Age of Wonders 3 - Preview @ Quarter To Three

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
If you feel like reading a new preview for Age of Wonders 3 then head over to
Quarter To Three were the writer shares his opinion.

It’s a pretty grand time to be into turn-based fantasy strategy games. Fallen Enchantress, Eador, Warlock, and Dominions 4 are all well worth playing for distinct reasons. And with the release of Triumph Studios’ Age of Wonders III at the end of this month, it might get to be an even better time.

Age of Wonders III is very much a military-centric fantasy game with a hearty layer of spellcasting on top. It’s much more like Warlock: Masters of the Arcane than Elemental or Eador, with minimized city building and empire management in favor of moving around stacks of units and pitting them against other stacks of units in tactical combat. Short stacks. Don’t expect to group more than six units at a time. Also, make sure to leave some units to defend your city. This isn’t one of those games where you get a favorite stack to do all the heavy lifting.

The economics are pretty lite, with only a couple of resources. But the amount of detail when you level up (or custom-build) a hero is pretty hardcore, with all sorts of options for a +1 here or -1 there. This is a game that allows for some persnickety specialization, to the point that leveling up often seems like an easy choice. Why would I spend one point for, say, sleep resistance when I could save up a few more points to raise my unit’s health? The thinking seems to be that with more choices, there’s more freedom to develop your characters and armies however you like.
Thank you Thrasher for the link.
smiley-wink.gif

More information.

I'm looking forward to AOW3 and Warlock2 (some youtubers have access to a build to show it off) is looking pretty sexy too.

This article isn't much of an article - more like screenshots with captions and a fondness for tooltips (that I can appreciate).

Never heard about Warlock 2 before. I seems that it's woth a closer look.
Thanks for the hint, Voqar! :)

The first Warlock was pretty fun. Didn't know there was a sequel in the works. Thanks for the info =)

Back
Top Bottom