CVG - Baldur's Gate III Rumours

DnD 4E's combat rules seem tailored for computer games, I'd be surprised if Atari wasn't cooking 4E updates to most of its successful franchises.

you got it right there hoochi.

again I reiterate if there's substance to this rumour that it may be Obsidian as the developer.

In particular I bet Atari has picked up JE Sawyer's remake of Van Buren as a commercial product.

For all those BG3 haters out there, Van Buren was the code name for BG3 and nearly got finished.

I believe Sawyer has made the story different enough that Interplay would be in no position to sue to stop it. Besides, I don't believe they have the cash.

...We haven't heard nuthin' about JE Sawyer's attempt to remake Van Buren with the NWN2 engine in a long time. His pet side project may be the secret detail that we're missing here.

In particular I bet Atari has picked up JE Sawyer's remake of Van Buren as a commercial product.
Black Isle's Project Van Buren was was Fallout 3, not Baldur's Gate 3.

Black Isle's Baldur's Gate 3, a.k.a. Project Jefferson (IIRC), a.k.a. FR6, a.k.a. J.E. Sawyer's NWN2 mod The Black Hound was still under development as a hobby project last I checked, a few months ago. Sawyer makes posts along the lines of "it's still underway" every once in a while on the Obsidian forums when people prod him for a status update.

Ok I'm going to make this real simple.

The publisher has the final word about when a game will be released. If the developer tells the publisher that the deadline hasn't been met then the publisher has 2 choices. The first choice would be to extend the development time to insure that the product is 100% complete and entirely bug-free, or at least close to it.

The second choice is for the publisher to roll the dice and release the product as-is, because they want to see some profit sooner than later, and they don't care if the product reaches the level of quality that it could have. It's quite obvious what Atari's choice was.

You're being quite biased. Perhaps you should ask yourself why the developer didn't meet the deadline in the first place. I would call it an incompetent developer rather than a greedy publisher. And may I ask why do you so ignorantly blame everything on the publisher? They are a business. No more, no less. They can't finance a game beyond what they calculate as profitable. Have you ever asked yourself the question why they would release an unfinished game, when that would significantly damage their sales and brand?
It is their money. They don't owe the developer, you or me anything what so ever. Financing a game is connected with taking a financial risk, which puts the publisher in a different position. I would try to look at the events from the publishers' viewpoint instead of seeing them as the enemy. But publishers are an easy scapegoat, aren't they?

Troika had poor management because the three founders were creative developers rather than professional business men. This combined with the studio being highly understaffed led to poor productions and publishers that were forced to release unfinished games. The bigger image has three different publishers releasing three unfinished games by Troika. Not a single game was technically polished and not two games were published by the same publisher.

Last edited:
Microsoft? 2K Games? Bethesda? But hey, I hope I'm wrong about Atari. If they do indeed end up behind the operation for another BG game then I want it to be great, I'm just not confident that it will be.

LOL. OK, we're on different tracks. Neither of those would touch a game like BG3 in the format we understand with a 50-foot barge pole.

Black Isle's Project Van Buren was was Fallout 3, not Baldur's Gate 3.

Black Isle's Baldur's Gate 3, a.k.a. Project Jefferson (IIRC), a.k.a. FR6, a.k.a. J.E. Sawyer's NWN2 mod The Black Hound was still under development as a hobby project last I checked, a few months ago. Sawyer makes posts along the lines of "it's still underway" every once in a while on the Obsidian forums when people prod him for a status update

my mistake, I regularly mix up Jefferson and Van Buren. If they called them Fallout 3 and BG3 I wouldn't make that mistake.

The fact that we haven't heard about Black Hound lately is entirely my point as why this may be the source.

This wouldn't be the first time what was supposed to be a free mod suddenly went commercial. It makes total sense.

Last edited:
BioWare owns the Baldur's Gate trademark, at least according to the USPTO (personally, I doubt it would stand a challenge, especially since all the game boxes have the TMs being owned by WOTC, but IANAL) which would under normal circumstances make another BG game unlikely unless EA allows BioWare to work for Atari.

At present Atari's sole D&D (recently) registered TM is: Icewind Dale. Though they will presumably get BG:DA from Iply soon so if there is a title in development it's far more likely to be BG: Pithy Suffective, with a new story, than to be either a direct BG3 or an Icewind Dale.

You're being quite biased. Perhaps you should ask yourself why the developer didn't meet the deadline in the first place.

You seem to be missing the point entirely. It doesn't matter if the developer met the deadline or not, it was still Atari's decision to release an unfinished game.

I would call it an incompetent developer rather than a greedy publisher. And may I ask why do you so ignorantly blame everything on the publisher?.

Where did I ever indicate that I blamed "everything" on the publisher? I never said that Troika was faultless, I only stated facts that you chose to ignore. Speaking of ignorant....

They are a business. No more, no less. They can't finance a game beyond what they calculate as profitable. Have you ever asked yourself the question why they would release an unfinished game, when that would significantly damage their sales and brand?

I could easily use the exact same argument for Troika, why would they want to "pitch a game to a publisher with a shorter development cycle and less expensive budget than what is possible" when it's only going to come back and hurt them?

Face it, trying to shift 100% of the blame to Troika, which you so desperately seem to be trying to do for some reason, doesn't release Atari from being part of the debacle.

LOL. OK, we're on different tracks. Neither of those would touch a game like BG3 in the format we understand with a 50-foot barge pole.

Well I'm glad you seem to know that for a fact. It's a moot point anyways, as it is highly unlikely that Atari would ever allow that to happen.

It's quite obvious what Atari's choice was.

Yes, in the case of TEE it showed me that the responsibles within Atari/Infogrames do know not a thing about game development - or software development in general.

Drakensang, on the opposite, is so bug-free that it can drive one to tears (almost). ;)

I wouldn't put it past JE that he's just stringing people on while Obsidian is actually making a new BG.
SoZ ships in couple of months, Alpha Protocol is "early next year" (that's ~6 months), and Aliens is late next year. That means that their next projects after these titles, which is most likely at least two and given a 3-4 year production time are currently in late pre-production/early production. I'm just saying that they are in all likelyhood currently working on a couple of titles we haven't heard of yet.

Alternatively, since Aliens is releasing late next year and JE is the lead, he might not have time to really start working on TBH until late 2009.

Well I'm not sure what you are getting at Kazuke except to try and say with certainty that there is no way that Black Hound is this. I'm merely suggesting that it very well could be based on these facts:

1) Black Hound is an attempt to remake Jefferson which was going to be BG3

2) Its half made already

3) Obsidian and Atari seem to have good working relationship as they seem to need each other (Obsidian is not too big for their britches yet like Bio and Atari is needing a developer that can bring in revenue).

4) A product that makes money has a lot more incentive to be made than one that doesn't

5) Both companies can potentially make a lot of money.

6) It just makes sense

Its nice to see Sawyer updated/said nothing a few days ago. I'll try and poke my nose in about this latest BG3 rumour to him and see if there's any response.

Remember, you heard it here first.

I'm all for a Baldur's Gate sequel!

I dont really sweat messing w/ the "integrity" of the series. The former games are what they are, and nothing can change that. If the new game sucks, so what, if it's good then I'll be happy.

Well I'm not sure what you are getting at Kazuke except to try and say with certainty that there is no way that Black Hound is this. I'm merely suggesting that it very well could be based on these facts:
I was merely suggesting that it's quite probable that the reason you haven't heard much about TBH lately is that J.E. Sawyer is a busy guy. He has also said that he has stayed his hand a bit, waiting for the new features in SoZ.

You seem to be missing the point entirely. It doesn't matter if the developer met the deadline or not, it was still Atari's decision to release an unfinished game.

Of course it matters. If you are unable to recognise this, then we have no further to talk about.
Where did I ever indicate that I blamed "everything" on the publisher? I never said that Troika was faultless, I only stated facts that you chose to ignore. Speaking of ignorant....

Well, even your last post contesting whether you've said so, says so (so to say): "It doesn't matter if the developer met the deadline or not, it was still Atari's decision to release an unfinished game."
That means according to your not very broad definition that they're entirely to blame for the release of the unfinished game. At least theoretically.

What facts? If you determine your own opinion to be facts, then I guess you have done nothing other than stating facts. :D Gosh, I love myself for saying these kind of things.
I could easily use the exact same argument for Troika, why would they want to "pitch a game to a publisher with a shorter development cycle and less expensive budget than what is possible" when it's only going to come back and hurt them?

Because otherwise they wouldn't get funded. When an investor already have put money into a project then it is far easier to get that investor to reinvest in the project, because otherwise the investor would lose the already invested money.
Face it, trying to shift 100% of the blame to Troika, which you so desperately seem to be trying to do for some reason, doesn't release Atari from being part of the debacle.

OK, they're both to blame! We've reached an agreeable solution for both parties involved. Indeed a triumph for mankind.

(Don't understand my post in the wrong way, JDR. My less serious side got the better of me.)

While I can't stop it from being developed and released (if the rumour is true), I hope they do not continue with the original BG1/2 storyline.

But god, I wish you guys are all wrong and new BG will never be out. I just don't see how this will be a good outcome. I don't trust neither Atari nor Obsidian.

Miss Purple - didnt they (obsidian & atari) produce NWN 2, a game that you called (and im paraphrasing) something like "the closest thing to bg2 ive played'? I got the impression that you liked NWN2.

Am i mistaken on that one, was that you? I know you like BG2, did you not like NWN2? Did Obsidian and Atari not put that game out?

Besides, I dont get this attitude that people have when something new comes out, tht like all their old titles of the same namesake are going to suddenly disappear or something by the very existence of the new. Nothing will happen to the old BG games by something new coming out. Are we concerned about the honor of the game or something? This isnt honor we're talking about here, nobody is insulting a member or your family. It's a game. If it sucks, dont play it. If it's good, that's great!

Can it not be a "prequel" or somthing? Could there not be another storyline that was going on somewhere else?

Why not take a chance? I mean, the worst thing that can happen is the game sucks and you dont have to play it. Or the game can be good and wow you have a new game to enjoy.

I dont get it.
What have we got to lose?

Just because it was *closest* didn't mean that it was good. I was disappointed in many, many different aspects, you see.

I'm all for new game. But I don't want BG series dragged on. In terms of story, BG saga is finished. Leave it be. Like other people have pointed out if new BG will be out, it will feel so totally different from old BG series. Why the hell do you call it BG then? Make some new franchise, new title. Using BG title is just a cheap way of making money. Prequel? It's already in development by Domi using NWN2 engine. Why am I not fussed about it? Because it's not called BG. It's called Death Stalker and it does not concern PC but events before PC was born. Concerning Gorion and Alianna (PC's mother) and all. That's new. I'm eagerly waiting for it. But just don't call it BG. It's over. Finished. Done.

Nothing's ever truly OVER in popular entertainment, havent you noticed that?

Like I said, I'm fine w/ more BG mat'l, a prequel, more stuff in the setting and location, a story that branches off, whatever. I'm not going to look into the future and determine the game is going to suck or is a bad idea before it's even been made. Admittedly, Im not as passionate about the subject as you, perhaps that's why I'm not bothered by the idea in the least bit.

Who knows maybe we'll get lucky and theyll make a Baldur's Gate FPS!
**runs n hides!**

Back
Top Bottom