The Hobbit Movie - Being Done By Jackson

I think the movies were rather superb for book adaptations. My beef was with the ending of the last one (30 minutes or so of sappiness afte the ring is destroyed, and no sacking of the Shire) and the battles at Pelennor fields/Black Gate.

I've followed Peter Jacksons work since Meet the Feebles and Bad taste, and I'm very confident that he will produce a quality version of the Hobbit. It would be nice if it had more of a King Kong than a LotR feel to it though...

First of all; I'm very pleased that so many of the regular posters are in favor of the movies (I was a bit afraid at the beginning of this thread that the Watch should change name to GrumpyOldGeezersWhoDislikesEverything :biggrin:).

I clearly remember an interview in the bonus material on the Fellowship DVD with John Rhys Davis (Gimli) where he explains some of the difference between written text and movies. In his example he mentions the parting scene where the Fellowship is leaving Lothlorien and each receives a gift from Galadriel. In the written form it is not a problem for Gimli to receive 3 hairs plucked from the Elf Queen's head but how the heck do you show a metal gauntlet grasping 3 flimsy hairs on screen without making it looking ridiculous?

ARAGORN (cont'd)
There is still hope for Frodo. He needs
time and safe passage across the Plains of
Gorgoroth. We can give him that.

I don't have the book next to me so I can't look it up, but to me that passage clearly reads:
"There is still hope for Frodo. He needs time and safe passage across the Plains of Gorgoroth SO HE CAN DESTROY THE RING. We can give him that."

Maybe I'm not very good with hints and implied meanings (actually I KNOW I'm not) but I never even considered interpreting this passage otherwise. Yes, they are willing to draw out the armies of Mordor to give Frodo the best possible chance of completing his mission but that's because Frodo's mission is to destroy The Ring.

GrumpyOldGeezersWhoDislikesEverything

So it's just grumpiness? Oh, good. For a moment, I thought you were being intolerant of other opinions, even while expressing your own.

Last edited:
I regard personally the LOTR movies as astistical interpretations of the books.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Alrik, what is "astistical " ? :)

@fatbastard: Being Grumpy is a time-honored privilege of geezerhood, but it certainly is also present in RPG fanhood to a marked degree regardless of age. I don't know if the board has totally dodged that bullet, but as always, we get marks on attempting to play well with others :)

Last edited:
Hey, you're preaching to the Choir here. My main goal in life is to become the cranky old fart with the cane and the rocking chair on the porch who yells at children stealing apples from my apple tree :shakefist:

All I need now is a cane, a porch, an apple tree, a rocking chair and a few more years and I'm all set ;)

Hey, you're preaching to the Choir here. My main goal in life is to become the cranky old fart with the cane and the rocking chair on the porch who yells at children stealing apples from my apple tree :shakefist:

All I need now is a cane, a porch, an apple tree, a rocking chair and a few more years and I'm all set ;)

You can have mine when I'm finished with them!! :)

I think the movies were rather superb for book adaptations. My beef was with the ending of the last one (30 minutes or so of sappiness afte the ring is destroyed, and no sacking of the Shire) and the battles at Pelennor fields/Black Gate.

I've followed Peter Jacksons work since Meet the Feebles and Bad taste, and I'm very confident that he will produce a quality version of the Hobbit. It would be nice if it had more of a King Kong than a LotR feel to it though...

Completely agree with you, but for me there was also another thing not very well explained: the line of kings. Gandalf talks about it against Peppin at Minas Tirith in the movie, but it wasn't clear how the line of Kings begun in Gondor -> Elendil and Isildur have been seen in the movie, but not Isildurs brother who became the first king of Gondor. It was a very confusing thing and I think they should have left it out of the movie.
And the other thing is that they don't specify that between Frodo's departure and Bilbo's birthday 30 years have passed. I know this wasn't easy to implement it either, but why mentioning the other years (a year for the fellowship to reach his goal, 4 years to Frodo leave Middle Earth)

I have to say that I only watch the extended versions now and I don't remember the cinematic one(except that I found it much worse)

@Sam: How the hell did they make a pic of Corwin as a traffic sign :biggrin:

That's not me, it's my twin brother!! :biggrin:

I guess with my being one of the oldest here, then that makes me one of the "old men". I don't consider myself terribly grumpy though. I find that most folks that like LotR movies are Jackson fans. I was not. There were aspects of the films I liked, but taken as a whole, I was disappointed. There is a beauty and nobility to the characters of the books that I think was trivialized in the movies to appeal to the Rambo crowd.

I'm not complaining necessarily, I still have the books and the BBC radio production to fall back upon, so it doesn't ruin my life that Jackson's films don't come up to my expectations.

Alrik, what is "astistical " ? :)

Sorry, meant "artistical" and actually changed the word 2 or 3 times to check whether it was right spelled/written, no joke. ;)

Sadly, the last incarnation was wrong again ...

I guess with my being one of the oldest here, then that makes me one of the "old men". I don't consider myself terribly grumpy though. I find that most folks that like LotR movies are Jackson fans. I was not. There were aspects of the films I liked, but taken as a whole, I was disappointed. There is a beauty and nobility to the characters of the books that I think was trivialized in the movies to appeal to the Rambo crowd.

I'm not complaining necessarily, I still have the books and the BBC radio production to fall back upon, so it doesn't ruin my life that Jackson's films don't come up to my expectations.
Here's at least one that proves your view wrong -> I'm no Jacksonfan, in fact I didn't even know him before LotR. Still, like I posted here before, the general feeling was that this movie certainly has his moments. That those moments differ from the books isn't such a problem for me because imo a movie should bring other things to the background/foreground (don't know weather that last one is a word, but you get the picture.)

Here's at least one that proves your view wrong -> I'm no Jacksonfan, in fact I didn't even know him before LotR. Still, like I posted here before, the general feeling was that this movie certainly has his moments. That those moments differ from the books isn't such a problem for me because imo a movie should bring other things to the background/foreground (don't know weather that last one is a word, but you get the picture.)

Not sure how that proves his view wrong, he said "most fans", he didn't say everyone.

I agree with him for the most part, I felt the movies were entertaining by themselves, but were lacking when compared to the books. Some of the plot changes that Jackson made were quite annoying to me, and I fail to comprehend why he thought they would make the movie better.

+1 for loving the films. I've read LoTR 4 times and as much as I enjoy them I find them to be in dire need of a decent editor. Sometimes I wonder if anyone read the material prior to publication. How can folks critique Jackson when JRR sets the stage and then wraps up the Pelennor fields battle with a single sentence? Helms deep is what, 11 pages if that? He spends more time describing mountains than all the battles combined.

Again, love the books dearly, but they are not beyond reproach.

Did he a poll for it? Nope, so I can hardly accept this statement as a fact.

Huh? He said,

I find that most folks that like LotR movies are Jackson fans.

meaning that is what he has encountered in his own experiences, I wasn't aware he needed a poll to justify that.

Personally I think he - Mr. Jackson - just wanted to transport the things / aspects of the books into the movie he believed to be important - to be important for an essential and complete experience of what happens in the movies books - from his point of view.

So - he just has a certain "look" at things, a special and very personal way how to perceive the essence of something - books in this case - like we all do.

We call this "interpretation".

He just set out what he perceived into his movies in the way be helieved it is right - for his point of view.

That some people might not like certain points of his movies - me, for example, I didn't like this "diving" into the mines of Saruman - was - as i think - from his perspective irrelevant oir not important, because it was HIS interpretation and not someone else's.

Back
Top Bottom