Gothic 3 Disabling tree and grass animation

Geist

Watchdog
Hi,
Sorry if this question has already been answered, but I couldn't find anything as of yet. Is there a way to toggle the swaying of grass and trees in Gothic 3?
In Oblivion, adding the line 'fGrassWindMagnitudeMax=0.0000' to the ini got rid of the grass swaying animations, which gave a big boost to framerates.

Search the ge3.ini for "gras" or "grass". Maybe the motions can be disabled. You can definitely turn off shadows for trees and buildings. Saves quite a lot of CPU cycles.

I think this could be refering to Speedtree.
HiddenX might know if this can be done, I wouldn't mind trying to disable it if there isn't much progress made with framerates in the next patch.

I wonder what would happen if you reduced the Speedtree memory usage to near zero?
I think I have looked in the past and don't see a swtich to turn it off directly.

Disable grass only(in ge3.ini):

change

VegetationAdmin.ViewRange=3500.0

to

VegetationAdmin.ViewRange=0.0

Thanks HiddenX. I don't really want to disable the grass, though - just stop it from animating.

For this game, I think the trees would actually be more important than the grass. Oblivion was full of very tall swaying grass, but in Gothic 3 the grass is mostly pretty short. However, some of the larger trees seem to have literally hundreds of leaves which are in perpetual motion, and as a result the lighting is constantly adjusting to this movement. Obviously, this uses up a lot of processing power. I would rather do without such an effect, and instead use the extra CPU/GPU cycles to crank up the view distance, texture quality etc.

I've looked through the ge3.ini as well as through the console commands listed on the world of gothic website, but haven't found anything that looks useful (there were a few commands, however, that didn't have descriptions).
It's a shame that neither Bethesda, nor PB bothered to include an option to easily allow the user to disable such a processor intensive feature.
I guess it's a matter of taste, though. Since I live in a mountainous area, when I go for a walk in the forest, the leaves and grass are usually pretty static. If I lived out on the plains where the vegetation is constantly blowing in the wind, I might think differently;)

Back
Top Bottom