Things you don't need to know...

Hey now, that movie's not that old!

Clap your hands everybody
Everybody clap your hands
We're Lambda Lambda Lambda and
Omega Mu
I had heard of the movie, never watched it though.
I didn't know what you were talking about, dteowner, so I searched your lines and ended up watching YouTube.
O - M - G.
I hope I'll sleep well tonight.

Last edited:
I had heard of the movie, never watched it though.
I didn't know what you where talking about, dteowner, so I searched your lines and ended up watching YouTube.
O - M - G.
I hope I'll sleep well tonight.
It could have been worse. I could have given you the belching contest. Interesting side note which actually brings the post back to topic, the audio for Booger's belch is supposedly a recording of 2 camels doing the shag-nasty.

Where are they now

Scorpions can seemingly survive A-Bombs, too. Perhaps he took their secrets ?

So, now, "The Witcher 3" is called "Wild Hunt".

This sub-title sounds somewhat odd to most of you I guess, but it has a deep background : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_hunt

If you have taken a look at it, please look at the "see also" part of that entry ! You'd be surprised where it leads to !

One thing, however, isn't really there, and that is the Harlequin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlequin

For others the origins of the name remain uncertain. One of the origins postulated for the modern Harlequin is Hellequin, a stock character in French passion plays. Hellequin, a black-faced emissary of the devil, is said to have roamed the countryside with a group of demons chasing the damned souls of evil people to Hell. The physical appearance of Hellequin offers an explanation for the traditional colours of Harlequin's mask (red and black).[3][4]

The German-language article has an even more fascinating entry, however :

Die Herkunft dieser Figur ist nicht vollständig zu klären. Ende des 11. Jahrhunderts berichtet der Chronist Ordericus Vitale, dass er als später Wanderer an der normannischen Küste von einer „Dämonenschar“ verfolgt worden sei. Diese sei von einem wild aussehenden, vermummten, mit einer Keule bewaffneten Riesen angeführt worden. Diese Legende ist bekannt als „wilde Jagd der Herlekin-Leute“ oder „familia herlequin“, welche einsame Menschen nachts erschreckten. Diese weit verbreitete Vorstellung reicht vom germanischen Odinsgefolge bis zum stillen Nebelstreif in Goethes Ballade vom Erlkönig. Diese verschiedenen Vorstellungen haben gemeinsam, dass ihre Attribute zumeist Tiermaskeraden, Gebell, Tosen und Kreischen etc. sind. Diese dämonischen, teuflischen Züge vererbten sich an den derben Spaßmacher und Possenreißer Harlekin, in Form der Hörnerkappe und der schwarzen Halbmaske oder fratzenhaften Mimik.

This tale isn't in the English-language article about Ordericus Vitalis.

This German-language quote from de.wikipedia.org says that Ordericus Vitalis told/reported that during an lonesome wandering he was being chased by a group of demons, which had been led by a wild looking giant, who had a club and was masked or in disguise.
The German-language entry says that this tale is known as the "wild hunt of the Herlekin-people" or "familia herlequin", who would frighten lonely people at night.
The entry also says that this goes from the followers of Odin to an "silent mist lining" the Erlkönig of Goethe. Their attributes are loudness, animal masks, barking, roaring, crying and others.
And finally, this entry says that all of this was inherited by the figure of the Harlequin, which also has a mask, and is acting like a rather bad being.

I found this out once during the researching for the origins of the song "Harlequin" by Genesis.
Because this song contains (indirect) images of an "wild hunt" as well.

Today is saturday and pibbur is back in good ol'Norway. Which means that the Today is thread goes back into hibernation (at least concerning contributions from pibbur).

In the meantime there is of course the TYDNTK thread, where there actually are some items bubbling up from the abyss.

You know the saying: "In Rome, do what the romans do". And one of the things the romans did was speaking Latin. And it turns out that the saying isn't a direct translation from the english phrase.

Here's what they, or more specifically Aurelius Ambrosiu said: "si fueris Rōmae, Rōmānō vīvitō mōre; si fueris alibī, vīvitō sicut ibi" which translates to the longer (and imo richer) phrase: ""if you were in Rome, (you will) live in the Roman way; if you were elseweyr, (you will) live as they do there". The shorter english version is yet another example of dumbing down things.

One interesting thing above: the the word "alibi" in the original text. It translates to "elseweyr". So when someone has an alibi, they were somewhere else at the time of the crime. Now, as readers and connaisseurs of crime fiction, we all know that nobody is more likely to have committed the crime than those who weren't there. But it's interesting none the less.

Another latin phrase: "Mille viae ducunt homines per saecula Romam" or "A thousand roads lead men forever to Rome", claimed by "Alanus ab Insulis" in his book published 250 years after his death the "Doctrinale altum seu liber parabolarum". There is of course a dumbed down version, both in Latin and English: "Omnes viae Romam ducunt" - "all roads lead to Rome". Terry Pratchett offers an alternative interpretation: "Actually, all roads lead away from Rome, it's just that some people are going the wrong way". Makes sense.

pibbur who realizes after talking to his daughter that doctors' latin is just a joke in more culturally elevated circles. And that organizers, unlike any other entry can have as many subentries as they want using the COMP entry relationship.

Last edited:
"Alibi" exists in German language as well. I know of an bookstore in Cologne, which carries nothing but Krimi books (detective stories, criminal investigation stories, thrillers - all of that stuff is called "Krimi" in German language) : http://www.alibikrimi.de/

Pibbur is booooooooooored.

Here's the reason why: As I've told you before and you've probably forgotten: The group of hospitals his department is working for has decided to purchase a vendor neutral archive for images-and-videos-and-sounds-and-other-things-but-not-radiology… in short a digital media archive, DMA among friends. We want to store all of them in a central location, so that we don't loose them and they're available for everyone who has a legitimate need for them. And now the tenders are in.

Which means that pibbur has a lot of stuff to read, very carefully in order to evaluate them. This takes time!! You'll be glad to know that he can't tell you who the tenderers are, not even how many they are, because he's not allowed to.But… this takes time. And it's kind of tedious. And pibbur is getting tired.

….

pibbur who says hatee-hatee-hatee-ho

We want to store all of them in a central location,

Keep away from capital towns - just in case of a war occurring ... I always find it sad to see how much was lost in the museums of Berlin during WWII ... And I learned that one of van Gogh's sunflower paintings was burned in Japan because of american bombers attacking tbe town ... and the painting being too heavy to evacuate quickly (because of its frame, sadly) ...

The case of the archive of Cologne should be something you should be aware of as well, imho. It's a sad tale as well.
A look back to it : http://www.spiegel.de/international...ollapse-disaster-for-historians-a-611311.html

Oh, thank you.

Ask the NSA, perhaps they have some additional space left ? ;)

It's Springtime again in Melbourne, and as I complained in this thread last year, it's the worst time of year to be a Melbournian IMHO. The temperature has swung from high twenties to mid-to-low-teens. At time it's been dry, at others it's been very wet.
It's gastro season.
It's hay fever season.
It's the windiest time of year.
It's bird swooping season - usually only the Magpies swoop, and the occasional Plover. But the other day, as I rode home on my bicycle, I was set upon by a Honeyeater. When Honeyeaters turn against us, then you know that mother nature is not happy.

On that note there have been major bushfires in New South Wales, which has prompted some discussion around the link between these drastic weather related events and climate change. Our newly elected Prime Minister was heard to say that the Executive Secretary of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change - Christiana Figueres - was 'talking through her hat' on the subject when she made the connection.

What does that even mean?

What do we know about Leonardo? A few works and a notebok. Luckily, some do try to learn more, and based on his sketches, a "wacky piano" was created:
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...irst-time-after-500-years-20131118-2xpqs.html
Imagine the impact on the music if this was actually built 500 years ago.

Meanwhile, there is an ongoing research on the certain composer who's few works I was lucky to hear on a baroque festival:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francesco_Sponga
What was played there was so insane and unbelievably good, I couldn't believe how fresh it felt, not like other classic stuff but like something made in upcoming years of this century.
Do we really need another classic composer recovered since we have billionsearning Lady Gaga? Dunno about you, but I say yes!

That is a really neat instrument. I'd love to hear it in person.

Sounds to me almost like an Mellotron several hundreds of years in the past.

Back
Top Bottom