Risen Ranger - Bow character viable?

mastorofpuppetz

Watchdog
I have read there is an issue with bow stats not working properly, the little I used the bow my first time through it didnt seem to work well.

I usually like playing through as a ranger at least once, is it vialbe to play through the game as purely a Bow'd, ranger?

There appears to be a bug where the bow and crossbow skills don't decrease the reload time stated in the skill description, for levels 1-5 or something like that. But i also read somewhere that at level 10 they work as promised. I'm not 100% certain about that since i haven't played a bow character through.

I started one up to level 8 but it was all about backpedaling and running away from the enemies. Higher levels, skills and stronger bows would of course remedy that, but then again the enemies get tougher too. Those aren't Hungry Wolves you'll be shooting at level 20 for the most part, i had to back off from a whole lot of them later-level goons even as a full-fledged soldier.

edit; snipped off a possible spoiler.

Last edited:
As mentioned before there is a bug wherein reload times are not improved for higher levels of archery UNTIL you reach level 10. At that point, you really do fire twice as fast and it makes a world of difference.

So with the current game, I'd say being a ranger is viable only if you fastrack either bow or crossbow to get to level 10 ASAP.

At the end of the game I was level 10 bow, with 118 dex and a 80 dmg. bow. I could take down the hardest enemies with a few shots. However, you still need to backpedal and use tactics when in tight quarters.

It would be good to have swords trained up to level 7 or so. That way you have some skills to finish off the enemy when they get close. The traditional "ranger" is supposed to be competent with the sword anyway.

Are there any good dex based weapons like in Master Sword in G2?

So far I've seen these:
Sabre and Rapier.

You've seen the best they've got, then. There is no equivalent "uber" finesse weapon like G2's Master Sword in Risen.

There isn't? Are you 100% sure? If that's the case, then Ranger-type characters really suck in Risen. :(

Originally Posted by elkston
You've seen the best they've got, then. There is no equivalent "uber" finesse weapon like G2's Master Sword in Risen.
There isn't? Are you 100% sure? If that's the case, then Ranger-type characters really suck in Risen.

he is talking about dexterity sword and dexterity is focued on range and close combat.

i have a ranger char which owns btw lol, im in chapter 4 now and i own everthing in 4 shots max

Risen as actually balanced combat out evenly, don't think just because wolves are easy with close combat, they are easy with range, wolves actually has high peircing resistance where as ghouls are very easy with range.

Another example is when I use my close comabt build, with 160 str and soul drinker with captain armor I find it very difficult to beat an ogre since the ogre can kill me in 2 shots and I need deal about 10 hits to kill it.
But with my ranger build with 110 dex, bow with 50 damage (forgot the name) and order warrior armor, ogre are very easy, takes me about 5-6 shots and the ogre cant land a blow on me because they are slow and they lose their attention very easily.

This is good to hear because I'm developing a DEX Mage (just starting Ch2). The rapier seems to be enough for common animals and gnomes and magic missile for the higher end baddies. I plan to get DEX up to 70 for the 70 damage war bow mainly to conserve mana.

he is talking about dexterity sword and dexterity is focued on range and close combat.

i have a ranger char which owns btw lol, im in chapter 4 now and i own everthing in 4 shots max

Risen as actually balanced combat out evenly, don't think just because wolves are easy with close combat, they are easy with range, wolves actually has high peircing resistance where as ghouls are very easy with range.

Another example is when I use my close comabt build, with 160 str and soul drinker with captain armor I find it very difficult to beat an ogre since the ogre can kill me in 2 shots and I need deal about 10 hits to kill it.
But with my ranger build with 110 dex, bow with 50 damage (forgot the name) and order warrior armor, ogre are very easy, takes me about 5-6 shots and the ogre cant land a blow on me because they are slow and they lose their attention very easily.

?? This does not add up, with my melee character, I easily beat ogres, with 170 strength and the soul drinker, and few power shots with the sword, they go down. I use my tactics =, and at this stage nothing gives me trouble.

There isn't? Are you 100% sure? If that's the case, then Ranger-type characters really suck in Risen. :(

There are enough potions, amulets, plants, LP, and other bonuses to create a character with high (over 100) dex, STR, sword, AND Bow/crossbow. So you can be

In the end of my first playthrough I had 118 DEX, 105 STR, 10 bows, 10 sword. It can be done. You could also focus more on dex sacrificing some strength and still use the best 1-handed or bastard swords. (I don't think a proper "role playing" ranger should use 2 handed swords).

It is pretty viable. I reached bow level 10 today and went all Legolas on some black wolfs and ghoul :D

Back
Top Bottom