reaction to either game depending on which one you play later.

Personally, I'll never understand why *any* of the AC games are popular. The series had tons of potential, but the actual gameplay is just awful imo.

It can be fun...well, sort of, if you're not holding block and parry all the time. The writing can actually be pretty good at times...Black Flag, Imo is the best written AC game to date. Look up the ending, one of best I've seen in recent years, really surprised there.
AC III also had potential but felt flat with Connor.
They do a great job with world design and capturing ambiance of each period, but kill it with trivial tasks.

Proving that I have lost my mind, I just finished Champions of Krynn: Yet Another Gold Box Edition. This was one of my first RPGs I ever finished, so I have fond memories of it. However, it is definitely an earlier GB game. Mob placement is no where near as good as in Treasures, more on par with Gateway. Itemization is better though, since there are spots with random magical items dropping; you have a chance to get +1 items of types you never see. At least weapons are better. Armor you never really get a significant upgrade unless you are a mage/thief type using no armor, or a Knight (the best armor in the game in Knight-only).

In terms of plot, it builds on the somewhat stronger Dragonlance setting, however, the bad guy's plan, in retrospect, makes no sense.

However, demi-humans aren't useless like in FR-based games. In a FR game of this level range, non-humans would end up losing value outside of this game, maybe the next in the series. Here, Elves and Half-elves at least make good casters of both types. and a Fighter/Cleric/Mage of those races will at least get two full attacks with full casting of both classes. Sadly, Thief remains, as always, all but useless. Traps you can disarm are rare, and locks largely can be handled by your friendly party red mage and knock. My Cleric/Thief will be staying at Palanthas after this, and be replaced with another character come DKoK.

It is a bit on the short side, similar to Gateway. Of course, it was built for systems ranging from the Mighty C64, with it's 320k floppy disks and 64k of RAM (38k after the OS loaded) to 386 IBM 'powerhouses'. I think it took me maybe 10-12 hours, roughly. Of course, I have played through it before, so I wasn't going in blind. I also, as usual with these type games, printed the maps beforehand, so I didn't have to hand-draw them. I also got a little frustrated with constant random encounters, and reloaded a lot of times just to avoid those. I hit the level cap for the game by the end, so I don't think I missed much XP wise. I might even be able to level shortly after entering Death Knights.

Combat varies of course, but your strategy is going to change from Throtl (the first town) to Gargath (the second), and several fights will have even greater differences. There are more than a few fights that will require some reloading if you miss even a single roll or you screw up just one time.

Champions is a mid-range GB game in terms of UI. Fix is here, but you have to manually reload every spell after casting. The engine will never get a usable automap I think. But, even after beating two others in the line recently, and even a aborted start in Pool of Radiance (I can't stand the much cruder UI, after playing the newer GB titles so much over the years, it manages to fall just below the level of still playable to me. There is a conversion of PoolRad and Curse for Unlimited Adventures, though. The bad thing being that you can't transfer from there to Secret/Pools of Darkness).

Last edited:
Continuing on, I finished Death Knights of Krynn, the disappointing sequel to Champions that I finished less than a day ago. Yes, I marathoned the heck out of this one.

It's got later improvements to the GB engine, notably remembering spells you had memorized previously, improved targetting, etc… AI also has a mild upgrade, and on occasion enemies have better placement in combat, along with some getting random magic immunity to make them a slog. And then every other critter also level drains you. Goblin? Level drains. Squirrel? Undead necrotic squirrel who drains 3 levels on every hit. On the plus side, random encounters, that act of terrorism against RPG gamers everywhere, are actually tolerable here, at least in towns/dungeons. Wilderness encounters were too common, but not always were combats, which is a bonus.

It's a good thing I don't keep track of reloads.

Plot is where this one is most disappointing. It makes no sense. First off, you should never have people need to have read a half-dozen or more novels to get your backstory. Second, you shouldn't contradict those novels entirely and create gaping plot wounds that can never even be covered. At the very least, when you can replace the characters you drew from those novels entirely with new ones, and no one would even notice, you should just go ahead and create new ones. 10 minutes of changing names and a few quick rewrites would have given a much more coherent plot. Not that its saying much. Even within the confines of itself, the plot is little more than paper thin.

This may also rank as the shortest GB game ever. I doubt I broke 10 hours playing this, at best. Considering I have never played DKK at all, that's sad.

On to Dark Queen of Krynn, another game I've never played!

Last edited:
Dark Fear. Pretty short, light adventure-light rpg hybrid, done in a retro style. Fair entertainment.

Life is Strange

It's an adventure game in the same genre as the Walking Dead or Game of Thrones, where you make some decisions that affect other bits of the story.

The game itself has a nice twist where you actually are able to go back in time, which allows you to test out things and try different possibilities. At the end of every chapter it tells you what decision you made versus the wider community, which is interesting because sometimes you miss out on some possibilities or even entire "questlines".

The game was hard to get into at first for me, since it is only possible to play a girl, but after the first chapter it became ok. The acting is quite good in most cases and except for a few derp instances the game delivers well.

I think I would certainly recommend it for an easy game if you are not in the mood for something difficult that requires a lot of effort. Note that the game is quite emotional and is well-written resulting in some teary eyes...

All in all, a good game for the genre, with some minor flaws.

Done with Bioshock I, two more to go!
Pretty interesting this one... a TON of environmental storytelling( gotta love them audio diaries), solid FPS mechanics with actually pretty good AI, lots of crazy people, good art&atmosphere and story with interesting, sometimes a bit heavy on social commentary.
Have to admit it dragged itself a couple of times, especially the last few levels, but still overall enjoyed it.

Finished Dragon's Dogma. It was fun. Main game got a bit easy by level 50 but there was some really tough end game content and there's an area I didn't get to because…. I don't like the single save. Especially when you do to the end game and that's literally it - game over, no more playing with that incarnation of your toon (or am I missing something?) I started a new game, got the option for the same toon, got all her gear and powers but was level 1 and at the start of the game again.

Being a console port the number of abilities for each class is a little small, plus you can only slot 6 of them at any one time, something I really dislike in console games*. Casting the sorcerer's epic spells never got old, it felt a bit easy to get them however.

On the other hand the game looks good, has some nice fight mechanics and I really like the pawn system, both for building a party and for populating the world with NPC's. Probably the best new feature I've seen in an RPG for a while.

Will play again - if only so I can do the end game as a sorcerer having changed to a Mystic Archer, then not being able to change back and because of the single save not being able to go back to before defeating the dragon.

*Edit - oh yeah I really hate games that make you go somewhere or do something to change your slotted abilities. If your toon has learnt how to do something then why the heck do I have to go all the way back to the main city or some other location miles away from where I'm adventuring to change which power I have slotted? Annoying.

Last edited:
Just finished ashes of arieandal. (DS3 DLC)

A bit disappointing considering how good their DLC was for their first 2 games. Very short, only 2 bosses and the new areas were pretty bland. Also too easy although I might have been over leveled. Level 205 on NG+++.

The PVP and match making is a nice addition though. 3 on 3 battles or 6 person free for all is awesome. I'm guessing this is where most of thier efforts for this DLC went. Hopefully the next DLC will be meatier for the single player crowd.

FAR HARBOR-DLC

Just finished Far Harbor, Falllout 4 DLC. Too bad the rest of the game wasn't as well thought out as this addition. 3 factions, skill checks, choice and consequences, the whole 9 yards. If all of F4 was this well written and populated, the game would be amazing. The basic story is you try to find a way for Far Harbor, Synths, and Children of Atom to coexist or stir things up so they try to wipe each other out. Fun game that take about 20 hours to play through, more if you're a completest. I've done most of the quests, but there are still several landmarks that I haven't visited. Some of the new monsters are deadly. Don't visit without Power Armor, or at least a Hazmat at the minimum. Rads will kill you quick out here.

Just finished The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel… what an awesome game, entered in my personal top 5 list. It is sort of like Persona 3/4 in that you're in a school with classmates, and you talk to them and other people in town for the length of a year. Gameplay is turnbased, no random encounters, you can see enemies and run around them if you don't want to fight them. Also always challenging (at least for me) as you can't overlevel. As for the story, it's basically going through your school training, visiting different locations as part of your training and helping people there, but as you do it, you start learning and noticing all the different internal factions in the country (i.e nobles vs. reformists with the capitalists neutrally in the back).
It ends in a cliff-hanger, so guess I need to play Cold Steel 2 soon.

Dishonored 2

Played as Emily and the Steam beta patch.

Let start with the bad. None-lethal approach has less contextual animation as lethal ones which make it kinda boring to use considering the amount of guards around. Some of the levels have the first game issue of being spliced into multiple maps. It doesn't happen as much as in the first game, but it tend to make advancing through the mission linear and it bother me. The story feels a bit rushed in place too, you don't get to interact with NPCs that much. There is also no center hub like in the first game which I found a bit annoying.

Now the good. I've been seeing people saying the story is similar to the first game and I don't see it. Sure you get kicked out of your royal throne and you have to take it back, but the story is a lot more creepy and has a lot more mystical elements.

As much as none-lethal has few animations, combat feels good with lots of contextual animations and opportunities. Saying that there is way of fighting and not killing them, it's just a bit slower. Stealth is hard too, lots of guards, lots of guards on patrol, lots of guards wondering why X or Y have been shut down or why another guard is missing. That's just at the start, later you get the clockwork soldiers to deal with and other things. There is a bunch of stuff in the environment that can help you too like throwable bottles that does various things.

I mentioned how some mission levels are split into different section in the bad, they all have things in commons: a first section with some side objective (kinda like a mini hub), a black market you need to find and the main mission area. Lots of places to explore though and missions aren't always "kill X". Two of the levels are standouts: a clockwork mansion that is a marvel of level design (some hates it because section changes when you activate triggers. I loved it) and another one that is amazing tech wise but explaining would spoil the story.

Finally, quest objectives are lies…always explore for alternatives. ;)

Finished Witcher 3! Well, the main game. I still have the two DLC to get through.

I managed to get a happy ending. Except I got killed by that fool forktail! *facepalm*

Will play again - if only so I can do the end game as a sorcerer having changed to a Mystic Archer, then not being able to change back and because of the single save not being able to go back to before defeating the dragon.
Huh? You can change back any time. I bounced back and forth between Mystic Archer and Sorcerer.

More to the point, though… it doesn't sound like you got to the end. There's some nasty stuff after that dragon. Plus there's that whole "Dark Arisen" dungeon - rather repetitive rooms but the monsters are great fun. (Even that one has a double ending - you have to go through it twice to get the 'true final boss'. I managed to get to that boss but couldn't even begin to defeat it.) My character ended up at level 112!

Finished the main campaign of neverwinter nights 2 3 days ago, finally replayed it after 9 years hehe; story was nothing special but somehow the events your going trough kept me very interested, also liked the companions. I had to play it on normal because the party management was terribly annoying in combat and not only.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom