What are you reading?

I've tired to read the first Amber book 3 times I think and I just never could get into it at all. I grew up on the old sci-fi authors so I'm surprised at my thoughts of blahness to the first book.

I was a bit disappointed with the Amber series, TBH. Decent stuff, but nowhere near my favorites. The omnibus Corwin mentions is a good idea, though, if you're going to read it.

I would add Simon Green's Nightside series to Rills' list. Although there are a few outings that are merely good, the majority of the series is very enjoyable. I think his Drood series might also fit that list, but I'm only 1 book in so it's a little early to say for certain.

Let's see, for me since my last post: Speaks the Nightbird duology from Robert McCammon (not bad, but he never really got back his mojo from his horror days), Tricked from Kevin Hearne (a better entry for the series than the previous one but nothing real special), and I'm working on Shadow's Edge from Brent Weeks right now (enjoyable so far, but I'm only 25% in)

As always lots of good ideas & recommendations. For me I have been reading a mix of older/or older style epic fantasy, Waylander - David Gemmell, - A Crown for Cold Silver - Alex Marshall etc. Also some newer SF such as - Girl in the Road - Monica Byrne, Stars Reach: A Novel of a Deindustrial Future - John Michael Greer, Station Eleven - Emily St. John Mandel & Lagoon - Nnedi Okarafor . All I would recomend although the SF was stronger plotting, character development than the epic fantasy.

Just finished Red Shirts by John Scalzi. I have to say I'm a little underwhelmed by it, especially after all the hype it's received; Hugo award, Locus award, NYT bestseller ,etc etc. It's certainly not bad, contains some interesting premises and was pretty funny in spots, but nothing mind-blowing like I expected. Maybe my expectations were just a little too high.

I have to say my favorite parts were the three codas at the end of the book focusing on three different minor characters. These were excellent.

@ Nameless one - You are going to absolutely love the whole Amber Series. It is one of the best I have ever read. Roger Zelazney was such an excellent writer and a master of the short story. If you ever get the chance read his short story entitled The Last Defender of Chamelot.

Jack Vance's Lyonesse Trilogy - the man was a bonified word smith and this high fantasy is top notch. His Dying Earth Series is very unique.

Glen Cook's Garret, P.I. series - really fun and very creative series about a freelance private investigator set in a fantasy world. Its Film Noir meets Fantasy and the combination is excellent.

RogerZelazney's Amber Series as noted.

Jim Butcher - The Dresden Files where Film Noir meets serious fantasy set in modern times.

I read few Dresden files books and liked them but I did find them as good as mots people say they are.

I will add but all of those on my to read list but I really shouldn't touch anything from Glen Cook until I finish his Black company series which is standing on my shelf for over year and the half.

The Amber series are actually all available in one large book from Amazon; best way to get them. You may note how much I think of them from the online name I chose MANY, MANY years ago!! :)

I already ordered hard copies.I usualy buy .epub versions of books but from time to time I feel need to increase my book shelf

As for my current reads, I been reading bit of sci-fi.

Embassytown by China Mievile.I been meaning to read something of his for some time(I only read his City and the city).It was weird book and I mean that in good way.
Martian-I actually liked Weir even before this book.His short stories are really good and I wanted to read book before movie ruins it.I really liked it.It's funny, exciting and mostly realistic(there is one big inaccuracy and few smaller ones but let's not nitpick).
Way station-sci-fi classic from 60's and it was strange, short and really good.

Last edited:
I've just started the Man in the High Castle, a 1962 Philip K Dick novel set in a world where the Nazis won the second world war. Pretty good so far. I have an Inspector Montalbano lined up after this, never read one before but it's a present so I'm going to give it a go!

I'm trying the Imager Portfolio books from Modesitt. I thought the first one was okay, though LEM doesn't do romance well at all. The 2nd book is really, really dragging. It is almost unbearably dull. I wish they'd unchain the protagonist from the College. His superior is as interesting as dried dog shit.

The 2nd book seems to be all about having dinner dates with Seliora and boring patrol work with the fantasy police. Nice descriptions of food and wine if that's your fancy. I think about 60 pages of this book have been about meals.

Just started on the Demon Accords books by John Conroe. First one wasn't too bad, but it'll be interesting to see if he can keep things going. Had a good reading binge on Urban Fantasy books at the mo, Alex Verus series by Benedict Jacka, Felix Castor series by Mike Carey, Dog Days series by John Levitt. Anything to keep me occupied while wanting for another Dresden Files book.

Last edited:
I'm trying the Imager Portfolio books from Modesitt. I thought the first one was okay, though LEM doesn't do romance well at all. The 2nd book is really, really dragging. It is almost unbearably dull. I wish they'd unchain the protagonist from the College. His superior is as interesting as dried dog shit.

The 2nd book seems to be all about having dinner dates with Seliora and boring patrol work with the fantasy police. Nice descriptions of food and wine if that's your fancy. I think about 60 pages of this book have been about meals.

Strange, I love the Imager series; I prefer it to Recluse. I've read all 9 novels and can't wait for the 10th.

I'm almost done with book two of the Farseer Trilogy, Royal Assassin. I really dig the slow burn this author does with the protagonist, there is a lot of backround info and such going on, but I get the feeling something serious is going to happen at some point. I've already got book three lined up!

Strange, I love the Imager series; I prefer it to Recluse. I've read all 9 novels and can't wait for the 10th.

I'm sure it will pick up. I liked the first book fairly well. I'm not done with book 2, about a 1/3 through and it is very slow. I loved most of the Recluce books, but there was a clunker or two in those also.

LEM builds worlds slowly and he's all about the personal development of characters so some of his books are less 'actiony' to coin a word. The second Imager series has lots more big battles and action if that's what you enjoy.

I keep thinking you guys mean Stanislaw Lem, and I'm all "How are there books by Lem I've never heard of??"

I'm almost done with book two of the Farseer Trilogy, Royal Assassin. I really dig the slow burn this author does with the protagonist, there is a lot of backround info and such going on, but I get the feeling something serious is going to happen at some point. I've already got book three lined up!

Without trying to give anything away, the author really drags Fitz through the mud in the trilogy. And the mud goes very deep.

Just finished The Mechanical (The Alchemy Wars #1) by Ian Tregillis
Interesting semi-steampunk with clever ideas and written reflecting the alternate history. (Also looks at identity, not as good as Rupetta by Nike Solway in that area but still interesting.)

I really like them! I prefer the second trilogy though, the Golden Fool one.

Thanks for the heads up on the Imager series, will put them on my To Read list. Never got into the Recluse series, read the first few books but they just didn't grab me.

Just finished Anthony Ryan's Blood Song, a very good book. Reminds me of a slightly grittier, more cynical The Name of the Wind. Great debut book from Anthony Ryan, going to have to read the rest of his trilogy.

Just finished Anthony Ryan's Blood Song, a very good book. Reminds me of a slightly grittier, more cynical The Name of the Wind. Great debut book from Anthony Ryan, going to have to read the rest of his trilogy.

Blood Song is indeed an excellent book but the follow-up Tower Lord was a big disappointment for me. Blood Song was told from the point of view of the main character Vaelin Al Sorna and it was about the brothers of the Sixth Order etc. However in Tower Lord the format changes and the story is told from the point of view of about 4 different characters and one of whom is Vaelin Al Sorna. Just because of this change whole feel of the first book is gone and it becomes just another fantasy story for me. Part of the problem was that, I didn't care much about some of the other point of view characters.

Anyone read The Man in the High Castle? I see Amazon is doing a series this fall, thinking about reading the book first :)

Back
Top Bottom