Fallout: New Vegas - Patches Incoming

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Pete Hines has told Kotaku that patches for all versions of Fallout 3 will come out "as quickly as possible", in an response to an article they posted on bugs:
Patches are coming. Pete Hines, marketing man at Fallout studio Bethesda Softworks, tells Kotaku that "We are currently working on releasing patches/updates as quickly as possible for Fallout: New Vegas, for all platforms. Announcements regarding the patches are forthcoming." He advises anyone seeing this head-turning bug to re-verify their files on Steam, as the issue is due to a "corrupt mesh file." Also notable: The head-turning bug here was highlighted two days ago in a blog post by one of the game's producers, who identified it as a known bug that was "eradicated" prior to the game's official release.
There are also a couple of posts on the official forums:
Just wanted to let everyone know, we are currently working on releasing patches/updates as quickly as possible for Fallout: New Vegas, for all platforms. Announcements regarding the patches are forthcoming.
...and on Steamcloud problems:
Spoke with some folks at our office and if you were experiencing issues with Steam Cloud that affected your save games or game settings, these should now be resolved.

To check to see if you're still having an issue, open the Fallout: New Vegas launcher. Make a change to any setting and quit out of your game. If your setting changes haven't saved, quit out of Steam and restart the application. This should then solve the issue.

In the event that you're unable to to load the launcher at all (and it's crashing), delete all of your .INI files for New Vegas and then relaunch the game.
In other news, CVG has a video of the first 20 minutes if you don't have the game yet and want to spoil yourself.
More information.

The game is quite buggy. I have encountered with two bugs so far. One a stuttering poblem when turning my head to a certain way in the main world. It's a problem with Nvidia cards and you need to turn water bla bla to low level to avoid this.

And second heavy clipping when encountering a NPC. It can be solved with a little file transfer.

Performance is terrible for the PC version. There's a community-made d3d9.dll patch (104 KB) fix floating around that roughly doubles the frames per second. The game overwriting the ini files is very annoying, even with steamcloud disabled. The mouse acceleration issue is something that should have been fixed *years* ago before even Fallout 3. There's a good game in there though. I don't think Obsidian worked on optimizing and bug fixing the engine at all. Egg all over their face right now and it's deserved.

I dont know.

Game works perfectly on my aging PC (Geforce 8800 gt) all maxed.

I guess im just lucky.

But regardless of bugged or not. What a great game :D

I've had on major crash where the computer rebooted, a couple of miner ones and a highly irritating problem with saved games disappearing, but other then that I think it'll be a great game.

Game is getting panned on Amazon for having too many bugs. Will wait until bugs are fixed and game is more polished before buying this one. Obsidian seems to be putting together a buggy track record.

All this uproar is caused by a guy somehow running a "pre-release" (read: pirate) version and then showing the bugs on youtube.

I've experienced a few problems too:
- When turning around in the world it stutters, even though if FPS is fluid when watching a single direction. Very noticeable on Ultra settings, less on High. And I got a hefty PC, that runs Fallout 3(and any other game) maxed with no problems.
- When talking to an NPC every now and then everything becomes a slideshow. Game returns to normal speed as soon as I exit the conversation.
- Went into VATS and couldn't select anything

It sounds like I should have waited a little before ordering this...too late now! It should be here tomorrow. I don't understand wjhy they don't QA thes things properly - I mean they're building on established tech right (the FO3 engine)? There should only be really exotic bugs left at this stage.

It sounds like I should have waited a little before ordering this…too late now! It should be here tomorrow. I don't understand wjhy they don't QA thes things properly - I mean they're building on established tech right (the FO3 engine)? There should only be really exotic bugs left at this stage.
The Bethesda permutation of the Gamebryo engine (Which itself is incredibly stable, look at Civ IV) has been buggy and unstable since the Oblivion days. Fallout 3 was more optimised and more stable, but it still suffered from a lot of bugs and issues.

Obsidian aren't great technical wizards, and this is only the third game made using Bethesda's modifications. They're stuck with a buggy engine, and no doubt they've added their own (As would be perfectly natural). They're not a bad studio, but they haven't had a lot of good luck. Luckily Bethesda and Oblivion are working hard to get the fixes out, though.

I've experienced a few problems too:
- When turning around in the world it stutters, even though if FPS is fluid when watching a single direction. Very noticeable on Ultra settings, less on High. And I got a hefty PC, that runs Fallout 3(and any other game) maxed with no problems.

What you are seeing is normal behavior in the game because it is dynamically loading the world as you move around. There's a high memory use mod for FO3 and hopefully that mod will come to NV so the game will have more RAM to play with so the symptom you are seeing will be minimized.

- When talking to an NPC every now and then everything becomes a slideshow. Game returns to normal speed as soon as I exit the conversation.

Yes this is happening to a lot of people. There's a console command (toggleEmotions) to turn off emotions as a temporary but effective fix.

- Went into VATS and couldn't select anything

Sometimes it needs three or more seconds and then it will start working.

For once I might actually wait a bit. Don't get me wrong, I'll buy it as soon as possible, but I'm currently enjoying Gothic 3 (v 1.74) a lot and I wouldn't mind waiting a patch or two. It seems the game will greatly benefit from such patches.

Game works perfectly on my aging PC (Geforce 8800 gt) all maxed.

I guess im just lucky.

+1
Only one difference, I'm playing it on 9600GT all maxed.

But I just started it so dunno if the problems appear later. I'll patch it just to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom