Elder Scrolls Online - Three Million Beta Sign-ups

Quit simple really Blizzard has all become about online play and services. I'm sure you don't have a problem with that. I and others do. The day every game requires me to be online, and on a server I'm quitting gaming. Call it a pet peeve of mine.;)

I totally understand. I was just curious why people didn't like Blizzard.

That pricing model appeals to old school MMORPG players like me, not casuals who want solo/single player games like GW2 or TESO.

Yep. If it's single player/solocentric, it will bleed players like every game that's tried the subscription formula tacked on with shortlived content. And shortlived it will be if it doesn't encourage grouping while thinking it can keep pace with players devouring content. Friendships keep people playing. Other casual, solo-centric games such as GW2 and (now) Secret World keep their players by not requiring a sub and allowing them to quit and come back at their leisure..

I wonder if a game like EQ1 or Vanguard would have a chance today (ok, Vanguard was doomed from the start), now that players have come to expect a single player online game from MMOs.

Got nothing to do with dark & gritty, that's the Witcher.

People like Skyrim because it's a bit sandboxy, got nice graphics and support modding.

Yes, but it has almost no colours - at least according to the screenshots I saw. I didn't buy it yet because of Steam.

I totally understand. I was just curious why people didn't like Blizzard.

Me, I don't like Blizzard because of their overwhelming influence over the whole RPG genre - and the gaming industry as such ("following the trail of the money ...").

And shortlived it will be if it doesn't encourage grouping while thinking it can keep pace with players devouring content.

This :wry:

Something has been lost in a translation Alric. In this context "dark" signifies game's mood and not the lack of colour. Skyrim certainly can't be considered either dark or gritty.

Last edited:
I'd like to think that a new game, with the hardcore approach like EQ1, would find lots of people willing to play it. I'm just not sure if I'd be right, but I guarantee I'd at least give it a shot. EQ2 is giving me just enough to stay, for now.

-Carn

Skyrim certainly can't be considered either dark or gritty.

Really? I consider it quite dark (at times) and with an overall gritty feel and atmosphere. The visual aesthetic is very gritty, IMO. Everything from how the NPCs look to the building architecture and landscape.

I'd like to think that a new game, with the hardcore approach like EQ1, would find lots of people willing to play it. I'm just not sure if I'd be right, but I guarantee I'd at least give it a shot. EQ2 is giving me just enough to stay, for now.
The problem is the same as with single-player games. Everyone thinks they can make far more money by appealing to everyone, instead of just the hardcores. And for the most part, they're right. Small teams can make lower-budget games that appeal to the hardcores though, and still make good profits from it since the budget was small to begin with (best current example: Legend of Grimrock). Probably any new MMO targetted at the hardcores would similarly have to be a low-budget affair. And making MMOs on a low budget is problematic.

Back
Top Bottom