Seven Dragon Saga - Magic & More

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
TSI released the seventh kickstarter update today for Seven Dragon Saga with more information on the games magic system with Lead Designer David Shelley.

Magic and More

Backers continue to arrive and our totals are climbing. Keep putting out the word! Our Lead Designer has a piece discussing some of the details of the Magic System for SDS.

David Shelley, The Elements of Magic

Characters start with magic by selecting the Wizard Class, or one of the elemental Specialties. Spells each belong to one of the elements, and have a level from one to four. Each character starts with some spells of the levels they can cast, and can find additional spells while adventuring.

There are several types of magic in the world, but only the Touched (the player characters) can draw from the energies of Chaos, with its power and instability. We can talk about the sorts of magic which enemies and allies may use at a later time.
As for funding the game has made $75,023 of $450,000 goal.

More information.

There are two reasons I haven't backed this:

1. It doesn't look close to making it.
2. The devs have made it sound like the game will be made regardless of a successful kickstarter. Why would I put my money on the line then?

Nostalgia and for them to create without major investor influence is why I backed. I agree with you, does not look like they will make it.

There are two reasons I haven't backed this:

1. It doesn't look close to making it.

Sorry but this logic doesn't really make a lot of sense to me since you won't lose anything if it fails. :) But the funding trends do show it coming at least close to success.

Last edited:
I haven't decided whether to back this yet.
I just don't get a goldbox feel from it.

What I personally wanted from this game was a simple Pool of Radiance clone with high res graphics (not necessarily great graphics, just high res) and a decent UI.

I haven't decided whether to back this yet.
I just don't get a goldbox feel from it.

What I personally wanted from this game was a simple Pool of Radiance clone with high res graphics (not necessarily great graphics, just high res) and a decent UI.

Yes. To me that's a conundrum with this campaign. Thus far I like what they are showing, but really it's almost an entirely new game. Yet they're trying to sell it on the basis of nostalgia.

You could always try the Pool of Radiance Remastered mod for NWN2, assuming you had NWN2.

I love that they're not focusing solely on the Gold Box games, but are also giving indications that they're using even older SSI games like Wizards Crown and Eternal Dagger as inspiration for their game design.

Back in the day, SSI was known for games that had deeply strategic and tactical turn-based combat. They not only made great RPGs, but they were among the best in the strategy genre at the time.

The Gold Box games implemented the D&D ruleset well enough, but that ruleset only touched on the kind of deep tactical combat that SSI were masters at. Based on the latest update from today (the one that came after this newsbit item), it sounds like they plan to focus a great deal on offering deep tactical and strategic choices in how your team is set up, and how they can be utilized in combat.

I really think they need some updates where they go into some detail on some of these really old classics, what made them great, and how we can expect some of these concepts to carry forward in a modern turn-based game.

I have backed this enthusiastically and significantly, and I just wish that more people had some knowledge of the old SSI classics so they could understand how huge it is that this band is getting back together...

Sorry but this logic doesn't really make a lot of sense to me since you won't lose anything if it fails. :) But the funding trends do show it coming at least close to success.

I'd lose the time it takes to fill out the form :) I never allow it to save any of my data.

Back
Top Bottom