What Game Should I Play Next?

But the controls, terrible. Unfortunately, GOG screws up again, and only provides the basic original UK version. But if you want to remap your keys in game using the enhanced US version, the help on modifying the GOG install to do so described on the GOG forums was no good. It ruined the speech audio on my Win 64 machine. However, the following approach works fine:

Changing key-bindings in Realms of the Haunting (UK release)

I now have normal WASD FPS controls. Yay! Mapped Q and E to turn left and right. Also, holding down both mouse buttons gives you mouse free look ala standard FPS's of today. :)

I just used AutoHotkey to remap the bindings. It's easy to use and can toggled on/off with a few mouse clicks. I've been using it for years on games that don't allow me to rebind keys to my preference.

Realms of the Haunting is a pretty cool game though. It combine first-person gameplay with point & click adventure in a way that few games have. I didn't care for the combat, but I loved exploring that mansion.

Exploration and puzzles/secrets is the bees knees. And great freaky story. But the combat sucks, quite frankly. It's a fucking panic. Especially when you are locked in a little room with 5 enemies. Lots of dodging. ;)

Autohotkeys appears to break stuff like naming game saves and DOSBox commands. Seems too heavy handed, with DOSBox also affected. Looks like a significant learning curve, too. One day I will try it out though.

Autohotkeys appears to break stuff like naming game saves and DOSBox commands. Seems too heavy handed, with DOSBox also affected. Looks like a significant learning curve, too. One day I will try it out though.

Where do you see that? I've never experienced any of those things in the years I've used it.

No, just that your typical repsonse is so tiresome... Use your head for once, and think about what mapping WASD to the arrow keys would do to trying to name saved games, or DOSBox commands that use those keys... :rolleyes:

So you have to know in advance how key mapping will screw up something else so you can toggle it off. Shitty solution if you ask me. Way too fiddly for my tastes. Last choice.

You guys make me appear non-stubborn, and I appreciate that!

Keep it up guys!

Back
Top Bottom