RPGWatch - Masquerada Early Preview

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Aubrielle has an early waltz with Masquerada: Songs and Shadows, and hopes the composers strike the right chords later on. Here is a quote from the preview.

It always seemed like all the other kids liked Disney cartoons more than me. I hated them. The singing always seemed so silly, the plotlines were predictable, and the sad songs always seemed so pointless. They'd show them in grade school and it was like a bad broadway musical that would never end. I was never sure if I preferred schoolwork or not. And I hated schoolwork. But when I played the press build of Masquerada: Songs and Shadows, I thought back to those movies with a slightly different take.
More information.

Yes and yes! This looks like a game I want to play. It has bit of a Bastion/Transistor vibe but still rocks its own style. Definitely looking forward to it.

if its missing the gray mature character development - dialogs. im not tasting it.
looks good though

Release next year... looks promising, but i doubt i will remember about it next year.

Yes and yes! This looks like a game I want to play. It has bit of a Bastion/Transistor vibe but still rocks its own style. Definitely looking forward to it.

That's actually an excellent comparison! I didn't even consider that, but it's absolutely got the same vibe. ^.^

It's a shame this game is missing a proper inventory and character customisation.
Otherwise it looks lovely and it feature RTwP combat. More games like this please.

Also I agree with disney movies been annoying. would brofist if I could.

Since this isn't the codex, we have real live girls at this site and Aubrielle happens to be one. A "brofist" wouldn't really be appropriate :p

Since this isn't the codex, we have real live girls at this site and Aubrielle happens to be one. A "brofist" wouldn't really be appropriate :p

Codex? I meant brofist IRL.
Too much people here are obsessed with the neck beards.
And haven't you read Barney Stinson's books?

Looks pretty good, but they don't mention a release date :/

I'm curious about how this one turns out. I'm worried it may be too streamlined for me, but I'll try to keep an open mind.

That's kind of my feelings as well. No inventory, for one, is a tough pill to swallow being a diehard RPG fan. We'll just have to wait and see how it plays out. :)

I'm sad to admit that I didn't come away with a whole lot - my play session was actually pretty short, and the build I played was the same one they showed off at PAX East, so it was basically just a slightly-playable sneak peek. Though to address what everyone has said:

1. Unfortunately, the game is still (as of my article) in early alpha. Release is still TBA.

2. The game did feel streamlined. I don't know if it was just because WHS only had time to polish a small alpha build for PAX East, or if it's hinting at the style of the game as a whole. There wasn't a whole lot of dialogue choice in the alpha, but there may be later on. Sadly, as Edgy pointed out, it did lack character customization, and because I'm getting the sense that the characters are integral to the story, I doubt that's something they add. Which is a shame - I'd like to have seen that too.

Last edited:
Oh wow. Now I feel silly. I edited that interview!

Sorry, Couch, and everyone. They clearly say they won't have an inventory system. A lot of you remembered this, and I didn't. I stand corrected.

Heya all! I'm Ian from Witching Hour. Firstly, thank you so much for the write up, Aubrielle! I thought I'd chime in at this point if anyone has questions. =)

Last edited:
Heya all! I'm Ian from Witching Hour. Firstly, thank you so much for the write up, Aubrielle! I thought I'd chime in at this point if anyone has questions. =)

I have some questions.
Is the story of the game get concluded by the end or will it be chopped like banner saga/earthlock into multiple parts?
Will there be any dialog choices to be made?
How would you describe your game:
Is it linear set pieces where you let the story guide you around or is it hub based where you have some choices where to go?

Hey Ian, and thanks for joining us! :)

Hey Ian, and thanks for joining us! :)

Cheers! I've always loved the energy on the boards here. =)

I have some questions.
Is the story of the game get concluded by the end or will it be chopped like banner saga/earthlock into multiple parts?
Will there be any dialog choices to be made?
How would you describe your game:
Is it linear set pieces where you let the story guide you around or is it hub based where you have some choices where to go?

The story is concluded by the end. It'll also serve as a springboard if we wanna continue developing the campaign world since enough of the lore and world is explored in this instalment.

I guess I can answer the next two questions together: It'll be a linear story, so not much on the choices front. We picked this option due to budget constraints - having many choices means we'd be investing in content that people won't experience. It was that or have the whole game fully voiced professionally. We picked voice acting since we'd rather give everyone a tight, enjoyable experience.

I promise though, if this works out, the next instalment will have all the good stuff we expect from an RPG. Dialogue choices, multiple endings, inventory and the likes. We're restraining ourselves right now since we're already taking a huge risk with this endeavour. Witching Hour is a tiny studio in Singapore, so we thought it best not to bit off more than we could chew.

Back
Top Bottom