Dragon Age 2 - Preview @ Kotaku

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Kotaku has a look at Dragon Age 2 and this is the second article I've seen recently that tries to convince the PC version isn't "dumbed down" - but doesn't actually do anything substantial to address the claim:
BioWare is clearly making a play for a wider audience with Dragon Age II, hence the faster combat, the lower camera angles, the more action-packed presentation of content so far. On the console versions you will be tapping buttons for attacks, using six mapped special moves with a combo pulls of the the right trigger and presses of the other three face buttons. That's actually not new, though the motto the BioWare rep shared for this new game did sound like a shift. The creators of the game want to ensure that each button press makes "something awesome happen."
You can still pause combat. On the console or PC version you can stop the action, transfer from character to character, assigning their one next move (you can't stack commands). Strategic fighting has not been eliminated, just not shown much to the press. BioWare, the rep explained, prefers to show off a more exciting, fast-moving play style for the sequel, even though they support the old-school turn-taking approach. That faster style is what they want to hook Fable fans with, what they think even a Borderlands fan might dig.
More information.

So they are after Fable fans and Borderlands fans. And they have no problem with losing Bioware fans. /facepalm

This whole article sounds like it's written by a bioware apologist were bioware cant do me no wrong previewer that are abundant nowadays.

Yeah another preview who try to speak for the PC version when they haven't saw it at all. By the way, what he say you can do on the PC version, you can also do it on the console versions of the game.

Actually, the real question would be why BioWare isn't showing the PC or PS3 version of the game?

LOL
The creators of the game want to ensure that each button press makes "something awesome happen."

That I think in a nutshell is Biowares current philosophy. How the mighty have fallen.

What worries me most is that according to Laidlaw the camera is always fixed to the character you're controlling. It's worse than just losing the higher tactical view. It at least seems like micromanaging your whole party will be more bothersome than in DA:O.

This was supposed to comfort me, but it just confirmed my fears. Couldn't be less enthused about this game. Seriously BioWare, what...

My money is on the ps3 and pc version will be pushed back for more testing to allow more sales on the 360.It could happen.No preview has played either.

couchpotato, i will do you one better. I say they can the PS3 and Pc version and make it a 360 kiddie console exclusive. Who cares they can keep there money making scam !!! PC gamers have the Witcher 2.

In the last three years Ive come to a conclusion how I feel about Bioware here goes.They can do whatever they want to make money. The problem is they're supposed to be RPG masters and they talk about keeping the RPG alive and yet make action games.Lately it looks like they want to make fps games now also.That is my conclusion.This make me a sad potato.

yes i agree, This is the true first generation of gamers. and it seems that Bio is taking full advantage of the kiddies .Gaming is going in the direction that hollywood went and you see how many great movies have come out as of late .

You can't really support both pause-and-play and continuous play, can you? Pausing gives you FAR more options and time to think. Playing live action requires there be fewer options and easier situations because you have to act fast. So which is it?

Awesome buttons... hehe, reminds me of this video at three minutes in.

Did you here the news , Bioware is coming out with Mass Effect breakfast cereal and inside the box is a free DLC . And Dragon Age vitamins , KOTAR silly bands.

There are some changes PC fans should know, about how their version will differ. First, and this is sort of a non-difference, but the PC game won't be made separately this time. All versions of the game are being made by BioWare's internal teams.

The statement (above) is a an attempt at trying to convince the PC players that they were missing something in DA:O and now, in DA2, they are getting something cool.
Well, they are not. PC version of DA:O was developed by BioWare teams while in the other hand, the console version were developed by other developers. Now, if someone is getting something, it's the console players:

And with computer mice in hand they could assume that BioWare thought of Dragon Age as a PC series first, given that BioWare's internal teams didn't even make the Xbox and PlayStation versions of Origins.

Console version of DA2 (which is nearly identical to the PC version) is an improved version of console version of DA:O. In other words, there is only one DA2, and that's the console version which will be ported to the PC. Now why would those people - with computer mice in their hands- abandon their beloved PC version and move to work on the console version? Because of money. Since PC sales of DA:O were much less than console sales (consisting only 10% of the total sales, if I remember correctly), EA has canned the development of PC version of the game in order to decrease development costs and appeal to the fans of the consoles. Ah, and the fans of Borderlands. It's great to appeal to the fans of Borderlands with a mouse in your hand.

===Edit===

Here's an interesting article on PC Gamer. Thought you might like it.
How the Xbox sucked the life out of Dragon Age

Last edited:
considering i still have to play through awakenings at some point, which may or not be before dragon age 2 comes out, i thankfullly don't have to anticiapte being let down if theres a consensus that it does indeed dragon effect its way to consoloreaha when it comes out in which all the dlc in the world won't make a difference. bioware does make fun games though so it will be intresting to see how it plays out. maybe they're banking on driving those dissatisfied with dragon age 2 on the pc to turn to their love of bioware towards lightsaber lovefests where they can bank on a nice monthly stipend from those craving a more customized gaming experience.

BioWare, the rep explained, prefers to show off a more exciting, fast-moving play style for the sequel, even though they support the old-school turn-taking approach. That faster style is what they want to hook Fable fans with, what they think even a Borderlands fan might dig.

Uh-oh.

I see two things in this :

2. Attract Fable fans ? SURE ??? Fable fans would love to play a bloody, dark, gritty, grim role-playing game where characters are full of blood after every battle ??? FABLE FANS ???

This is just insane. You are trying to sell a death metal music album to a lover of simple, almost innocent pop music.

1. Now, EVERYONE shows action nowadays ! There just is no difference anymore ! When I was on the Games Com, everyone was trying to surpass the other one with showing EVEN MORE action ! After the presentation of Deus Ex 3, there were 3 games shown - and ALL of the trailers consisted of NOTHING but loed, violent gun shooting ! And fast movement !

It became dull at one point. It was to me as if there was no difference anymore. It's like … 120 fast food restaurants are battling for the attention of 120 customers … and EVERYONE of these fast food restaurants believes that ALL 120 customers want nothing but fast food !

You just can't listen 24 hours the day to the same music. It becomes just dull at one point.

Plus, you need time for something different as well, like … eating and drinking, for example. ;)

The less new and fresh ideas on the market, the more forced/forcing the advertisement ?

Awesome buttons… hehe, reminds me of this video at three minutes in.

"Touch my awesome button!" Great stuff Zloth.

Thanks for reminding me about Rooster Teeth. I haven't watched any of their stuff since The Strangerhood.

Uh-oh.

I see two things in this :

2. Attract Fable fans ? SURE ??? Fable fans would love to play a bloody, dark, gritty, grim role-playing game where characters are full of blood after every battle ??? FABLE FANS ???

I'd say that we have to translate this statement as them actually whishing to attract what _they_ perceive as making the bulk of Fable fans : impatient teenagers uninterested by too "many" tactical options. /rolleyes.

Awesome buttons… hehe, reminds me of this video at three minutes in.

Heh, nice video Zloth. Someone should email that to whichever jackass at Bioware said that. Personally, I could most likely live without something awesome happening every time I push a button. :p

Back
Top Bottom