New Grimoire Kickstarter (Not the Vapoware Game)

He already released a superdemo representing 25% of the game and 60 hours of content, more than virtually any game released nowadays. I don't understand why some people insist to say that to see the game completed very soon is far fetched.

I think there are some people who will have to eat their hat on short notice. I sure can't wait to play it. A pure incline RPG, with no streamlining and no compromises whatsoever.

I would be with you, except for the fact that if your post was dated September 17th 2003 it would probably be the same text.

There's also the not-so-inconsequential fact that he is a pathological liar.

He already released a superdemo representing 25% of the game and 60 hours of content, more than virtually any game released nowadays. I don't understand why some people insist to say that to see the game completed very soon is far fetched.
Well, that's because of the history of the game, which has been close to release again and again and again. And again.

I fail to see what's different this time.
I think there are some people who will have to eat their hat on short notice. I sure can't wait to play it. A pure incline RPG, with no streamlining and no compromises whatsoever.
By all means, if it gets released now, I'm happy for CB and those who want to play the game, best wishes.

pibbur who hates the little wolf because he already said this. Should have hated him. Actually not. So, rephrasing the sig.:

pibbur who .... eh .... ..

I happen to work in intellectual property and brand protection. I just looked at the Kickstarter under the assumption that it was another RPG, and come to find out it is a FPS, at least according to the description. Courts aren't necessarily made up of gamers (and there is obviously a lot of gray area to brand protection), but the two products seem different enough to me that I just don't think it would hold up in court.

Oh man, this is golden…
To be honest, it all sounds like a bunch of bluff to me (on CB's part).

Just a wild guess, but it's probably because of the missing 75% of the game, the developer, and the nearly 20 years of development time.

Instead of the hat eating business, let's take a bet on it? What do you say?

I remember when I first heard about Grimoire how excited I was. It was around 2000 or so. After a few years I let it go and moved on to other indie games and small companies. If Grimoire gets released I would not buy it now because I would not want to give any money to a guy that acts that way.

I have no problem giving cash to projects and have supported many kickstarters. After so many years you would just like him to go away.

I found a new article with the games developer Omni Connection. They finally speak out about the situation, and their not changing the games name.

Link- http://twodashstash.com/2014/09/gri...ire-kickstarter-developers-copyright-lawsuit/
“Under advice from our lawyer, Ryan Morrison, OmniConnection filed a trademark application for “Grimoire” earlier this year. Now our game, Grimoire, is being challenged by someone making a game called Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar. Cleve Blakemore, the man behind the other Grimoire, has no interest in playing nice — let alone handling this issue in a civil manner. If Mr. Blakemore had approached us by extending an olive branch, we would be happy to walk the path of least resistance. However, his bullying has resolved us to stay the course.

Cleve...the gift that keeps on giving.

20 years of fun and it keeps going.

I was actually excited about grimoire at first. I loved wizardry 7 ánd it loooked like a wiz7 clone.

Perhaps another 20 years and it will be finished?

Oh but wait Cleve isn't done yet just read the new comments. This is hilarious, but I guess he doesn't know by antagonizing them he makes his case worse.

The following quotes will be put in spoiler tags due to the length.

Ryan Morrison - The Omni Connection Attorney

Hi folks! My name is Ryan Morrison, and some of you may know me as the "VideoGameAttorney" on Reddit, where I host a weekly free legal advice series. I've been doing it a while now and have never charged a penny for the advice. It's easy to find, and a quick google could have shown Mr. Blakemore here that this was the least professional and most silly way to handle things.

He was aware I was representing Omniconnection (as the page full of "creative" insults he's come up with me will show) and any civil human being would have contacted me instead of a kickstarter comment page.

I'd never comment publicly on a legal matter involving a client, but the amount of cyber bullying here has actually escalated to the point of a crime.

I'd like to make it very clear that I will be helping omniconnection for free in this matter, as bullies don't get to "win the internet" anymore just because they speak angrily.

A failed game idea from 18 years ago is not a product. I suggest you google trademark law. Also, Mr. Blakemore's reputation could not be worse. He is universally hated. The idea my client used a name to try and steal some of THAT guy's press is looney tunes crazy town.

All that said, I apologize if this post is just feeding the trolls. I just wanted to make it clear no one will be bleeding Omniconnection dry with bullying legal tactics, as they won't be paying for legal costs.

Now go back this beautiful game!
Mr. Cleveland Mark Blakemore - Insane Developer/Master Troll

You sound like the kind of lawyer who probably would have to Google trademark law, Ryan. What were you doing before you became a superhero gloryhole beard man? Representing people who were rear ended at traffic lights? I heard lawyers in the United States nowadays are likely to end up mopping floors in massage parlours to make ends meet.

Ryan, are you familiar from your "legal training" (India diploma mill) with common law trademark establishment? You should look in some of those "books" they gave you at "law school" when you were getting your edjamafacashun instead of Google, Ryan.

It requires three things :
1. Public recognition of the name in association with a brand (registered or not)
2. Prior expression of an economic interest associated with a brand name
3. Public demonstration, sale or release of a product that represents the associated economic interest (like for example a super demo that is a complete game in itself with 200 hours of play)

So, "VideoGameAttorney" gloryhole beardman, I am filing right now. Give me some time, it costs money. I am sure you will be more than happy to bankrupt your client but trust me he will run out of steam long before I do. Are you aware of the apocrypha about me prosecuting people previously in the United States despite the fact I live in Australia? It is a lot easier than you might think to extend the long reach of the arm of the law.

It is money I did not want to spend. We will discuss this further soon gloryhole beard superhero. I am just filing now so I can have a case number for Kickstarter.

In a Pepsi-drenched bunker somewhere, the saga continues. Good for giggles at least, and as others have said, if this game ever were released, I wouldn't buy it based on general principle alone. Never donate to tools.

We have more more replies from today. So read on my fellow watchers.

Mr. Cleveland Mark Blakemore - Insane Developer/Master Troll

Kickstarter requires me to attempt to contact you first using the details on your site before I file my complaint with them, so I am doing that now.

Will you remove your Kickstarter campaign under the current name you are using, which you clearly demonstrated from all your actions is in direct conflict with my own longstanding a priori use of that brand name? I believe that your project is attempting to capitalise on my two decade old establishment of that name in association with excellence in games design and that your campaign is a deliberate attempt to confuse consumers so as to secure pledges from people who may be mislead into believing that your game is somehow associated with mine.

I have contacted you twice previously through the form on your web site many months ago but never received a reply.

Before attempting to trademark this brand name you demonstrated clear knowledge of the conflict that existed with another brand and this is obviously the trigger for your attempt to copyright the name.
My game has always been known as "Grimoire," since 1995 when it was first announced on gaming sites and in print by computer magazines. It is only in the last two years it had a subtitle but this was not an abridgement of the original title, "Grimoire."

I am currently preparing to file my counterclaim on the U.S. trademark site prior to your closing date in October. I would remind you that your trademark has only been issued as a temporary announcement and is not formally completed yet pending challenges from other users of that brand, which I am ready to do now. I don't want to spend the filing fee so I hope you will respond within the next day or so.

Once I have that filing number and my challenge is visible on the public trademark web site I will use that docket number when I register my grievances with Kickstarter. You can save me the cost of that filing fee by simply changing the name of your game. The name was never appropriate for your game to begin with and was a poor choice for a game in this genre.

Omni Connection - Game Developer/ Name Stealer

Awesome test tonight! A huge thank you to everyone who showed up we had a blast playing with and meeting you all. If you didn't get a chance to play there will be plenty of other chances in future tests.

We gathered a ton of great feedback tonight and will be spending the time until the next test (TBA) getting as much new content, polish, and bug fixes in as we can. We are also very close to getting through Greenlight which will make play testing a lot easier and will allow us to do so much more than we can with our current systems.

We also have some exciting updates coming up that includes some fantastic artwork from Justin, more information about the future of the game, the rest of the classes, and much more!

If you have any more feedback, constructive criticism, or bug reports we would love to hear from you. Thanks again everyone for making it a great test we really couldn't do this without you!

And that's not all he continues his rants once again.

I offered some constructive criticism. Your name isn't really very well chosen for the style of game and it has been in continuous use for 17 years by somebody else. Change it.

I will help you think of a decent replacement name because you guys sound like you'd be really challenged to come up with something good.

I will wait until morning there tomorrow and then file if I receive no response to my direct contact with you. This will be my third attempt to contact you, twice before at your web site, to which you never responded.

What about "Fanbois Hexen Mod of Destiny." It just popped into my head. I will give you that one for free, I can see it in some kind of bold text in 3D relief with a wizard's hat painted on the corner. It's perfect. I just have a gift that way.

Does that mean your client will not be responding to the message I just sent him, as Kickstarter requires someone to do before contacting them? Confirm or deny.

Less ambiguity would help you guys. Are you speaking for your client? Are they your client? Are you the point of contact or is your client according to the rules that govern Kickstarter campaigns?

Just confirm for me so I won't have to wait another 12 hours to give a reasonable time for your client to respond, but the truth is I don't know for a fact you have any authority to represent your client in this Kickstarter campaign. For all I know, you could just be a roving gloryhole superhero neckbeard at large who goes around pretending he is representing people.

How do you find time to post here with a prestigious roster of clients like Andrew Weiner? Couldn't this reflect badly on his reputation? You wouldn't want people to think you represent flakes, psychopaths and degenerates.

Also in your reply, do you ever get dizzy from carbon monoxide fumes when you are chasing ambulances throughout the city? Do you deliberately try to jog along on the other side of the tailpipe and sort of suck breaths from the window of clean oxygen left in the slipstream of the ambulance as it speeds towards the hospital?

Do you know why everybody loves lawyers, Ryan? It is because they are the most wonderful people on earth. We know it to be a fact because lawyers never get tired of telling anyone who will listen how wonderful they are. So that's the word that people use to describe them behind closed doors. Wonderful.

I have looked through the links and information for OmniConnection and no where do I see you mentioned as the contact point for this Kickstarter campaign. It is not me wasting space on the comment page.

It is you. You need your name listed on this campaign as somebody authorised as a contact for the campaign and you're not on there. For all I know you're just a random poster spamming this comments section.

And the Lawyer responds once again.

Stop. You sound so silly. Weren't you suing us? Your lawsuits come as quickly as your game releases.

Please email me. It's not a secret address. ryan@ryanmorrisonlaw.com. I'd be happy to explain trademark law to you or how you spending 225 on a half hour legal consultation wasn't the best value you could have found. That could have been spent backing this beautiful game instead!

Stay tuned to see what happens next on my favorite new soap opera "Days of Cleveland", and just so you all know I copyrighted that title.;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom