Diablo 3 - Screens and Artwork

Why are they releasing screenshots of the same areas and characters over and over? Are people really THAT desperate for news?

I guess that's how hype is built, but in my mind it would be a lot more efficient if they waited a few months in between news and had something fresh and cool to show. That would seem to get fans excited more efficiently than overexposure.

I guess that's just me.

Forgive me if I sound grumpy ;)

Wait a few months and let the Diablo 3 thing get cold? Not efficient. You gotta keep going on it, over and over. I guess you're not the typical consumer, but "overexposure" works much better than you'd think. Stop speaking about Diablo III for a few months and people go, "Diablo who?"

Wait a few months and let the Diablo 3 thing get cold? Not efficient. You gotta keep going on it, over and over. I guess you're not the typical consumer, but "overexposure" works much better than you'd think. Stop speaking about Diablo III for a few months and people go, "Diablo who?"

Sadly, you're probably right.

I doubt this. This name has created recognition beyond any measures, in my opinion.

It's like a well-known trademark now.

I doubt this. This name has created recognition beyond any measures, in my opinion.

It's like a well-known trademark now.

I think you're forgetting the biggest part of the playerbase today - which is the casual market. They don't know Diablo from Pacman and why would they.

It isn't so much the 'casual' market - about which there was a great article pointed out by Seamus Young - but the younger crowd in general.

To them Diablo II was released a millennium ago ... and the original feels older than their parents. To many console gamers in the 'sweet spot' of ~16 - 28, games last about as long as movies ... 4 weeks or so. Then they are forgotten and they want to know whuznext? whuznext? whuznext?

It isn't so much the 'casual' market - about which there was a great article pointed out by Seamus Young - but the younger crowd in general.

To them Diablo II was released a millennium ago ... and the original feels older than their parents. To many console gamers in the 'sweet spot' of ~16 - 28, games last about as long as movies ... 4 weeks or so. Then they are forgotten and they want to know whuznext? whuznext? whuznext?

I think toddlers should keep their priorities right. First: Stop using diapers. Then: Start playing games.

Actually, I disagree.

Since gaming became truly mainstream - the audience in general has become quite casual. That means that the average gamer doesn't necessarily know about Diablo 2, simply because the average gamer probably doesn't care about the history of the industry. It's the same reason I can enjoy the occasional game of soccer, but I wouldn't know anything about teams or leagues - because I haven't got the slightest interest beyond just having a bit of fun.

Age is a factor, naturally, but it's definitely true for older people as well.

Of course, if there was an older game that would be the exception to this rule, it would be Diablo (1 or 2). It's by Blizzard, after all.

But still, the poster who pointed out that you need to push the point home by repeatedly exposing your product was dead on. There's no need to take chances and it's obvious Blizzard REALLY want everyone to play their game.

I just get sick of it, really, as I'm not a big fan of hype.

The dark murky dungeon effects mixed with the improved contrast/clarity looks better than the previous set of shots when the prior discussion on dungeon graphics clarity was aired.

Having played D1and D2, G3 is a "must have" for me. Thanks for showing these latest artworks and screen shots, the game will be worth waiting for, it's looking great.

As a Diablo fan, please keep the info's and pic-shots coming however 'seemingly' insignificant. ;)

Since gaming became truly mainstream - the audience in general has become quite casual.

OK, I guess we agree - I was referring to the most recent push to separate 'casual' and 'hardcore' ... but the way you say it, it is more in line with the trend over the last several years, which I agree.

Back
Top Bottom